Techter Wands- NGS vs Base

I'm going to ramble a bit here, and hope I manage to get my thoughts across in a halfway cohesive way.

In PSO2, a Techter's wand is a mighty weapon when enemies are grouped together. Photonic Fury on a pack of enemies is devastating to the point where my sound has gone bonkers (heh) when I hit too many enemies at once. In NGS, that secondary hit of Photonic Fury still exists, but it doesn't have that same impact feel as PSO2. Perhaps it's because of the lack of a way to group up enemies to make it as effective as it was in PSO2.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that feels off about the weapon. I want to say it's the nearly useless seeming Photonic Fury. I mean, yes, it does that extra bit of damage, but why not just roll that into the base weapon damage? Maybe it will have more of an effect if we ever get a way to reliably group enemies together.

The photon arts for Wand also don't feel that great. From what I've read, Wave Crash is the skill to use for the most part, but I want to say it feels clunky because of the movement involved in it.

I dunno. Something about wands in NGS just throws me off the slightest bit, in a way that I can't quite pin down.

Thoughts?

The thing that bothers me most about wands in NGS is that their PAs cost more PP than they should for the damage they do (and if the AOE is the draw then there's also weapons that are much better at that too), where they should either cost less PP or do more damage.

I'm not sure if they were going for making wands more supportive or what, but it seems like inflicting elemental downs without using PP using the normal attack is the only benefit of using wands over other weapons. I hope when more skills are added wands will be better, but I do wish they were now too.

Elemental series weapons (like it's doubtful that Glissen will be the only one) will also nullify that role, making wands not any better of a choice than any other tech weapons.

So first, you are completely correct. Techter relied heavily on being able to group mobs up to make use of PF. They trimmed the techniques down so much we no longer have any untility-techs at all. So that alone makes wand in general a suboptimal weapon to use outside of PSE bursts when enemies are constantly spawning in a compact area.

From my own observation a few more factors going against wands would be the attack range effectively being that of knuckles, their PA dmg/pp is horrible compared to every other PA, as well as their PAs all having a movement component to them as well making positioning more difficult on certain fights.

EDIT- If I were to suggest some alterations to improve the overall feel of them:

• Increase range just a little such that the normal attacks feel more sweeping
  • Allow for the wand PAs while elementally empowered to build stacks such that you get something of a combo (barta/zonde)
  • Remove the movement component of Wave Hit
  • Reduce the PP cost to bring them more in line with other weapon PAs dmg/pp costs

@Nasar Heavy hammer in base Pso2 was also a better PA than it's NGS equivalent. It had some vertical tracking, and had a 3rd charging stage which did more damage than the 2nd stage in NGS too.

And the enemies in NGS also move around too much for it to be used easily (especially with the map being so open, they have more space to move to also). Removing the charging mechanic (or having a charge preservation skill similar to the one for techs with rods) and increasing the potency would have worked much better for NGS.

@Riesz said in Techter Wands- NGS vs Base:

Elemental series weapons (like it's doubtful that Glissen will be the only one) will also nullify that role, making wands not any better of a choice than any other tech weapons.

This worries me as well. Wands are already rarely used by other folks that I have seen. They are Techters for Shifta/Deband, and their subclass weapons get all the use instead. With the Glissen series (and beyond) there will be little and less use for Wands.

@Nasar said in Techter Wands- NGS vs Base:

So first, you are completely correct. Techter relied heavily on being able to group mobs up to make use of PF. They trimmed the techniques down so much we no longer have any untility-techs at all. So that alone makes wand in general a suboptimal weapon to use outside of PSE bursts when enemies are constantly spawning in a compact area. From my own observation a few more factors going against wands would be the attack range effectively being that of knuckles, their PA dmg/pp is horrible compared to every other PA, as well as their PAs all having a movement component to them as well making positioning more difficult on certain fights.

So it isn't just me. I knew something felt off about them. I expected there to be differences, sure, but it still didn't feel right. Cost to damage, general feel of them, movement, etc., aren't quite right. I've found myself using my Talis a bit more often lately because of this, not that that couldn't use a tweak or two also, but that's besides the point.

Allow for the wand PAs while elementally empowered to build stacks such that you get something of a combo (barta/zonde)

It would actually be kinda groovy if it did something like that. Like maybe built up the barta / zonde stacks like casting the techs do so that you could sort of weave attacks and techs in or something like that.

The way I wish wands worked in NGS is like how a Neptunia Collab in Date a Live Spirit pledge made Blanc/White Heart play. Like look at her gameplay here, doesn't it look like some aspects of her skills would work perfectly with wands?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e9ecqxri9SA

Shouldn’t you have Hunter as a subclass and Hunter’s (War cry) for mob grouping?

@Riesz Personally since we currently lack any utility technique to gather mobs I think I'd make that the charged form of Wave Hit. The loss of vertical tracking did suck (I haven't found it to be too much of a sticking point to me as the dmg in general of both tech classes), bringing it back as the third charge would be a good option. First charge, low damage short charge. Second charge, longer distance and low damage (they need to speed up the charge rate horribly). Thir charge, vertical tracking and high damage.

@RainGnyu That gets you aggro, it doesn't actually make them run to you unless they're melee. That and isn't it a main class only thing? So you'd have to go Techter sub which defeats the purpose. If you were playing Hunter idk why you'd go wand.

Indeed, Main Class only.

Hopefully they do something about Wands sooner rather than later. I'd hate to see another drawn out scenario like PSO2 where they went without a PA until Heavy Hammer.

@Riesz Personally since we currently lack any utility technique to gather mobs I think I'd make that the charged form of Wave Hit. The loss of vertical tracking did suck (I haven't found it to be too much of a sticking point to me as the dmg in general of both tech classes), bringing it back as the third charge would be a good option. First charge, low damage short charge. Second charge, longer distance and low damage (they need to speed up the charge rate horribly). Thir charge, vertical tracking and high damage.

@RainGnyu That gets you aggro, it doesn't actually make them run to you unless they're melee. That and isn't it a main class only thing? So you'd have to go Techter sub which defeats the purpose. If you were playing Hunter idk why you'd go wand.

Oops 😬 you’re right.......

@RainGnyu np, I don't expect everyone to have everything memorized. I even had to double check incase I was remembering wrong. Tbh if that ability actually forced NPCs to run at the user I think you'd see far more hunters picking it up, whereas right now most everyone just ignores it.