Has anyone ever tried using a third party controller for NGS? Like thrustmaster eswap? does it support it?

Hello! I remember back in base pso2 days, I have to use ds4windows app and basically trick pso2 to think that my ps4 controller is an Xbox controller for it to work on base pso2.

Now with NGS, i noticed that the controller support seems to be a little bit better since it now accepts dual shock 4 and dualshock5 controllers without any problems.

Then again, NGS is available on PS4 now unlike base pso2 which is only available on xbox console.

So I was wondering if NGS also has the issue of only recognizing controllers on the consoles that it is available on, or does it support third party controllers now like thrustmaster eswap and othere controllers that is not recognized as either xbox controller or playstation controller by windows. My controller has drifting issues now and is due for an upgrade so im thinking of getting a great third party controller like thrustmaster.

@fkingnametaken said in Has anyone ever tried using a third party controller for NGS? Like thrustmaster eswap? does it support it?:

Like thrustmaster eswap?

If it uses xinput it'll probably work on all three PC ecosystems. If not, there are a few Thrustmaster controllers listed in the Steam's Supported Controller Database so unless it's a radical change from those it should work on Steam at least.

@fkingnametaken said in Has anyone ever tried using a third party controller for NGS? Like thrustmaster eswap? does it support it?:

Then again, NGS is available on PS4 now unlike base pso2 which is only available on xbox console.

NGS is not available on PlayStation for the Global service, only JP.

I use an @play Xbox 360 Controller from gamestop that's quite a few years old, If that helps.

if you use Steam than use their support for controllers, that way you don't need to use other programs to trick Windows in recognizing the controller as a 360 controller but don't expect that any cheap knockoff copy of a controller made in China will work with Steam.

I and several others I know have switched to this:

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

We map the two underside buttons to LS and RS Click-In's, here's a picture:

42768aa5-6aaa-4ef6-9701-72ea7edc7181-image.png

It's a pretty good controller, and the build quality rivals that of first party ones, 8BitDo have made a name for themselves in the retro community for providing some of the highest quality controllers.

@JoycieC said in Has anyone ever tried using a third party controller for NGS? Like thrustmaster eswap? does it support it?:

I and several others I know have switched to this:

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

We map the two underside buttons to LS and RS Click-In's, here's a picture:

42768aa5-6aaa-4ef6-9701-72ea7edc7181-image.png

It's a pretty good controller, and the build quality rivals that of first party ones, 8BitDo have made a name for themselves in the retro community for providing some of the highest quality controllers.

Hello! i really appreciate you recommending this controller, as this is exactly what i am planning on doing thats why im thinking of getting a thrustmaster because of the remappable back paddles. I was wondering, when youre remapping 8bitdo, do you need a software for it? and which software do you use? Also, can the back paddles be configured into let's say a keyboard function instead of action 3 / change back palette?

Im a tech noob, so i didnt know 8bitdo even exist but wow! Im now reconsidering getting it instead

@fkingnametaken I did not know this controller existed (I was looking into a previous version, but this one looks very nice as well).

If you connect the controller via XInput it will be recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. This will mean that you can use something like Steam Input (which must have Steam running as an Administrator if you use keyboard/mouse inputs via the controller to work) to further extend and expand your controls.

From what I can read, this suffers a similar issue to the Xbox One Elite Controller (without reWASD) and some ExtremeRate Dualshock 4 controller modifications I have attempted where the back buttons are only remappable to what the controller already does. I would love to know if the 8bitdo controller allows you to go beyond that as you can potentially do more in that case, but this would mean that you have two repeated buttons.

The 8bitdo software also has Macro Support so instead of remapping to a whole other button, potentially you can set up a command to quickly pull off something like a weapon switch or subpalette swap if needed but so far it looks like you may have to look into Steam Input or reWASD (Steam Input being free) if you wanted keyboard/mouse access via your controller as well.

@fkingnametaken

At 1/3 the price of 'comparable' controllers, I cannot recommend this controller highly enough, it's the best single solution controller I've laid my hands on and I assure you I've tried my fair share playing PSO2 for almost ten years.

The controller is mappable via the Desktop Software or Mobile App, with three customisable profiles and a 'Default' profile when none of the custom ones are in use, for a total of four, those screenshots I took were from the mobile app which lets you remap the controls in real time whilst you're still connected wireless to your Switch / PC etc, it's very impressive.

As of yet, there is no keyboard mapping support however community feedback has reached 8BitDo and it it's my hope that with firmware updates this will be provided.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement for them, 8BitDo have a very good reputation in the retro community for building some of the highest quality controllers, on par with first party and exceeding first party in terms of features.

With the setup I posted above, you do repeat the Thumbstick buttons, as they're just 'Cloned' to P1 and P2, however those Thumbsticks could in turn be remapped to something else, such as Turbo / Macro functions making them useful in other ways.

I'd suggest just going for it on Amazon, and if you really don't like it they have a fantastic return policy, so you get every penny back, however I'm confident you'll be satisfied after setting it up.

@JoycieC At the moment I have settled on a Dualshock 4 with the ExtremeRate Dawn Remap kit (it essentially adds four back buttons to the controller that are also "cloned" inputs). This is definitely something I'll look into especially considering the prices of both the Dualshock 4 and the DualSense controller (I would love an "elite" version like the Xbox One Elite Controller but unfortunately there is not one in the form factor of a PlayStation controller otherwise).

I would love to see what 8bitdo does with their firmware as I have some of their other controllers that are very nifty for multi-platforming.