Concerning Re-released Content…

@Malphisto Again...the old outfits can still be used whenever you want. It sounds like entitlement to me when I hear "something that requires work should be free because we say so". From where I come from you get payed for your work, no matter if its easy or hard. Dont want to buy the renewals? Focus on the new gear instead then

To be fair the split between Base and NGS shouldnt even be there in the first place.

Never before have i seen a game which upgrades its spect but does not do it fully. All the other games i know upgrade everything in the game especially the stuff people paid real money for. That they needed to rework everything because of finger movements was just a perfect excuse for them.

For me it seems like base PSO2 was only used as Money earner. They knew they will resell the same stuff later on yet they sold it full price. They knew base PSO2 will go on life support yet they made people believe both will stay alive. I mean common you guys cant be that blind it was the plan all along to squeeze the money out of people for 1 year. Or do you really believe a huge company does something in the last second ? Nah something like that is being worked on in advance.

And yet another post of entitlement and whining. Why did you have to create a new one?

If this is concerning the 4 scratches that dropped today then kindly shove off. All 4 of them work regardless of what body type you use. None of them were updated texture wise. These 4 were specifically brought back with new players in mind who didn't play PSO2 base. Lots of those items might not even be up on the market.

If you're talking about the oracle renewal scratches where they bring in the outfits/basewear back into NGS and be updated to NGS bodies also shove off. Those are specifically being remade from scratch. Just because they existed prior in some fashion doesn't mean you deserve to get them for free. That's someone's work you're devaluing.

Far as "limited" argument goes i'm surprised you haven't busted an artery at all with base pso2. We've had several instances of cosmetics returning in that game more than once on top of having perma scratches exist at the end of base's life span. It just reeks of entitlement. If you cared about an item/liked an item so much that you felt okay spending cash on it or your hard earned meseta on it it shouldn't matter at all that it comes back for other players to enjoy. That's just disgusting anyway you spin it.

@Milk said in Concerning Re-released Content…:

That's just how companies are with their "limited time" items, they always come back one way or another.

This time it appears to be an effort to maintain base game servers so that things won't go into a Private Server mode within the decade.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in Concerning Re-released Content…:

@Malphisto Again...the old outfits can still be used whenever you want. It sounds like entitlement to me when I hear "something that requires work should be free because we say so". From where I come from you get payed for your work, no matter if its easy or hard. Dont want to buy the renewals? Focus on the new gear instead then

What in the actual hell is preventing the neurons in your brain from rubbing together on this? How could anyone possibly read what I wrote and come away with the galaxy brain take that I’m being entitled?? I LITERALLY just laid out the explanation for why it’s not good business to not upgrade your content so that everything is compatible. You have YEARS worth of pre-existing content that isn’t applicable with the new NGS Body Model.

From a “DEVELOPER’S PERSPECTIVE”, we want players to stop clinging to the old PSO2 Body Type and willingly transition to an NGS Body Model.

The fact you have such a huge chunk of pre-existing content ONLY USABLE by the PSO2 Body Type (Which is still suffering an appearance bug, mind you), acts as a barrier which discourages players from making that transition. And if players don’t transition their current characters to the new body type, they aren’t as likely to spend the money on the new NGS only content which in turn decreases its value and monetary return for the company.

Did my point scan that time? Are we able to comprehend the logic now?

The Oracle Fleet Renewal scratcher is what got me thinking this. The new scratchers, despite being usable universally, is simply what prompted me to voice these thoughts. Cause I know damn well why they’re doing it, and it’s not for some altruistic reason as giving people who missed out the chance to get said content. It’s because in terms of cosmetics there’s a serious lack of content the NGS Body Model. Like duh. They’re putting these out because it’s readily usable content, they don’t have much in stock right now for the NGS Body Type and these scratchers would appeal to everyone.

If I had to make a guess, the NGS specific scratchers haven’t been doing too well by comparison to past PSO2 Draws. I don’t have access to the data to determine that, I’m just making an educated guess off of anecdotal evidence from conversations I’ve overheard in Central and from friends.

Regardless, that bit of speculation is irrelevant, because from a business owner perspective you want to do everything possible to maximize profits. Now, THIS is assuming SEGA cares about long term optimal profit gain by expanding overall revenue as much as possible. Because going back and creating an NGS Body Model version of all past cosmetic content for free, provided players already owned the PSO2 version, would; A) encourage players to transition to said new body type. B) vastly expand the cosmetic options for the NGS Body. C) build customer loyalty and increase player retention.

The three points above? Pro Tip, as a Dev, you want all those. PSO2 as a game exists within a market. It’s competing with other games. Sometimes you need to take a hit in the short term in order to get those long term returns. It’s not rocket science.

Of course, having lived through the live service experience from Activision and EA games…odds are SEGA could go the same route and not actually care about these things and only be interested in the short term to appease stockholders. I’m not dumb, I know most Devs in the AAA Industry end up having to abide by what Corporate says. I don’t know what the situation is like for SEGA. Again, to reiterate, I just wanted to voice my thoughts on this matter.

And for the Normies who think creating an NGS Body Model applicable version of PSO2 Cosmetics is some massive undertaking? Please do educate yourselves; https://youtu.be/CY_jjmHosqw

It looks confusing, but if you’re experienced which I know the SEGA devs are, the process really isn’t some monumental task. It’s actually fun to do, especially when you already have a base model to work with. As opposed to having to making something from scratch which is why you don’t see more NGS specific cosmetics being put out for sell.

@Malphisto

If what you're saying about the NGS process being easy and not financially burdening is true, then the manner of the old content being cloned rather than replaced with the new model files is sus.

If the lead developer in charge of the update is pulling off an EA, then SEGA could be in deep trouble with the already ticked off FTC for fraudulent Loot Box practices and lack of self regulation.

I don't think that SEGA would take a risk like that with a fanbase after the whole Sonic movie "reinterpretative art" of a beloved mascot.

The Oracle Renewal Scratches had been planned in 5 different waves in JP's live test of the NGS engine.

Also spare me the “You want Devs to work for free!?” nonsense. The Devs are getting paid regardless. It’d be the company profits that would see a hit, which was what…128 million? Yeah, SEGA would be fine.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Concerning Re-released Content…:

@Malphisto

If what you're saying about the NGS process being easy and not financially burdening is true, then the manner of the old content being cloned rather than replaced with the new model files is sus.

If the lead developer in charge of the update is pulling off an EA, then SEGA could be in deep trouble with the already ticked off FTC for fraudulent Loot Box practices and lack of self regulation.

I don't think that SEGA would take a risk like that with a fanbase after the whole Sonic movie "reinterpretative art" of a beloved mascot.

The Oracle Renewal Scratches had been planned in 5 different waves in JP's live test of the NGS engine.

Creating a version of each PSO2 Body Model Cosmetic which is compatible with the NGS Body Model would obviously cost profit. The idea is that you’d be investing for long term gains. And SEGA has the financial ability to easily pull that off. It’s not like they’d be doing what CD Projekt Red did where they were putting out free Story Content DLC which costs loads more to do by comparison.

And you wouldn’t be replacing anything, just providing the new versions for free. It’d be like, say you have an outfit from PSO2, when you go to put it on an NGS character, the outfit auto switches to the new version. Simple as that. You just add it as an auto conversion from the pre-existing cosmetic. So instead of cosmetics not being selectable in the Salon, gradually all those options begin to become accessible for the NGS Characters. Again, provided you still acquire the items.

I don’t wanna get into the loot box discussion. F2P games are the only exception I make for those. But I’ve seen non-loot box F2P games also sustain just fine without implementing a Dopamine Addiction mechanic. But this isn’t the subject I was wanting to bring up. That’s a whole other kettle of fish.

@Knight-Raime Some of those items were also never available on the Global side of things to begin with due to the nature of the Fresh Finds Shop and the Mission Pass (they were from some of the AC Scratches but all the contents were split up).

I feel that in the case of the Oracle Renew Collection scratches, you could have had an argument for "the starting outfits and cosmetics which are also free on the PSO2 Character Creator should be free upgrades" but the Japanese version has already had five of these scratches starting from March all in AC Scratches. The window for that long passed and if Sega does do something it would probably be event-related and not the popular outfits (or even "all of them" considering what Global still doesn't have). The players on the Japanese version would have been the first to voice their concerns to this to Sega directly and they don't seem to have acknowledged those reports if the rerun of the first Oracle Renew Collection is anything to go by.

@Riesz I recall even in the original announcement video from the NGS Headline (and the smaller segment put up on YouTube as well) the Anniversary Scratch was just a revival (not a renew) of popular items from the Japanese side of things which meant for Global players it included items we never saw on our end. They weren't polished up and I don't recall them ever being advertised as N-Type cosmetics other than that we can get them again. So like you have said, it definitely is a method to fight scalpers in that sense because many of these items are either highly expensive in the original game or are simply out of stock (or non-existent to begin with) so it doesn't surprise me that Sega once again has a rerun of some sort. On the global side I don't recall if we've ever had "reruns" in AC Scratches outside of compilations that condensed some items but I don't see it as problematic that Sega can offer an AC Scratch again with these items when the market runs dry on them or when players can hopefully influence what comes next (such as a separate player-voted AC Scratch). I feel like these Rewind scratches should be permanent to stay in line with the original game's rewind scratches as well.

@Malphisto yea, this discussion went on for awhile before NGS released. The other option SEGA had was to release NGS as a separate entity and make everyone start over from scratch - which is what most other companies do. I will admit, if they did do that, the game should contain alot more content compared to what we have now.

Not sure if SEGA is actually doing that well having to sell off all their amusement center (arcades) managing rights at the end of last year and laying off 700+ employees with a 9 billion yen severance cost for the first quarter of this year?

I didn't know SEGA was still in the arcade business.. Virtua Fighter 5 was the last one I played at the arcade and they never made VF6.

@Miranda they do all the Project DIVA (Vocaloid) rhythm game series and have alot of different pachinkoslot stuff that never makes it out of JP. And games like Borderbreak that have PSO2 collab is arcade based.

SEGA has said they will continue to make arcade games, just won't be operating the gaming centers anymore.

@HarmlessSyan I thought that was because of COVID? I don’t know, I just went off of Sega’s projected gross profits for 2020. 128 million is a pretty penny. It’s possible there’s more going on behind the scenes. Like I said, just wanted to voice my thoughts on this matter. Also I would imagine if they had the content for it, NGS likely would have been a separate game. I mean how many players did they lose from PSO2 due to system specs going up? Ideally they would have wanted two games where they could market content to both groups. Unless there was internal concern over how well NGS would do on its own.

I feel like this topic's opening post and the first few replies are all somewhat mistaken. Nothing from these revival scratches are upgraded. They are not in the same category as Oracle Renewal.

@Malphisto said in Concerning Re-released Content…:

Now? They bring them out again, and I assume these versions will be usable with the NGS Body Model.

Only in the sense that there's little to no conflict. Emotes, accessories and weapon camos all work with both old and new physiques. The hairstyle revival only works with old heads which is separate to body physique.

None of registrations from these four scratches have any differences to registrations given by PSO2-spec tickets from last year.

What about those of us who already got them?

You already have them and either get another opportunity to get other parts of these legacy sets you didn't get, or get a week off needing to worry about paying for temporarily-available content.

Again, these aren't new-spec items, and this was made clear when they were introduced in NGS Headline back in June. They are 100% the same visuals and animations. If you have an emote registered, the game won't even let you use an NGS-version ticket for the same emote from these revivals.

PSO2 331: Pole Dance is NGS 331: Pole Dance. The one from this set is not 1331: N-Pole Dance with more detailed animation. They are exactly the same, and if you registered it from PSO2 the NGS ticket will tell you you already have it. You are not being asked to spend again for an upgraded version here.

You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I assume players who already own said revival cosmetics won’t be able to just use what they already have on the NGS Body.

☝ Correction made. You can use them just fine, and with absolutely no disadvantage to anyone who gets them in these revivals because they are the same.