Chat and bots

What they should do is implement a specific quest completion that allows you to use chat. Example you cant chat in area on NGS until you complete magnus or labs. Bot users won't put that much effort into the game and if they do kudos for them actually playing the game lol. As for how standard it should be every character created not by account. This would avoid vpns or multi character bots on the same account.

Its understandable that this would honk off players themselves but if you have an alliance or group you have those chats.

@puppiesgosplash said in Chat and bots:

Bot users won't put that much effort into the game [...]

I remember entire flocks of black mage bots with gibberish names flying over northern thanalan, or sniping from out of bounds underground in FFXIV. They even managed to get their job armor.

Don't underestimate bots.

The better solution, imo, is to:

1. reduce area chat range so it doesn't span the entire area

2. increase the range of the 'nearby players' list to cover the entire zone

3. Enable people to click on chat messages to report/block them, much like FFXIV has that "report for RMT activity" feature.

I imagine that once we get our next island (which is almost certainly going to be gated by story quests) the spambots won't be quite so prevalent there, at least... but we still need better tools to deal with them.

@Zoe said in Chat and bots:

I remember entire flocks of black mage bots with gibberish names flying over northern thanalan, or sniping from out of bounds underground in FFXIV. They even managed to get their job armor.

And maxed out armor miners appearing out of the walls. I didn’t even have that armor yet and there were four of them fully decked out!

@Zoe said in Chat and bots:

I don't know why i need to state the obvious again, but the pathetically simplistic combat in FFXIV can be automated with relative ease. It's unlikely that the same would work in NGS.