Is it just me or does NGS not incentivise teamwork nearly as much?

There's no buff for being in a party (in the base game, playing with NPCs gave you a small triboost and playing with other players gave you a slightly bigger one, incentivizing playing with other players instead of soloing) and without FUN, there's no longer as much of an incentive to rez other players out in the field (obviously Urgent Quests and gigantixes still require you to rez others) and of course the game now actively punishes lower level players for leeching off of harder content and content is more heavily gated. Which to be fair, is probably for the best though. I really don't have an issue with this and I'm not even a hardcore player, somewhere between casual and avid really. Though it's for that same reason that I don't really prefer it either.

I'm not saying this has been a problem mind, I'm mostly just pointing out a clear difference in design philosophy. I think a lot of old PSO2 players probably still act the same way out of habit or are just generally better people than the healers in FFXIV "whose subscription you do not pay" (if anything FFXIV needs an incentive for that far more than NGS lol) and I have been rezed randomly out on the field on occasion though with a bigger open world that is not always the case but with photon dashing and ryuker devices it's never been that big of an issue.

it does incentive parties.. it makes the hp just higher LOL

NGS is badly in need of proper things that require teamwork, I'm struggling to get parties for UQs with my own alliance since most people say there is no real incentive to run them. But when I do get full alliance UQ runs, they are fun and we end up stun locking the boss for most of the battle, yet with getting stuck with randoms, the boss barely goes down for anything, the crazy thing is I understand the boss mechanics and what areas to hit to break something or cause physical downs, plus on both of my characters I can use techs to trigger elemental downs.

@ALmightyGODs said in Is it just me or does NGS not incentivise teamwork nearly as much?:

it does incentive parties.. it makes the hp just higher LOL

I said "nearly as much" not that it didn't.

How the fuck is herding random people into your party for RDR teamwork? I am glad that thing is dead. PSO2 never had teamwork and NGS just continues with the tradition, with at most some classes like Techter/Force/Ranger giving benefits to everyone when they do their usual stuff. Trying to implement anything that would require some coordination would have a lashback from the playerbase on top of being plainly too hard for the current director to handle

@Hooonter Yep, I'm glad the triboost from being in a party is gone, I don't want to be receiving random party invitations, sometimes I just want to play without being in a party.

@Hooonter said in Is it just me or does NGS not incentivise teamwork nearly as much?:

PSO2 never had teamwork and NGS just continues with the tradition, with at most some classes like Techter/Force/Ranger giving benefits to everyone when they do their usual stuff. Trying to implement anything that would require some coordination would have a lashback from the playerbase on top of being plainly too hard for the current director to handle

Not really what I was talking about, of course PSO2 never had the "holy trinity" because pretty much everyone is DPS. Not that hunters couldn't sort of tank and forces/techters couldn't sort of play like a support class but it was never needed.

@Mattwo7

I have no idea where I mentioned holy trinity or why people judge everything by being holy trinity or not. Modern PSO2 did shy away from even mechanics like for example Payday games where revives were lengthy and made you vulnerable without skill point investment, you had to cover other people performing actions needed to progress objectives, or just simply you had to mind your positioning and move together with your team mates. These are the kind of essential team works mechanics PSO2 never had.

Do to the way player scaling works in this game if you are geared and maxed out other players will only slow you down. Soloing a UQ is faster than matchmaking for a party. Farming most augments in particular Ael Notes is faster solo. Mining all the nodes is faster solo. The only thing in the game that you are 'safer' doing with at least a few others with maxed out gear is the Gigas and that is more dependent on your class, which one you are fighting, and your skill level. Bursts aren't all that great to run with randos as most of them don't know how to properly run them to maximize bursts.

Something they can do to try to alleviate some of these issues is with boss/vet type enemies they should increase the base HP of them and reduce the HP% scaling per player. This will effectively make some of the content faster for groups than solo.

@Mattwo7 said in Is it just me or does NGS not incentivise teamwork nearly as much?:

There's no buff for being in a party

That's a good thing and i'm glad sega did away with that. There should be no incentive. If you want to play with your friends or randoms, the tools are there. No need to attempt to shove it down everyones throat for some unintelligible reasons.

The teamwork I would love and prefer is the sort that actively pushes players into "pulling their weight" against a boss together or through content together. In Phantasy Star Online 2 it was fun when you're playing with a friend or family going through something like the daily quests just to get it over with but I always dreaded that once you got into an area where people were farming you "always" had to have a max party before someone threw a fit about how they weren't invited to a party or how people didn't join theirs. On the Japanese side you wouldn't have seen this which added to the frustration for me seeing it on Global where suddenly you were expected to always be subject to the whims of others.

Teamwork for me, should at least be that you can do as you are and others can do as they are - and that the combined efforts should still allow you to clear even difficult content like Twisted with Hatred for example. Phantasy Star Online 2 comes off to me as the sort of game where "solo players banding together" can ends up defining teamwork. Something for example if when you get a Gunner who uses Reverse Tap, a Fighter using Rumbling Moon or Wild Rhapsody, and then a Bouncer who jumps in also using Variant-Moment Gale which I find to be very cool even if it's largely impractical when those classes all have better options to use.

It is similar for me in other games like Dragon's Dogma Online where the "teamplay" isn't forced upon the player but that your class definitely has a role to play to facilitate not only helping yourself do better but to facilitate that for others as well. The end result in a decent team should be faster times, better rewards, and a smoother run and it often has to do with the players who can play solo cooperating with other solo players.

Part of it may be the fact that the UQs are tuned for levels 13~17 BP 1184 and most active players are level 20 BP 1300+. It is hard to see teamwork in fights designed to be beaten by characters 2/3rds your level and 90% of your BP.

The only real incentives I remember from PSO2 were the triboost, healing and buffs. Not having the triboost's fine, and with how healing/buffs work in NGS it doesn't matter if you're partied for those either, so I think it's a win all around tbh.

@Ezodagrom said in Is it just me or does NGS not incentivise teamwork nearly as much?:

@Hooonter Yep, I'm glad the triboost from being in a party is gone, I don't want to be receiving random party invitations, sometimes I just want to play without being in a party.

I never had this issue in PSO2. I, or somebody else, would just place a party beacon, if somebody wanted to join, they would, if they didn't want to join, then they wouldn't.

All these little perks that they have been left out of NGS just makes the game feel lifeless.

Team work aspect of PSO has been long gone since they did away with chain photon blasts and defined character roles. Now every class is just damage dealer so really no need for parties. The removal of party perks is just a way to slow down leveling because Sega has no content for us.