Microsoft pulling the plug on NGS

How long do you think we have until NGS global shut down? I think we won't even get the first content update.

Winter update being a massive failure will be the last straw.

Dream that won't happen, Microsoft been using PSO2 as a success story for its Azure servers

Yeah too bad the game lags in full blocks

I think winter of 2022 if Sega at least acknowledges any of the issues. If they do literally nothing at all like they’ve been doing probably early 2022. Hopefully they do something to get people back so it doesn’t happen but Sega just doesn’t ever care

Yeah, at this point, if the new region comes out and doesn't have much in terms of content, we're gonna be looking at the game not lasting long. If they can at least fix some issues and the new region has a decent amount of content, I can see this game starting to at least get back some of its playerbase.

SEGA is running the game. Ultimately the decision is theirs to make.

Microsoft is just providing servers much like any other hosting service. They aren't providing the servers for free. SEGA is definitely paying them. Maybe they gave SEGA a discount in exchange for making the game exclusive on xbox for global? Likely something we'll never know.

Microsoft is supporting a certain science fiction MMO in space that's due to release next year. Made by Bethesda's Elder Scrolls team. Starfield, was the title.

11/11/22 is the day PSO2:NGS dies if it doesn't kick back in shape by then. They are for sure giving them all of Azure's resources.

Though from launch we certainly know how much SEGA is spending on the server so perhaps we can keep that little corner in the janitor room we currently have. 🙄

@El-Zenchi said in Microsoft pulling the plug on NGS:

Yeah too bad the game lags in full blocks

Even in non crowded blocks. It's been lagging like hell lately.

@Aumires said in Microsoft pulling the plug on NGS:

Microsoft is supporting a certain science fiction MMO in space that's due to release next year. Made by Bethesda's Elder Scrolls team. Starfield, was the title.

11/11/22 is the day PSO2:NGS dies if it doesn't kick back in shape by then. They are for sure giving them all of Azure's resources.

Though from launch we certainly know how much SEGA is spending on the server so perhaps we can keep that little corner in the janitor room we currently have. 🙄

Perhaps even before that. I already foresee myself paying a VPN to play JP.

I doubt they'll lift the IP ban when they shut down global.

Seems more than a little overblown.

Let me get this straight, you think that Sega is going to work for years on a game, release it earlier for various business reasons knowing full well it doesn’t have much content and they’re working on more, and then cancel it three months later?

@the-juln said in Microsoft pulling the plug on NGS:

Let me get this straight, you think that Sega is going to work for years on a game, release it earlier for various business reasons knowing full well it doesn’t have much content and they’re working on more, and then cancel it three months later?

The global version? Yes. All so they can focus their resources on keeping the JP version alive. Look at how they handled PSO1 and PSU. When it comes down to it, Sega will prioritize the JP servers, even at the cost of other servers.

Well, read this article: https://customers.microsoft.com/en-us/story/863405-sega-corporation-gaming-azure-en-japan

Or just let me cut to the important stuff for your convenience:

In 2020, PSO2 finally started its service in North America. It was released for Xbox One on April 14, and for Windows PC on May 27.

“Of course, we had done research to see how many players would play the game,” says Endo, “but in the end, we would never know until the game went live. Right after its release in North America, the number of players was three times more than our expectation.”

Endo continued, saying that because of the functions of Ultra Disk Storage, the company could handle this unexpected number of accesses flexibly.

“The Japanese version of the game, which is run with on-premises operation of the server, is designed to limit the maximum number of concurrent accesses per one world, depending on hardware ability,” explains Endo. “If a number of accesses exceed this maximum number, we need to replace a hardware. However, Ultra Disk has a function to dynamically change setting capacity, IOPS, and throughput. This is why at the time of releasing this game in North America, we could change the setting for the number of concurrent accesses to three times more than that of the Japanese version, without stopping our service. Even after that, we have repeatedly optimized the sizing of the cloud as the number of users increased or decreased—thus reducing the cost without spoiling our services.”

Release of PSO2 in North America had been anticipated by gamers in the region. When it was announced at Xbox E3 Briefing 2019, audiences became so excited. Using Ultra Disk Storage as the game foundation enabled SEGA to provide this game to the users without letting them down.

And this final bit:

Endo concludes, “In 2021, we will start Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis, which is the updated version of PSO2. It is the newest one in the series with a renewed game system and graphics engine. Of course, we aim to release it in not only Japan and North America, but countries around the world as well. To handle this kind of huge project, I will need to learn more about how to operate Azure.”

I don't know, but it doesn't give quite the good look on Microsoft what happened at launch. And kept for quite a while until, well, population was back at mostly PSO2 levels. And all that work for years seemingly didn't include learning about how Azure works.

@Archetype-Luna said in Microsoft pulling the plug on NGS:

The global version? Yes. All so they can focus their resources on keeping the JP version alive. Look at how they handled PSO1 and PSU. When it comes down to it, Sega will prioritize the JP servers, even at the cost of other servers.

This is likely the prime reason they wish to keep the two clients separate, rather unify like their competitor had done so long ago with its two MMO. Sega is full ready to pull into its shell when it feels like it.

I think It will see the winter update, tho. For now, all they have done is remove excess blocks, and I dont think that is too bad. I said myself after they chopped it down from 102 to 90 the first time they should have just removed more.

Its said the Japanese player base don't think too highly of the current NGS either. Both sides have people that will spend money regardless and treat it as a screen shot simulator so until even those people on the Global side call it quits and close their wallets, I think they will push forward. I still don't think SEGA cares that much about global wallets.