Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.

@Malphisto said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

I’m not a Whale, I just work hard and manage my budget well enough to afford getting AC. That being said? Don’t thank us. No Freemium Players owe us a damn thing or inkling of gratitude. Whales buy AC Scratchers because they have the disposable income for it which just means they were extremely fortunate in the game of real life, and for purely self-centered reasons.

We buy AC to get new shit. The vast majority of content offered from PSO2 and games like it are Cosmetics. Sadly, most online games these days do the Loot Box crap, which is glorified gambling. It’s designed as a game mechanic to screw with the chemicals in our brains and exploit the inherent addictive qualities in people. Dopamine Manipulation. Instant gratification, which then leads you to look for that next dose. Whales are victims of this system, they’ve got the money to spend or their parents do. And while adults have more resistance to it, kids who engage in these practices can very easily get screwed up psychologically for life.

The reason the Player Market exists is because of a group of people who essentially get exploited, and end up looking to sell off their surplus or unwanted digital goods to other players to make a return on something that would otherwise be wasted money. Prices are dictated by market forces, not some perceived altruism from Whales. They want Meseta from Freemium Players so that they can go and buy the items from said draws they didn’t get via Loot Box.

Don’t thank us for spending AC and selling AC Scratcher stuff in the market. Instead, feel sorry for us. We’re addicted to a game mechanic that is statistically designed to take advantage of us.

There are more Humane ways F2P games can go about this. But that’s a subject for another time. Just know other games have done it.

I agree

Would changing to subscription base model fix these perceived issues?

@Malphisto said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

Don’t thank us for spending AC and selling AC Scratcher stuff in the market. Instead, feel sorry for us. We’re addicted to a game mechanic that is statistically designed to take advantage of us.

Gacha is designed to appeal to players with addictive tendencies but I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for us. We know the risks when it comes to gambling, we take them anyway. I think a good portion of us would rather just outright buy the items from a store but we're not given the option. If you want the item, you either scratch for it or grind for it, neither of which are healthy imho. All things in moderation.

@Milk said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

Man there's really no way to fix this. A system that let's existing users be grandfathered in would only anger any new players, that's really all I've got. I don't know why a company would act like this in the first place, it's the first I've ever seen of this happening so it's a bit puzzling. My initial thought is "Don't you like money?" but who knows what their reasoning is. Regardless, I don't agree with it and Global still feels like an afterthought which I'm (still) hoping NGS can change.

Why would new players be angry about that? People already have gotten perfect gear and maxed everything out in both NGS and base pso2. It should only matter to new players if it happened either before items were added to Global that were in the JP version already, or if it happened before it was possible to grind out getting perfect equips. But there are already players in Global who did so, so I'm not sure why it would matter that more people that have that gear would be transferred over to Global at this point in either game.

@Rain-Gnyu I don't think it would do much at this point. Maybe if the game had been on at the start as they would have help prevent things like the large amount of inflation as it would be a lot harder for people to funnel meseta through multiple accounts as each account would require a subscription. Not to mention it would likely require a lot of redesign to be accepted as a p2p game as the launch content would not be acceptable for a game with a monthly fee. This is of course assuming there would be less of a dependency on gacha mechanics to generate revenue to begin with; having a monthly sub with gacha would not go well.

Pretty much, it isn't really possible to change to a p2p model at this point. Switching to a p2p model isn't a magic fix all button to begin with. The main thing it does is change the burden of revenue from the few whales shouldering most of the entire thing to spreading it out across the entire player base. With that, you have to maintain a healthy player base as each player contributes to the game's income. Without being able to maintain that player base, the game would run into financial trouble, and based on NGS' Steam Charts, it doesn't have that sustainability in its current condition. A p2p model is a double edge sword, it can give you a steady stream of revenue, but you are compared much more harshly to other games.

It probably could work if the game was designed with such a model in mind, but unfortunately, the game isn't. It has to find a way to make its current f2p model work.

@Rain-Gnyu Subscription would alienate a large swath of players, unfortunately. The main appeal for F2P models is the price of admission is free. While games like EverQuest, the original and PS2 versions, benefitted from a money subscription, the well of players was limited by default. Also, while it worked in the past, the explosion of MMOs over the years has really boosted the competition in the market place. Publishers and Developers aren’t just competing with other games for your money, but your time as well.

There’s also success stories for Buy to Play games like Guild Wars, but again you end up with a paywall to playing. So for PSO2 we have to work within the confines of the F2P model, which is fine and preferable.

That all having been said, to @Milk ‘s point,F2P games like Warframe I found to really do it justice. There are no Loot Boxes, you can grind to get everything, or pay money to buy stuff outright. And that turned out to be a sustainable business model. And that was for a totally original IP. PSO2 is a well established franchise with a large fan base. I mean I’ve been playing since PSO on the SEGA Dreamcast. (Though I still think PSU was best, PSO2 needs Beast Race and SUV Weapons for CAST characters, lol)

There’s also the method of keeping Loot Boxes, but dramatically lowering costs. For example, it’s been you spend $60 to do enough Draws to get an Exchange Ticket. Those Exchange Tickets are an example of Game Devs in the industry trying to make Microtransactions more Humane, cause you’re guaranteed to get the item you want after you spend X amount. The problem in PSO2’s case is that X amount costs too much.

If you instead had it where it only cost $15 to get said ticket, not only does that provide more value for each dollar spent by us, but it also encourages other players to spend money as well. If you actually lower prices people actually spend more. Because it’s a safer gamble. You’re still doing the gambling bit, but it’s not necessarily bleeding you. And more items in circulation for the market would mean reduced prices for Freemium Players and less reason for RMTs to be used by people who may otherwise be scammed into going that route.

@Riesz said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

@Milk said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

Man there's really no way to fix this. A system that let's existing users be grandfathered in would only anger any new players, that's really all I've got. I don't know why a company would act like this in the first place, it's the first I've ever seen of this happening so it's a bit puzzling. My initial thought is "Don't you like money?" but who knows what their reasoning is. Regardless, I don't agree with it and Global still feels like an afterthought which I'm (still) hoping NGS can change.

Why would new players be angry about that? People already have gotten perfect gear and maxed everything out in both NGS and base pso2. It should only matter to new players if it happened either before items were added to Global that were in the JP version already, or if it happened before it was possible to grind out getting perfect equips. But there are already players in Global who did so, so I'm not sure why it would matter that more people that have that gear would be transferred over to Global at this point in either game.

Oh no that's not what I meant. If existing players were grandfathered in and allowed to stay on JP but they put a ban on any new players going forward, newer players might be angry about it. People still want to play on JP because Global doesn't have everything they do.

I buy scratch because I'm lucky to have disposable $$, and I still want a way for F2P players to access the shop.

Making it so only the whales can buy stuff is stupid. The whales already have most everything they want.. there needs to be other ppl that can actually buy the scratches the whales get.

Not letting them play the shop just keeps them poorer.

@Gurgles Also, is it just me, or does being compared to aquatic sea animals feel a tad insulting? That always bugged me back when the terms first became mainstream.

@Malphisto

Well...we came from the sea so...well...ya know. Give the Whales some couple of millenia and maybe they also grow some legs and live oon land.

@Gilver-Redgrave but whales were land animals that went back in to the sea

Could this be Pso2 NGS some day?

https://youtu.be/lte3JOnyXlo

They could at the very least follow Tree of Savior’s example where non-premium players could sell in the shops, just less available slots. I personally think it’s plain stupid to deny something so basic but it’s at least a compromise.

Or have some quest/task/CO/whatever you want to call them that give extra shop slots that don't require premium or a pass.

@Weirdo said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

Or have some quest/task/CO/whatever you want to call them that give extra shop slots that don't require premium or a pass.

That would be fair, make it an account bound buff or something so you only have to do it once a week or so.