Sega and the Devs Don't Care About NA

To preface this before all the white knights and confirmation biased "It's only beta though" excusers come flocking to their defense, I've tried really hard to give the benefit of the doubt. I work in game development. I know how difficult bringing the game over to the west is. I understand how alphas, betas, MVPs, etc work. And I'm not telling people that they shouldn't support or play the game. Hell, I'm still going to play it - just going to financially support significantly less or not at all.

The reason being because it's undeniable that Sega and the devs in charge don't actually care about the NA version of PSO 2. There's too much evidence of laziness and lack of forethought to ignore.

1. The utterly terrible communication.

From promoting bundles days before telling us what premium and mission tickets even were - which didn't happen until mere hours of the game launching (yes, this is a soft launch and you're in utter denial if you think otherwise) to until announcing 5 hour maintenance times the day-of. The communication has been atrocious.

Hell, one of the 5 posts that went up barely an hour of two before the game went live was clearly written to be posted days beforehand - notifying people of the 16th's predownload time when it was posted the afternoon of the 17th. There was no reason not to dribble those information posts out daily instead of waiting until the last minute. But no consideration to basic common sense was clearly given.

Then there's whole maintenance fiasco we just went through. I get that it's being handled by JP devs who operate on JP time and that maybethey wanted their maintance team to handle both versions at the same time. Okay, cool. This is literally called the NA version though. Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to go, "Hey guys, maybe we should let people know well in advance that they won't be able to play during the hours we tend to have THE MOST PLAYERS online at any given time." Again though, no attempt at forethought or the concern for the player base was given.

JP gets full live streams and clearly laid out plans and schedules in advance. NA can't even get a tweet 24 hours ahead of time.

1. No thought/consideration was put into the content that's in the game.

I know most players won't realize this, but the two strongest weapon lines in the game right now - the ones that you're rewarded with if you really sink your teeth into the game and grind - can't be used to their fullest potential. To utilize their best potential abilities you need arena boosters, which aren't in the game at all! This means that you either have to upgrade a shittier version of the weapon to use it - that you can't go back and correct later - or that you can't enhance and use the weapon you've spent likely spent most of your time and resources grinding for.

It's a very simple thing to go, "Hey, let's put arena boosters in some of the other shops or just change the upgrade requirement." But yet again, 0 fucks, forethought or consideration has been given.

On another note, did you know that the UQs in the schedule have been running since day 1 of launch? They're not special. They weren't added at maintenance. The three listed in the schedule aren't even the best ones to run right now and you can get better XP and drops from running Advanced Quests if you know what you're doing. They're being made to look more important and event-like than they are to appease players and make it seems like more work is being put into this than is actually happening. Which, honestly, I wouldn't even bring up and I'd let slide if it weren't for everything else on top of it - as it stands, it's just another point of proof that they don't care about NA.

Then there's the economy blunders - like the Xbox Game Pass. I took one glance at that and told my Alliance exactly how it'd impact the market and how to take advantage of it. It doesn't take a genius to realize that you giving out 12 AC tickets and premium to the vast majority of players will tank the AC item economy. I will give kudos to the dev and management team for catching the mistake pretty quickly. But it's also mistake that shouldn't have been made if you care about your game's health more than just the money you can potentially generate. And the process of correcting the mistake has been laughably piss poor too.

There's more I could say and point out, but I won't keep harping on it. What I've pointed out already is evidence enough to prove the assertion, and I know this will mostly fall on deaf ears anyway. I'm not mad, I'm just saddened because I was hoping this version of the game would be taken at least somewhat seriously by SEGA and the dev team. The MMORPG market is in shambles for a variety of reasons and I was hoping this would at least be a shining light for NA during dark times.

Instead it's an afterthought of a product. Which really sucks to see cause it wouldn't take much more effort for it to be more than than. And NA deserves better than that. There are legit NA players and fans who deserve a product that isn't a back-burner side project.

Like I said, I'll still play. Hell, it's free and the core gameplay loop is still great. And anything is fun when it brings friends together you can shoot the shit with. But seeing what I'm seeing makes any further financial support or recommendations to others just feel bad. And I just wanted to put that out into the ether in case by some remote chance it made decision-makers in this situation actually think twice about what they're doing and how they're going about doing it.

@LockeKosta said in Sega and the Devs Don't Care About NA:

The utterly terrible communication.

Final Fantasy XIV is the same way in most cases. They don't like to tell us what things are changing until the patch notes, especially when it comes to major changes to things people like.

To preface this before all the white knights and confirmation biased "It's only beta though" excusers come flocking to their defense, I've tried really hard to give the benefit of the doubt. I work in game development. I know how difficult bringing the game over to the west is. I understand how alphas, betas, MVPs, etc work. And I'm not telling people that they shouldn't support or play the game. Hell, I'm still going to play it - just going to financially support significantly less or not at all.

The reason being because it's undeniable that Sega and the devs in charge don't actually care about the NA version of PSO 2. There's too much evidence of laziness and lack of forethought to ignore.

1. The utterly terrible communication.

From promoting bundles days before telling us what premium and mission tickets even were - which didn't happen until mere hours of the game launching (yes, this is a soft launch and you're in utter denial if you think otherwise) to until announcing 5 hour maintenance times the day-of. The communication has been atrocious.

There is a wealth of information online regarding premium. Mission pass not so much.

Hell, one of the 5 posts that went up barely an hour of two before the game went live was clearly written to be posted days beforehand - notifying people of the 16th's predownload time when it was posted the afternoon of the 17th. There was no reason not to dribble those information posts out daily instead of waiting until the last minute. But no consideration to basic common sense was clearly given.

They have been using twitter as a primary means of communciation, more so than the website. They announced the predownload time almost a week ahead of beta via twitter.

Then there's whole maintenance fiasco we just went through. I get that it's being handled by JP devs who operate on JP time and that maybethey wanted their maintance team to handle both versions at the same time. Okay, cool. This is literally called the NA version though. Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to go, "Hey guys, maybe we should let people know well in advance that they won't be able to play during the hours we tend to have THE MOST PLAYERS online at any given time." Again though, no attempt at forethought or the concern for the player base was given.

This I don't like. Sega needs to handle this on their own. Shadow the JP dev's and get it figured out.

JP gets full live streams and clearly laid out plans and schedules in advance. NA can't even get a tweet 24 hours ahead of time.

I think this will get better with time. We also don't know the staff size of the folks running our version of the game.

1. No thought/consideration was put into the content that's in the game.

What do you mean? We've already gotten NA exclusive content. The mission pass (battle pass) is pretty significant change from the JP version.

I know most players won't realize this, but the two strongest weapon lines in the game right now - the ones that you're rewarded with if you really sink your teeth into the game and grind - can't be used to their fullest potential. To utilize their best potential abilities you need arena boosters, which aren't in the game at all! This means that you either have to upgrade a shittier version of the weapon to use it - that you can't go back and correct later - or that you can't enhance and use the weapon you've spent likely spent most of your time and resources grinding for.

Which weapons are you referring to? The unique weapon badge shop weapons? I've gotten mine to +31 and haven't had to use any boosters we do not have access to.

It's a very simple thing to go, "Hey, let's put arena boosters in some of the other shops or just change the upgrade requirement." But yet again, 0 fucks, forethought or consideration has been given.

On another note, did you know that the UQs in the schedule have been running since day 1 of launch? They're not special. They weren't added at maintenance. The three listed in the schedule aren't even the best ones to run right now and you can get better XP and drops from running Advanced Quests if you know what you're doing. They're being made to look more important and event-like than they are to appease players and make it seems like more work is being put into this than is actually happening. Which, honestly, I wouldn't even bring up and I'd let slide if it weren't for everything else on top of it - as it stands, it's just another point of proof that they don't care about NA.

I enjoy the fact that we get more UQs (EQs) than the listed scheduled ones.

Then there's the economy blunders - like the Xbox Game Pass. I took one glance at that and told my Alliance exactly how it'd impact the market and how to take advantage of it. It doesn't take a genius to realize that you giving out 12 AC tickets and premium to the vast majority of players will tank the AC item economy. I will give kudos to the dev and management team for catching the mistake pretty quickly. But it's also mistake that shouldn't have been made if you care about your game's health more than just the money you can potentially generate. And the process of correcting the mistake has been laughably piss poor too.

Save the AC items, prices will grow with time :). Stock up while cheap, reap rewards later.

I do agree with many of your points, though I wish to clear things up a bit.

A lot of the issues ultimately come down to the fact that the Community side of things is not handled by SEGA themselves. SEGA of Japan are the ones who will be, from the look of things:

• Running the game servers.
  • Providing patch updates (nothing new here, all dev-related stuff would be handled by the JP devs).
  • Developing NA exclusive content and getting things to work on the NA server.

Meanwhile, the game's Localization has been outsourced to a separate company. The Community Team is outsourced to another company as well, ESTsoft, who will officially be going by the "PSO2 Team" name and is in charge of the following:

• All social media accounts.
  • GMs.
  • Forums and Website.
  • Customer Support.

This does not give em full 100% control however, ultimately SEGA of Japan has control over what they say and can do. So take for instance the PC version we are still awaiting, either ESTsoft had been made aware of things but are told not to say a word about it or they have refrained from telling ESTsoft anything other than what we already know. Ultimately, a lot of issues which you've named come down to nothing more than Communication between the two.

As for things that are broken, I won't deny it being a soft launch... but keep in mind that stuff potentially breaking and being incomplete is allthemore reason that this is still officially an "Open Beta". In some circles, thats ultimately what Open Beta is... the game's launch but with some problems still present and currently being fixed.

@Leonkh99 Black Desert Online is the same way, except with Korean dev's running the NA show.

@DKGJustus Its pretty much the ideal way to run an MMO / Online Game even if it leads o disadvantages like these.

SEGA picked up on this for their mobile titles which (at least the ones developed in Japan and which have localizations) they self-manage in a similar way to PSO2 NA (as opposed to having SEGA of America / SEGA Europe handle Western servers like with PSU).

Obviously PSO2 is a larger scale effort... I do think that outsourcing the Community Team was a good call, I just hope that all the communication issues can be sorted once the game's "full" launch happens. In the meantime, while @LockeKosta 's concerns are valid... it goes without saying that the game is still not 'officially' release. In fact, to quickly address the whole "Server Maintenance issue", i'd argue that the fact that the game's still a "Beta" gives SEGA every right to drop maintenance times when they feel like it given that issues will be throughout the Beta's time and there may or may not even be an Estimated Time it would take to get some of the fixes sorted out.

Hmm, unless that feature is not available in the NA version (which I really doubt), in the JP version it has been possible to switch weapons potentials for many years.

For example, if a weapon that is grinded at +35 has 2 potentials and both require Photon Spheres, switching from one potential to the other keeps the weapon at +35, but costs the amount of Photon Spheres that would be required for all 3 potential levels (3 + 4 + 5, so, it would cost 12 spheres to switch potential) and meseta.

It's the same thing for when the other potentials require other types of items, switching potential only costs meseta and the items needed for all 3 potential levels. Whenever arena boosters are added to the NA version, the players can just switch potential.

i concurr with your opinions. on the other hand why would someone port an 8 year old game to NA? ($$$$) i mean im glad i will get to play it . but im sure as hell not hype as i was 8 years ago. in the end all the people who really wanted to play this , already have in JP servers with max lvl accounts and all.

@LockeKosta : I know it's fun to go on diatribes and slam everything you have a problem with, but at least make sure everything you're whinging about is accurate. It says right on the UQ page that the ones listed aren't the only ones running and that sometimes other random ones will spawn whenever. They page goes out of it's way to make sure it's known these aren't the ONLY UQs, but just a schedule that you can use to make sure you hit specific ones if you want. Some people, like myself, like to get the crown next to all missions, so I like having at least one dedicated time where I can grind through each difficulty level without worrying about getting max EXP.

Also, if you "work in game dev", I would think that you'd have more understanding around why some of the changes you're suggesting might not be realistic. Or how, these communications issues clearly stem from the team being bifurcated between Sega Japan and ESTSoft.

@Ezodagrom We can switch potentials, just no S-Class ability transfer yet.

Thank you for not continuing that harp on things. That wall of text was a headache to read through. On the UQs they say they may not be exact. As for the bluder with the ultimate pass that was more on dishonest NA players looking to cheat the system. Something im sure they honestly would not think players would try. Which is why pc is probably taking so long like i said in another thread cause of the amount im sure people stateside will try to cheat and set up bots something ive never noticed on the jp servers. worse they had on that end was the great black hole ordeal which was huge.

JP Sega doesn't care about NA. Microsoft is forcing them to care. It sucks, but it will take time before things come full circle for this game.

You speak many truths. To be fair, this can be summed up with the amount of time it took for it to be brought over here. At nearly a decade it almost just doesn't matter, but glad it's here at all I suppose. There are also a lot of other things that seem broken for no reason(?) Like the Autowords, working during closed beta but now not? I dunno what it would be that would interfere with that but still not having a fix is a bit of an annoyance.. My Room being soft pushed to being a premium only feature is off putting as well. The misleading information that the tickets can be found in the FUN shop, having them only available in the FUN scratch making it based on some real luck to actually get just one.. and who only wants a single ticket? This makes premium the only real and reliable way to have a larger room, rather than the hard work and grind for Excubes.

Who knows, maybe things will feel better in time, maybe after official launch. It's just nice to actually have my friends to play with this time around. I hope you continue to find enjoyment in it! It's clear you enjoy the game!

@GamerKillance said in Sega and the Devs Don't Care About NA:

JP Sega doesn't care about NA. Microsoft is forcing them to care. It sucks, but it will take time before things come full circle for this game.

Bingo! Get this man a prize.

@Meta77 said in Sega and the Devs Don't Care About NA:

As for the bluder with the ultimate pass that was more on dishonest NA players looking to cheat the system. Something im sure they honestly would not think players would try.

I feel like you don't understand humans at all lol. If something is exploitable, it will be exploited. It's really as simple as that.