Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?

So the real question should be is who is using PSO2:NGS as an in-between game until Blue Protocol releases?

@Viola-Lance I don't see why not running both? Blue protocol probably run as slow as NGS in term of content 😂 They have postponed the launch twice I think so probably around the same pace.

As someone who hasn’t played NGS yet, is the player base that bad now? Is it the bugs or is the game unfun? I have one friend currently playing NGS and he said it’s fun but “nothing to write home about” so is NGS simply not living up to the hype or there just too many game breaking bugs right now?

@Milk

It's just an overall lack of content. People got spoiled with Global PSO2's extended release schedule, and weren't used to how Sega has always done their content release structure for the PSO games. There's nothing inherently wrong with NGS, there's things to grind for, there's stuff to do, the classes are fun, abeit limited compared to their PSO2 counterparts, it's just that if you only level one or two classes, you're going to likely have your BiS Weapons and Gear, as well as BiS augments, in around 40-50 hours of game time.

As far as bugs and what not go - there's a few graphical UI glitches here and there, and the game had a rocky launch, but otherwise it plays fine now outside of the occasional lag spike during busier hours. The population's still holding steady at around 9-11K people depending on the time of day, so there's always people to play with, UQ's always fill within seconds, and there's usually six or seven lobbies open at any time to go hunt Gigantix.

Despite all the doom saying and moaning, the game's not going to die any time soon.

The only game threatening this game to die is this game itself. They need to push themselfs to their limits, otherwise I don't see a recovery. It's nice looking, and gameplay is good. But it's missing that wow factor. If they want to bank on augment grind and semi uninteresting open world grind, I'll say this will turn into another anthem but with better fashion. And I don't want my pso to turn out like that. They really have to push themselfs here to get that initial hype back up where it belongs.

Having grown up playing Diablo 1, Diablo 2, Sacred, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn... from experience endgame in any ARPG (and I consider NGS an ARPG, just an MMOARPG), once you finish the story line (or in NGS case the current portion), it all boils down to killing stuff to get a chance at the loot that is slightly better than what you currently have.

I've really enjoyed NGS so far. I'm still grinding up my units (Casul Skum is casuling) and attempting to get enough meseta/capsules to get the augments I want. When I'm tired of killing stuff at one location, I move to another location by bombing randomly around in search of red crates. When I arrive at my destination... I kill more mobs and continue the grind. I went into NGS expecting an open world ARPG, and that's what I have gotten, complete with an ARPG endgame.

While I did expect a way more story and more tasks than what we got from the start, I'm enjoying just zipping about, exploring and being a murder hobo.

@Blade-Syphon said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

It's just an overall lack of content. People got spoiled with Global PSO2's extended release schedule, and weren't used to how Sega has always done their content release structure for the PSO games.

I admit that i've never played a game as a service game on release to avoid what we are experiencing here (and the only reason i did was that it got shoehorned on top of PSO2 for no reason), and trying it for myself has convinced me to never do it again.

Blizzard can sell their game to China all they want. After Diablo Immortal and Blitzchung incidents, not touching Blizzard anymore.

@HarmlessSyan said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

Blizzard can sell their game to China all they want. After Diablo Immortal and Blitzchung incidents, not touching Blizzard anymore.

Don't forget Warcraft 3 Reforged fiasco (if you're not familiar with it, Google will give far more information than I'm willing to type), Diablo III having gear coming out looking like something out of WoW, the blatant power creep that wrecked D3. Let's not get into the dilution of classes in WoW, stripping of key abilities just to give something similar back the next expansion, their push towards PvP and raiding to finish key parts of the story...

I've uninstalled nearly all Blizzard games from all my systems save Diablo 1 and 2, which I still play periodically. I don't know what Blizzard is now, but it's not the Blizzard I remember. It's just a puppet for Activision now.

Also, I don't think the D2 Resurrected will steal a lot of players from this game, and if it does it won't for long. The endgame in D2 is similar to that in NGS currently: Kill monsters for loot, then travel to another specific location to kill monsters for loot. If people are having issues with that as the endgame here, they'll have it as an issue there as well.

People can play multiple games at a time.

Shocker I know.

The real shocker is when they don’t return.

The game is made like a revolving door, having ppl enter, pay then move on. It expects new ppl to replace the lost players, keeping the system going. That relies on advertisements and players recommending the game to friends.

I can’t recommend the current game to anyone, and the few friends that was curious why I was playing it so long tried it and already quit. So there’s definitely no sticking point to the game right now. 😕

@Yggranya

It's hit or miss. Not every game releases with a content dirth like this, but for JP based MMOs, this is very, very much the norm, so I'm not at all surprised with what we got.

That said - Destiny was still, far and away, worst at launch than NGS, so I have seen far, far worst.

@Riesz said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

They could have still had more sustainable content even in the little content we have though. Just because they usually don't give much content, doesn't mean the content they do add can't include something that changes the gameplay up a bit more compared to the regular content. (I mean come on they added so many modes in base pso2, they couldn't take at least one of them and reuse them, or take mechanics from them and make a new mode and put them in NGS's launch?)

I never said they couldn't, but this is Sega's first attempt at making an open world RPG like this, and a lot of those modes that worked well in PSO2 wouldn't really translate well into NGS. I do agree, it would have been nice to have the Cocoons have more replayability in them other than the skill points, as that would be the place to put things like Time Attack in, but everything else wouldn't really work with NGS being a more traditional open-world MMO, rather than a lobby-based one.

@Riesz said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

Also PSO and PSU let you challenge bosses whenever you want too rather than having to wait for a UQ too, so at least you had a boss to fight whenever you wanted besides just the regular battles. There may usually be veteran enemies somewhere in NGS, but that's not really the same thing, they made them in a way that they expect people to be able to solo them.

Ah.. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Bosses in PSO and PSU both were designed to be soloable as well, PSO especially, and while PSU's were a bit tankier, they were still very much soloable by every class.

Veterans are literally the same thing as traditional bosses in PSO, PSU, and PSO2, so this is kind of a moot point here. PSO and PSU didn't have anything on the level of PSO2's Urgent Quests, so it's not really fair to compare them to PSO and PSU's always available bosses.

@Pariah-Chan said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

I’ve had my fill of nostalgia on pso2, NGS has to hold up by its own merits.

DE7CBB73-7E39-4F32-9937-F839502C4369.jpeg

WTF you made a Riica? That's amazing! You should post that in the Another Eden subreddit asap 😳

As someone mentioned in another topic, PSO was the "Anime Space Diablo" for a long time, so I think that's what OP meant. I also played Spiral Knights back then, which was under SEGA's wing for a long time too and had stuff like the PSO box model and the scifi dungeon delving on a Zelda style format and worked for me as a PSO2 sustitute meanwhile.

What I think OP also means is that until the open world format is more fleshed out, NGS' current Halpha isn't much more than an oversized Ultimate instance with its own progression alongside the PSO2's classic anime space dungeon delve.