Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.

@Yggranya said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

Ah, TES: oblivion horse armor, right? I wonder what went through the head of people who bought that.

Probably the same thing that goes through the heads of anyone that spends money on cosmetics in games. Something along the line of "Daaaamn! My ride looks slick!"

@PBJ-Time And I remember my parents complaining that Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger costed $80 each on release. I remember personally paying $70 for Killer Instinct Gold for N64 on it's release day as well, and this was in the US.

@Miranda said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

These items are intangible and they aren't yours. Once the servers shutdown, all that money will be wasted and you got nothing to show for it. That's the only downside to 'whaling'.

If you got ample use out of said items that alone means it wasnt a waste at all.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

@Ravness01

Wrong.

The very first DLC ever was a Horse with Armour which did nothing else or gave any special stats NOTHING. People payed for that Horse DLC and that was the moment the gaming industrie realized that this kind of monetarization works.

I know i am old....i was there and saw it with my own eyes.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-mechassault-content-available-for-a-price/1100-6084650/

Dlc has been around longer than Oblivion, -.-".

@Hado90 said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

It sucks that whales are being so greedy, there isnt anything in NGS for f2p players to farm and sell like there was in base pso2. I sold millions of meseta worth of upgrade items in base pso2, to pay for my cosmetics... NGS only really has fixa weapons that go for a big chunk of change.. but those are soooo rare that it's not a reliable method of income. The only people making money right now in ngs are whales, and the gap widens with every passing day.

I mean... the whole purpose of spending money in a video game for most people is to get ahead or get some advantage over others. If you're going to spend any money you want to get as much as possible out of each dollar spent.

The only people making money right now are not just whales. As long as you have the shop pass you are chilling. Currently red box runs on new accounts is the meta though doing weeklies on multiple accounts and funneling the money is also decent. Doing this will allow you to afford anything currently on the market and you don't even need to be a whale. The only people getting shafted here are f2p players. Nobody else should have any issues if they put in some time to grind.

@Ravness01

Wrong.

The very first DLC ever was a Horse with Armour which did nothing else or gave any special stats NOTHING. People payed for that Horse DLC and that was the moment the gaming industrie realized that this kind of monetarization works.

I think I am older cause I remember buying DLC that was in CDs like Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Edition. They were called expansions back then!

This is with all games that are F2P. Genshin wouldn't be getting the updates every month if it wasn't for the players literally spending thousands a month.

@Aumires said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

@Ravness01

Wrong.

I think I am older cause I remember buying DLC that was in CDs like Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Edition. They were called expansions back then!

Hmm if we are talking bout Expansions. Wonder how many forgot UO (Ultima Online) released in September 1997 came out before Age of Emp. released in Oct.1997 and UO's first expansion The Second Age was released in Sept.1998 while AoE II was in October 1998.

Even an article-advertisement in EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) calling out to readers to eat the battle axe to the face and get UO:SA or just be a scared newbie playing it safe with Madden 98.

@Ravness01 said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

@Ravness01

Wrong.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-mechassault-content-available-for-a-price/1100-6084650/

Dlc has been around longer than Oblivion, -.-".

I think what he was getting at it was the first absurd dlc that people were willing to just throw money at without regards to actually thinking and when the game industry saw just how gullible and foolishly people were willing to part with money with very little convincing, it just took off. now we have seasons passes and $20 skins and games shipping with 25% of content with the rest to be sold to you later as MXT because they know you'll pay for it.

@Astral-Lettie said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

I think what he was getting at it was the first absurd dlc that people were willing to just throw money at without regards to actually thinking and when the game industry saw just how gullible and foolishly people were willing to part with money with very little convincing, it just took off. now we have seasons passes and $20 skins and games shipping with 25% of content with the rest to be sold to you later as MXT because they know you'll pay for it.

Reasons like this I have typically been supporting smaller developer companies or indie projects. Getting stuff like Dead Cells, Grim Dawn, Hades... Get a lot of bang for your buck with those studios so far, unlike ActiBlizz, EA, or a few select others. Sega is probably the largest studio I got a game from in a couple of years now. Don't feel quite as predatory as EA has been, or that company that made League of Legends. At least those smaller studios don't hold anything back to try to package later simply because they know they can get away with it.

@Zeke said in Take the time to thank your fellow whales in game.:

This is with all games that are F2P. Genshin wouldn't be getting the updates every month if it wasn't for the players literally spending thousands a month.

yea, with companies and F2P games, they have to get their money to fund continued development from somewhere. With optional 'subscription' they have to have some other things to produce that funding, and thats AC scratches. The companies that still require a sub to play do so because its steady and more predictable funding for continued development. It doesnt have to be thousands per person, but I think if each real player that liked the game put in $13 for premium per month ($15 if it returns to that price), theyd make enough. Tho that obviously cant be expected when it remains optional.... so failing that, those that put in more per month are keeping it going.

I think the thanks shouldn't be for getting things onto the markets to buy, tho, but for jusr supporting the games continued developmemt by buying AC and/or premium. Tho, also shouldnt ask or expect thanks. just do what we do any play the game as well :3

@Astral-Lettie

Pretty much this aswell.

@Ravness01

Not exactly true and not exactly wrong.

Back then you made a difference between Expansions with huge content in it like Maps and such and the so called "small" DLCs that only gave you like a crap Horse or Costume and stuff like that. There was a clear difference between those two so DLC =/= DLC. After Oblivion pulled the Horse trigger the DLCs we know today were born. Thats also the reason why ESO for examply calls their DLCs "Expansion DLCs" so that people know they will in fact get something for their money.

So yeah people in fact make a differense between DLC and Expansions DLCs even today. The DLCs i mean are clearly the shitty or shady ones.

@Frathlir To each their own, i guess. Can't increase athletics while riding a horse.

Anyway, as far as i remember, that was basically the start of how the gaming industry does things today. People are dumb and gullible, and it's easy as pie to get their money since you don't need to take their money when they basically THROW it at you.

Why yes, thank you whales for locking things i want behind huge paywalls. Thanks so much.

If whales were necessary; then games like undertale, terraria, minecraft, stardew valley, among us, fall guys, fortnite and similars would have never been successful.

Thanking myself seems odd so i'll pass. Not that I really see the point in this thread anyway. Seems like it was created to be decisive.