Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?

Kinda hard to be dead yet last that long.

But let's not be coy; anyone with an ounce of foresight saw that Global was going to be spoiled by the rather rapid content release schedule when they were playing catch-up to JP, this of course coming with the inevitable catching up to them at one point. And most - most - know that JP's content release schedules were drastically slower than Global became used to. This is hardly anything new.

That being said, there's a mix of reasonable dissatisfaction with the initial offerings, as well as rather overblown expectation and impatience. People are treating it like we've gotten a finished product when we've only gotten the first bit of something planned, projected, and portioned out. They want more - and there IS more coming - but they want it now now NOW, despite the fact that if they got it now now NOW, they'd have burned right through it all already and been right back to the same impatience anyways.

It's fine to want more; I do too, but I don't feel what we've got is without merit or in some way a means to "kill the series".

I'm fine with waiting but I heard that even the Japanese player base is sick of this pacing and doesn't want the director to keep focusing on gigantix. If I didn't hear complaints from Japan then I wouldn't say anything about the director trying to kill the series, but when even Japan is sick of how he does things.

@Weirdo said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I'm fine with waiting but I heard that even the Japanese player base is sick of this pacing and doesn't want the director to keep focusing on gigantix. If I didn't hear complaints from Japan then I wouldn't say anything about the director trying to kill the series, but when even Japan is sick of how he does things.

Now THAT I'm in full agreement with. They could stand to pick up the pace a bit and offer a little more than weather-spawning super enemies at the least, but I'm willing to see what they have in store, since they're already releasing the classes way faster than I'd have expected.

Rather than compare this game to other modern MMOs, I'm going to compare it to the correct game instead:

Could you imagine what playing Diablo would have been like if they released half an Act a year?

as its the same one the almost killed base pso2. but over all it sega i think that just want to milk it as much as they can and move on

@SalutexMO but that is what do not work. where thye sell more in a game that got 30k players (and going down hard) or one that got 100k and over time geting more? like a game like lol was not the most well selling game on pc for as long as it was for no reason

@Yggranya next big one is next year.

@Herald-of-Zenchi ye as ep6 was not a stand alone game, was it?

@ThirdChild-ZKI said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

But let's not be coy; anyone with an ounce of foresight saw that Global was going to be spoiled by the rather rapid content release schedule when they were playing catch-up to JP, this of course coming with the inevitable catching up to them at one point. And most - most - know that JP's content release schedules were drastically slower than Global became used to. This is hardly anything new.

This is also a tired excuse for the current state of NGS. Most of the complaints are based on the lack of content right out of the gate. It's this fact PLUS the fact that their first real content update is slated 4-6 months away that is the problem, and THEN factor in the amount of content coming with it.

The pacing would be fine if they added enough to the game to make it worth the wait. PSO2 had that problem. They came out with a minor MINOR amount of content at glacial speed, quite a bit which was dead on arrival.

Don't put the full blame on the dev team. Look higher up to the executives. Unfortunately there is zero customer relations with those people and the director is pretty much a glorified PR agent on our front.

Basically directors don't have as much power as it appears. He doesn't decide the financial side of things for one(scratches). If his bosses were to tell him to release nothing but scratches and no content at all, then he'd have to comply.

What I'm saying this: The people higher aren't gamers. It's all about money.

@Miranda no one do the devs did a a good job on what sega lets them

Say what?

@Miranda Possible rough translation:

"No one blames the devs. They did a good job within their limits."

Maybe.

Splitting the fault:

"Devs" - glitches, the launch fiasco of supreme lag, texture issues, launcher issues, same enemies in different bodies, etc

"executive" - Direction of the game, content launches/roadmap, AC scratches, campaigns, rebalancing, being out of touch with modern gamers, lack of transparency, reselling the same thing we've been sold the last year (global problems specifically i guess), etc.

The drip-feeding approach has been out of style for half a decade (look back at everything Destiny has done and taken severe criticism for, even though any single one of their content updates have thousands of more hours worth of content then NGS launch). The pacing of this game, as well as the monetization, is modeled after generic mobile games that use popular intellectual properties to sell their product.

@Miranda

Director has plenty of power in PSO2. All the catastrophic failures of EP5 were director visions. Firing of the current directors would do exactly everything to fix the current state of the game given half a year or so.

@Furious-0 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Miranda Possible rough translation:

"No one blames the devs. They did a good job within their limits."

Maybe.

Yeah that's good and I understood him (after calming down from something else).

As for the drip-feeding style, my first hand experience with that was with PSU, which is why I feared NGS getting the same treatment.

For the series and whether they want to destroy it or not, I donno. Look at Sonic - poor guy is a nobody now and I think many of us grew up with him.