NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...

Ok, this could potentially be an unpopular opinion, I'm not actually sure, but I'm sure you'll let me know.

The gameplay is pretty boring.

The environments. Mind-blowing. Breathtaking. The world is amazing. Definite Xenoblade X/BOTW vibes. The mobility and traversal of that world, even better. Really excited for other biomes.

The gameplay, in my opinion, feels half baked. Although you get the initial impression that the combat has been re-worked and it feels new and because it's new, it's kind of exciting, but after playing for a while...I'm sorry but this feels almost as basic as PSO Episode I & 2, but with parrying/dodging.

Each weapon has 3 arts, count 'em, 3. There is so little variety in the combat flow for every single class in the game, and multi weapon doesn't really fix this because of the damage reduction to non-main class weapons and of course, the lack of being able to really tailor your augments to two things at once with the exception of a couple augment series' that target either 2 different potencies or is potency universal.

It means that no matter what class you play, after a few hours you will find out what does the most damage in which situation, and you will be spamming...the same exact PA over, and over, and over, and over. In some cases, some weapons or PAs are straight up garbage or inferior to other options, narrowing the pool further. I play hunter, so tell me why I would ever equip a Partizan when a Sword does everything it does 10x better? I multi-wepped a Wirelance in to my main weapon for gap closing and air mobility, but why would I ever use any of those trash PAs?

So the end result?

I spam the spinny one for AOE, I spam the upper-cut one for lucky crit chains and more isolated hit-zone damage, and I spam the anime-cleave for down phases.

It's...fun for a little while, but it has gotten pretty rote, very fast. Add to that there's pretty much no content other than doing the dailies every day to get extra cubes for future potential lvl4s...and yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with how barebones this game feels. It sure feels like there's a lot of things to spend money on though...

(For the record I'm at 1450+ BP)

Which is sad because it's a beautiful game and feels good to play, there's just...not enough of it.

I know that it's a new game, and they're gonna make more content, yada yada, I get it, I'm just adding to the sentiment that I think all games should be released as more full experiences, instead of this whole trend of releasing at the absolute barest of bones, and then promise that it's gonna get better, oh boy, just you wait!

😐

Partizan has options superior to Sword. Using Slide End Scythe with Avenger in many situations beats out Spiral Edge or anything Sword can actually do. Similarly you can setup full PP bar Stab Javelin avenger on some attacks where Sword could only setup a single counter. It's just lagging behind in overall use and Fatal Tornado is fairly useless.

Even WL brings some new things to Sword as it can instantly click Avenger on a couple of PAs without charging and get more damage out of it than either of guard/step/uncharged PA options. The 10% bonus shuts a lot of cross class uses of weapons for the purpose of single target DPS since it's super competitive from meta perspective, but bringing weapons for AoE is still fair game.

@Hooonter said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

Partizan has options superior to Sword. Using Slide End Scythe with Avenger in many situations beats out Spiral Edge or anything Sword can actually do. Similarly you can setup full PP bar Stab Javelin avenger on some attacks where Sword could only setup a single counter. It's just lagging behind in overall use and Fatal Tornado is fairly useless.

Even WL brings some new things to Sword as it can instantly click Avenger on a couple of PAs without charging and get more damage out of it than either of guard/step/uncharged PA options. The 10% bonus shuts a lot of cross class uses of weapons for the purpose of single target DPS since it's super competitive from meta perspective, but bringing weapons for AoE is still fair game.

Yeah I'm not buyin' any of that for Partizan...I've tested the thing out seven ways from Sunday, it's just way easier to spam the Sword things because things die quickly all the same and Spinny move has better mobility than Slide End, and for bosses on downs nothing beats Anime Cleave.

Wirelance is trash (except for the gap closer), and I'm gonna need to see some demonstrations if anyone wants to claim it isn't.

My only problem with the combat is the animation locking, I prefer the smoothness of the original.

@Zipzo said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

@Hooonter said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

Yeah I'm not buyin' any of that for Partizan...I've tested the thing out seven ways from Sunday, it's just way easier to spam the Sword things because things die quickly all the same and Spinny move has better mobility than Slide End, and for bosses on downs nothing beats Anime Cleave.

Wirelance is trash (except for the gap closer), and I'm gonna need to see some demonstrations if anyone wants to claim it isn't.

Yeah, no. Objectively wrong.

Sometimes I feel most of the playerbase doesn't understand the game and are just doing whatever and then make threads and complaints like these.

@El-Zenchi said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

@Zipzo said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

Sometimes I feel most of the playerbase doesn't understand the game and are just doing whatever and then make threads and complaints like these.

You have failed to supply proof, such as a damage chart. Or TTK on high hp monsters.

I don't mind the over world. It really does feel like they took inspiration from Xenoblade X/Chronicles X. For Chronicles X, I no lifed that game on the Wii U lol.

@Amazingpaint69 said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

My only problem with the combat is the animation locking, I prefer the smoothness of the original.

The bane of knuckle users. This is why I open combos with the second part of Thousand Blows to get that hit-stop animation lock out of my face, so I can counter sway the next incoming attack.

@El-Zenchi said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

Ok buddy, nice "objective" data you got there to back up your point lol

@dalamar said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

You have failed to supply proof, such as a damage chart. Or TTK on high hp monsters.

here!

i have no input either way on the overall topic—i just wanted to provide this resource. apparently it comes from the official discord, and i've been using it to optimise. i specifically run sword/partisan bc of partisan's ability to exploit HAA activations to achieve very high dps for long periods on less mobile bosses and enemies.

as for time to kill, i'm working on a gigantix solo, but i keep missing perfect parries, so i'm not sure if i'll ever be able to post one ^^;

actually i should comment on the topic as well... i do feel that each weapon is very limited in number of PAs compared to PSO2, and i also feel that multiweapons are not the fix to this that they were maybe intended to be—combos like sword/partisan are only possible on hunter or fighter, which have three different main class weapons. the main class weapon boost renders the majority of off-class weapons redundant except for their weapon actions, which is unfortunate.

PAs really are a big contributor to the feel of each weapon, so adding more unique ones would greatly multiply the possible variety—i currently have the feeling that combat builds will only become genuinely deep when the winter update comes, adding more PAs and (less flexibly) more skills to compete for skill points. the basic quality of the combat is there, i think, but like most parts of the game it's right now lacking in the kind of depth that gives it long-term entertainment value.

@starryeyedgiant said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

actually i should comment on the topic as well... i do feel that each weapon is very limited in number of PAs compared to PSO2, and i also feel that multiweapons are not the fix to this that they were maybe intended to be—combos like sword/partisan are only possible on hunter or fighter, which have three different main class weapons. the main class weapon boost renders the majority of off-class weapons redundant except for their weapon actions, which is unfortunate.

PAs really are a big contributor to the feel of each weapon, so adding more unique ones would greatly multiply the possible variety—i currently have the feeling that combat builds will only become genuinely deep when the winter update comes, adding more PAs and (less flexibly) more skills to compete for skill points. the basic quality of the combat is there, i think, but like most parts of the game it's right now lacking in the kind of depth that gives it long-term entertainment value.

Yeah, PSO2 had 4 PAs instead of two.

I don't think the 3 PA thing is a good point. In base pso2 scions only had 4 PAs per weapon, and most non scion classes had tons of PAs but most classes only used a few of their PAs.

Take knuckles for example; First half of double drive is a mid range gap closer, and you can manually aim it to cross op a boss if someone moves the weak bullet. The second half is the best DPS option for stationary targets. First half of swift rush has better DPS than the first half of double drive, making it better at close range gap closing, while the second half is high DPP making it an excellent combo finisher. The first half of thousand blows is (half baked because fighter) AoE, the second half has tons of I frames, and the PA itself is super high damage per PP. That's 3 PAs, but 6 options with scenarios that can be optimized, which is more than most classes in base. This data can be found on Feng Banther's DPS and frame data chart. Also this does not apply to every class, or even every fighter weapon, but as far as I know we're getting more in winter.

I also hard disagree about the gameplay. 99% of base pso2 was incredibly easy and brainded because you could cancel most things into some kind of guard or I frame. This bit is subjective, but animation locking is a great thing because it makes you have to think about potentially getting smacked if you overextend, and it makes you really have to learn fights to do well in them compared to just always having (several) a get out of jail free card.

As far as the damage penalty goes, last I remember it was a damage buff from using main class weapons, not a penalty. But I do agree with the multi weapon thing. It's kinda meh how mismatched potency affixes don't count the way they did in the beta. I also feel like multiweapon in general is a pointless system in the sense that sega could have just let us apply any action from any weapon onto the palette without having to invest resources to unlock that ability (or limiting it to 2 weapons only tbh).

I know that it's a new game, and they're gonna make more content, yada yada, I get it, I'm just adding to the sentiment that I think all games should be released as more full experiences, instead of this whole trend of releasing at the absolute barest of bones, and then promise that it's gonna get better, oh boy, just you wait!

😐

This though, 100%. Every game prior to pso2 base launched as a complete experience and later had more added to it. I don't see why this couldn't be the case for pso2 or NGS. Especially PSO2 global because not only was the game released in episode 3 while JP was on 6, but they also repeated a lot of the same mistakes they made in JP like how SG scratches were introduced poorly.

EDIT: For clarity; when I mentioned the thing about multiweapon I was comparing to past games, specifically PSP2/i. In those games you could cast techs then swap weapons while the techs were still active. Sazonde and Foiverse were great for CC and building chain, so even non force or hybrid classes benefitted from doing hot swaps. In NGS you need multiweapons for active effects to stay active, so in a sense it's a step back, especially when you consider that you could buffer with up to 6 different weapon slots in p2i.

Multiweapons are cool and beneficial due to the nature of this coded system. Things can always be faster and smoother but in gaming things like that require dedicated programmers. Give credit for what is their in NGS, not a persistent online world is perfect.

Back to the weapon subject to ensure balance changes will be made. The PAs while not all worth being considered optimal in all cases does serve a purpose. Thats part of the reason why the combat stands out with what currently available. There is art to the flow of combat if you can master it. Partisan is incredible from a skill point investment and you can rack up alot of dps. Charge strikes most don't use, allows for movement change and even adds more functionality. Get the right series tailored to your atk focus you now finding your groove. Again the multi aspect in making two weaps one keep you keen on a intense fight (hello pure dps ARKs) as you know what PAs can serve benefit in dodging heck even parrying atks from DOLLs.

Put more training in Bujin type mobs you will see the light glissen more.

@Flowen231 said in NGS sure is pretty, and the open world is a pretty fantastic new foray for the franchise but the gameplay/content...:

I also hard disagree about the gameplay. 99% of base pso2 was incredibly easy and brainded because you could cancel most things into some kind of guard or I frame. This bit is subjective, but animation locking is a great thing because it makes you have to think about potentially getting smacked if you overextend, and it makes you really have to learn fights to do well in them compared to just always having (several) a get out of jail free card.

Considering how abundant reversasigne is and how easy and quick they are to use, you always have get back from the grave free card.

Fluid combat would mean the enemies fight back constantly rather than shuffling around for minutes in the middle of combat in an attempt to waste your time since you can't use counters if they refuse to attack (or their attack just passes through you when you try to counter). If PSO2 was incredibly easy, NGS is too, which it is. NGS combat is just plain frustrating with all this pointless extra fuckery. If the combat wouldn't work if enemies just kept attacking as they should, then it's poorly designed.

Also, the "overextend" is basically the same kind of disingenuous crap as the "combat lacks weight". If the enemy just stands there doing nothing, am i supposed to just stand there and do nothing until it stops screwing around? No, i'll attack it until it does something, and the reason you might get hit is that you're locked in an incredibly overextended animation. Use weaker, shorter attack to avoid the obvious finally happening? Pfft, since i'm immortal with enough armor to take 10-20 attacks in a row, why bother? It's pretty sad that it's more efficient to faceroll the enemies rather than fight back properly.

I've been disillusioned by this crap so hard it's not even funny.

@Yggranya

I've been disillusioned by this crap so hard it's not even funny.

Nah you're just bad at the game.