This game has no future until we get a new director

By now it should be very clear to anyone playing that our current game director does not understand how to run a MMO in 2021. This is the person who brought us 1 year of a single buster quest and wanted everyone to quit their classes to all play Hero as his solution to class balancing. He nearly killed this game on the JP version during this fiasco.

This person allowed a game to release with tons of game breaking bugs and 5 hours of content. After 3 months of dev time, all his team has to show is a single class (which isn't content) and a single emergency quest. A game barren with content and constant complaints of nothing to do, and his grand plan is to take 3 months to release a single EQ and expects it to last 3 more months until the winter patch.

I'm sorry but this is not acceptable. This person VERY clearly has no idea what type of game he is making and it's not the genre Sega labels it and is advertising it. No amount of development time and waiting can save this game with it's current direction. We need someone new in charge that actually understands how to make a MMO in 2021 - someone who can provide us with an ACTUAL game to play, not whatever this game currently is.

While we are at it, change out also the people at charge of the Twitter account. It is incredibly embarrassing and tone deaf.

Well the director has a horrible track record of botching up all his projects and is already hated by the Japanese playerbase. Not sure what kind of drugs SEGA was on when they choose him to be the director.

Maybe sega knew they had nothing much to offer and chose a hate sink as the "director" in a self-fulfilling prophecy until they have something to show. Then they'll conveniently get replaced, regardless of the fact that they weren't really directing anything, just following orders. Next time they want to test something he'll be back as the "director".

I mean, nobody can make the same mistake 10 times by accident, right?

9 Scratch banners, 90 Day Premium purchase campaigns, stuff behind STEEP scratch incentives (60+ bruh) day one. Releasing more classes instead of releasing actual content. Like ok dude, you expect me to be ok running the same content again just because there is a "new" class thats rereleasing with an unoriginal kit ported from the old game. I'd be 100% ok if instead of rushing out classes with only 3 PAs and a ton of bugs, if they would instead put that effort into releasing less, but more fleshed out classes or at least more content. Oh and the recent survey on monetization that asks questions about why or why not you're not spending money is the biggest slap in the face. They clearly show that they care more about milking what little they have to show while putting big price tags on certain things, hoping that the few whales fund the game instead of more people making small purchases. Don't even get me started on the poor replayability of the current content. Waiting X minutes and doing nothing in hopes of not missing out on a boss the moment you do something else, is not content nor is it fun.

I think that I have mentioned this before, At least in the JP side of things, Some of the devs that are running things become egotistical with an abundance of pride that overwhelms any creative criticism that is recieved. In the end- What you essentially have to do is get on bended knee and somehow convince them that your idea was initially "HIS" idea - That would be the only way to make them do anything. Granted also taking all the credit for such ideas as well. This Gross double standard sometimes is enough to give you a Headache.

This is exaclty the reason SEGA of America was dismissed.

The only real way , that they would do anything at this point , Is when it starts to hurt the most, In thier pocket books.

@Sakesubaki said in This game has no future until we get a new director:

Some of the devs that are running things become egotistical with an abundance of pride that overwhelms any creative criticism that is recieved.

Thats actually a great number of devs world wide now. My take on it (and something i told a peofessor once) is The thing about being a software developer, and especially so as a creative developer, is that some consider it the closest thing to god a human can get as being able to create living worlds even tho its digital. A lot of developers let this go to their head in the worst way, and lately have become absolutely woke over their creations.

For instance the dev who worked on a character in the star wars: squadrons game who went out of 'its' way to insure people know to refer to the character with 'them, they, or they're'. Ofc that person was promply put on blast for it as no one was even caring about that. but they are often getting on a high and mighty hi that they wont accept any critisms and believe nothing they do can be wrong.

I feel the bigger game developers as a whole end up initially forgetting why video games ever came into existance and chase the wrong goal. Sega (and recently blizzard) is being an example of a company that doesnt appear to realize theyre doing a lot of things wrong, while SquareEnix (and previously bethesda) can be an example of companies that eventually realize what they did didnt make their customers happy, acknowledged, and repaired.

I kind of feel like the culture differences is also another wall we have to climb in order for our voices to be heard. There is this bias that Western players are spoiled and entitled, but most of the forum posts I have observed from those that genuinely care and want the game to succeed have done well to point out what they feel the problems are with the game as well as offer ideas on how to take corrective action to address said problems.

It is both frustrating and disheartening for those who take the time to put their concerns into words, with ideas to help, and only to receive deafening silence as a response. And it is especially true considering Sega put a universally disliked individual in charge of NGS when they have a pretty extensive and distinct past on pissing off a lot of the playerbase with their previous decisions.

What worries me the most, is that Sega will continue to ignore feedback from their global playerbase (due to their own biases of the Western playerbase noted above) to then shut down the global side of NGS due to a "lack of interest". I understand that this is the absolute worst case scenario, but the prospect has flickered in my mind.

I love Sega and the Phantasy Star franchise but they always seem to be disconnected with the player base. The way Yuji Naka reacted in this article says a lot about Sega. And I am afraid the current director of PSO 2 would react the same if told something negative:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/7/15222852/peter-moore-sega-yuji-naka

But that new director probably shouldnt be anyone from SEGA at this point...

And you know what the funny part about all that is? Well, From the JP persepctive, Whenever they see us "WESTERNERS" Do a review on some product from japan, It is met with a grain of salt, and portrayed as having us as .. "Entitled", Or even spoiled, Such mentality is spread to the Japanese masses that makes them Hate us, Because then they start to wonder - " Hasn't any American ever seen the rest of the world?" Thats the thing, WE DO...

They really need to start diversifying their own metallity, The past is the past, there is so much BIAS still from past events in History, I really feel that in some cases It may be hindering their own overwhelming success.

@Yeah-Yeah-Beebiss said in This game has no future until we get a new director:

I love Sega and the Phantasy Star franchise but they always seem to be disconnected with the player base. The way Yuji Naka reacted in this article says a lot about Sega. And I am afraid the current director of PSO 2 would react the same if told something negative:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/7/15222852/peter-moore-sega-yuji-naka

From the Megamind that then brought us Balan Wonderworld.

Ye sadly if things stay as they now the game is dead.

To be honest i believe he is only being used as Scapegoat.

Sega knew they are going to release a shitty game so they choose him as director because his name is already as dirty as the great mighty poo. So yeah they took him because he has nothing to lose anymore and someone needs to direct this crap. Sega knew very well they are about to release a game most would call a beta if not even a late Alpha.

I dont expect the director to be replaced until Sega earns less money. Seeing how many people are excited about the new AC stuff tells me the Scapegoat will stay a while until Sega needs to improve the game itself. Once that happens another director will gladly accept and take all the honor.

Keep in mind Sega is a company and companys play dirty. We are just customers and as long as we pay everything is alright.

I don't believe that he is being used in that way at all. He is under the "PRIME DIRECTIVE" of the original Dev's, So - He's got Marching orders. So far - has has complyed with every single request that was asked of him. I he decides to Go against what he is being told to do, That would be the only way.

Companys in that sense don't play dirty, It's called "BUSSINESS" and there is more that is going on behind the scenes to run that Bussiness.