Lock-On (Target Cycle) with Xbox/Controller needs Improve/Fix?

If there is another setting Im blind to please let me know lol. I am aware there is a toggle between going by character view or camera view (thats not the issue). Ok so playing on Xbox Series X with controller I think they made a change to lock-on recently (I may have dreamed this) and I think its possibly worse/broken.

The main problem I have is with the Target Cycle. It seems to vastly prioritize changing target rather than body part on the desired mob. This is particularly noticeable when fighting mobs and wanting to change to weakpoint only to have it switch mob every single time instead.

The fix/improve in theory seems straightforward to me: It would be great if Target Cycle simply cycled through all target points on a mob first before jumping to a different mob. Or at least an option to change to this method.

There is a few lengthy threads about it, it been a problem for a while for me as well. I'm on PC (store) but using a xbox controller and especially on the Dragon (outside UQ), when there is still mobs around is almost impossible to get the Core in a timely fashion. Because it would cycle between very far mobs (why....just why when there a giant target with many points in front of me) or other points. Leg, leg, tail ...wing wing mob ...another mob ...Finally! but Core closes because it took too much time getting the right spot. Even removing lock-on and trying to get the core takes a lot still. And this happens with other bosses too. And loses target or switches too easily by himself when there is a lot of mobs around. I never had this much trouble in any other game I played (being mmo or single player).

I've found that the system is not explicitly explained, but if targeting is set to 'where character is facing', and the right analog stick is what you're using to cycle between targets, moving the stick left or right has a higher probability of moving the target to a different enemy, whereas moving the stick up or down will tend to cycle your target across the different points on the same enemy you're already targeting.

The issue has nothing to do with Xbox/controllers, the tab targeting in this game just sucks. Just today I had two pettax directly in front of me, it could have targeted either one, I didn't care which, but instead it targeted a lizard directly behind them that was just barely in range of my assault rifle. I couldn't even see the lizard because of the two pettax in the way.

And the dragon is just a nightmare. It's gotten to the point where I've been avoiding that UQ all together because it's just frustrating.

I've been trying every combination to no avail ...and we had enough time to test all. It just sucks. What Jaykat said happens quite often to me too. So much that I sometimes wonder where the hell is the mob that I'm targeting, since I don't see it.

ive given up the cycling of targets and just re-Lock. its faster but equally frustrating. But it got way easier after i switched the Option from Where the Character Faces to Where the Camera Faces.

Even the cycling on a single target with multiple weak points is really bad. You would think that it would have a sequence for Pettas or Nex, but it will just arbitrarily hop from one foot to the other foot, or from the wing to the head to the tail. Random stuff.

@Rei-Murasame said in Lock-On (Target Cycle) with Xbox/Controller needs Improve/Fix?:

I've found that the system is not explicitly explained, but if targeting is set to 'where character is facing', and the right analog stick is what you're using to cycle between targets, moving the stick left or right has a higher probability of moving the target to a different enemy, whereas moving the stick up or down will tend to cycle your target across the different points on the same enemy you're already targeting.

I've also experienced this. It takes a moment to feel it out, but in cases of Nex Aelio specifically, whenever his weak point opens (I am using Character camera we well) I just untarget my current target and run up to the weak point. Usually as I enter the boss's hitbox it swaps to the weakpoint and I just grab it and wack away at it. Otherwise, every other mob in the game seems to be doable with UP/DOWN with LEFT/RIGHT swapping between targetable points at that level and other mobs entirely.

I think the game will target whatever is the closest to the centre of the screen regardless of distance when using camera direction, which is terrible. It should prioritize distance. Target whatever is closest in a cone in front of the camera.

Any kind of automatic system in combat is always unreliable and usually downright terrible. Targeting is no exception.

With the dragon, you need to get really close for some reason for it to target the weakspot, otherwise it refuses to register its existence. Who knows why it works like that, especially since aiming at the wings, head(s) or tail means you can't see anything with the way it shakes and jumps around, so there is really no reason to even try to target anything other than the legs or weakspot when it's available.