Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?

I feel with the current slate of games coming this year that we know of, Diablo 2 is it. I think Diablo 2 is going to take at least half if not more of all of the NA player base for the game. I know there’s always those “WoW killer” games that come out and are always, usually wrongfully, assumed to kill a said game. I remember path of exile for example delayed their big league due to thinking Cyberpunk was going to take all their streamers away.

But I think Diablo 2, especially being on console and PC, is going to kill out the remaining players. ESPECIALLY with the big level cap content update being released in December.

@Cult0fpersnality said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

But I think Diablo 2, especially being on console and PC, is going to kill out the remaining players.

I suppose i should quit while i'm ahead if i'll be assassinated for playing PSO2 NGS.

@Yggranya said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

I suppose i should quit while i'm ahead if i'll be assassinated for playing PSO2 NGS.

It's the new marketing mix - price, product, promotion, pistols.

I played a ton of Diablo II back in the day, was one of the earliest level 90+ players in the first ladder season with a Hammerdin cheese meta as probably a personal highlight. I'm one of those kids who printed out the Michael Flatley Lord of the Dance parody image to put in the CD case of its expansion.

Finished Diablo III with three friends, laughed at Whimsyshire and got halfway through Torment difficulty but its gameplay loop was about as engaging as New Genesis's is for several months and we all quite after a month or two, none of us ever buying the expansion. One or two of us went back to StarCraft II for a short time, but that was ultimately the last time to date any of us bothered with the Diablo series.

I think one if us is remotely interested in Diablo II's remaster, and it's not me.

Nostalgia is a powerful feeling. As well it is a fleeting feeling as well.

After the fun times of SC2 and DIII launch, "We rather you not play Demonology / What you don't have a Cell Phone?" comments and the no surprise of WCIII remastered flop - hopes for DII is nothing short of a quick cash grab and kick to the curb situation with Blizzard.

It'll be popular for a month or so, and the novelty will wear out cause it wont be the same it will be their "remastered" Midas-touch; it'll look just enough like the original to get the surge, but it wont ever truly be it to last long enough for them to care.

Now, if they were to remaster Blackthorne and Lost Vikings for the modern era - maybe, just maybe will let the nostalgia take over for a brief moment. Maybe.

This game is losing players at an alarming rate. At this rate, no game is required to kill this one off. Its practically dead already

I don't get it, how Diablo 2 will be a threat to PSO2 when both are in complete different genres?

the only game I can see being affected is Path of Exile that is the same genre of Diablo 2 and let's not forget that Blizzard name is being tarnished so badly after Warcraft 3 Refounded Reforge

@Jamesmor said in Is Diablo 2 of any threat to the games player base?:

I don't get it, how Diablo 2 will be a threat to PSO2 when both are in complete different genres?

the only game I can see being affected is Path of Exile that is the same genre of Diablo 2 and let's not forget that Blizzard name is being tarnished so badly after Warcraft 3 Refounded Reforge

Not to mention the former Blizzard Co-founder and a good portion of the original team that helped build them to what they are today and a large chunk of the ones from the 700+ laid off in 2019 are basically rebuilding Blizzard from the group up again. As Dreamhaven.

That had to put a sting in Ion's side.

At this rate a kendama is a threat to the player base. XD

Got my kendama to destroy the player base with. 3a1daee1-9ab3-49a4-b9ec-681068f2c02c-image.png

I’ve had more fun with that than any Gigantix hunt. XD

In hindsight, any online game runs risk of bleeding players out and eventually dying to what new trend happens to pop up. It is just as much as a risk as said company just pulling the plug on the game for any given reason as well with little to zero notice.

I've survived plenty of online games coming and going. Some hurt, a lot. City of Heroes / Villains and Wildstar. While others, not shocked when new companies took over (cough SOE cough) and nose dived beloved games or one that had the potential to become great into absolute oblivion; SWG, Matrix Online. As well watching once great games hemorrhage players cause their company is doing something. Yep they sure are doing something alright, not sure what, but it is something; WoW, SWtOR, GW2... Not to include obscure games that should have died ages ago still survive... DCUO - not including many, many more that can be mentioned.

Overtime, I just come to the terms - enjoy what there is while looking forward to what else may come, but do not be shocked or disappointed if the worse eventually happens, be it sooner or later.

As well, do not let nostalgia be a driving force; only ends in heart aches.

I’ve had my fill of nostalgia on pso2, NGS has to hold up by its own merits.

DE7CBB73-7E39-4F32-9937-F839502C4369.jpeg

Not for me tho, not really hype about D-2 remake. Not a fan of Western RPG because IMO including wokeness political views in game.

I am done with The last of us 2. And with Cyberpunk fiasco I think not.

I was planning on switching to D2 HD, but since I am so unsatisfied with the current NGS state, I will check out Sword of Legends because a few friends invited me to join. Every new online game has the potential to take away a few players, if NGS keeps this state. Even base Pso2 had a constantly declining playerbase with only a few people joining when the steam release came out. Usually new content patches bait players in for a few weeks/months, but even base pso2 didn't really manage to do that so why should NGS?