Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?

@Miraglyth said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Weirdo said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

It is the fact that the director is still focusing on gigantix after how poorly they were received

expecting them to redo a ton of design and development work that's probably already mostly been done for the short-term content additions that quickly is wildly unrealistic [snip] you're asking them to design, develop, test and publish a fairly significant bit of rushed content in about 3 weeks.

@Hooonter said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

It's literally Nex Aelio [snip] There is no real workload with Gigantix

So what I'm now reading is they're not developmentally "focusing on gigantix" at all because the work was already done, that this was previously an overstatement and that my point is strengthened further? Cool. Even more reason to not pull Gigantix Nex Aelio to be replaced with nothing, and even more reason we shouldn't expect them to be able to fully develop a replacement gameplay loop in 3 weeks.

@Herald-of-Zenchi

Grinding materials for future updates months away without any knowledge of what materials will be useful for that content isn't a good example of "content", either. A better argument could be made of the available space was already effectively used in ways that stimulated a player's desire to engage with it.

Many people have listed things that meet their personal opinions as to why they feel there is "no content". Things in the game lack substance and are just chores after you reach a certain point because you're just "preparing for the future" forever.

even more reason we shouldn't expect them to be able to fully develop a replacement gameplay loop in 3 weeks.

To @Miraglyth 's point, the problem (in my opinion) is the gameplay loop paired with the hollow feeling of the open world. I love the open world, I love the gathering elements and killing random stuff, but it lacks substance due to the limited story involved and lack of pursuit. By lack of pursuit I refer to things to chase, you are just kinda playing to play with no real objective.

The event tomorrow will help scratch the itch of those who enjoy evaluating new mechanics and comparing them to what we have already had, but at the end of the day it is the same enemies, same loop, and ultimately just another way to stockpile "for the future".

There needs to be substance, but the soonest that could happen is during the Q4 update.

I say just fire him and replace him with whoever did the original pso

@TURION-MOONSTAR said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I say just fire him and replace him with whoever did the original pso

That'd be Takao Miyoshi, though you might either not want or be able to make that happen since he also directed Universe and since left Sega.

@Herald-of-Zenchi

Did you just compare a dungeon crawler with Open World MMORPGs ?

The reason why its meaningless to compare NGS with base PSO2 is because those are two different genres. Thats like comparing Vindictus with Blade and Soul or Continenth of the Ninth with World of Warcraft. Your argument was invalid the moment it sounded good in your head.

On top of that you also compare a "content patch" with a "Game release" which also sounded great in your head until you wrote it down aint that right ? Thats like comparing Diabolo 3s last content patch with the release of Path of Exile....sounds fair right ?

Lol.

Gotta love the threads that don't know PSO's history. Game series will live like it always has.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I missed his post, but if anything that should be the first thing the game is compared to rather than a standard MMO. While NGS has moved away from it a bit more than it's predecessors, Phantasy Star Online as a series started off as Anime Space Diablo.

@Furious-0

He compared the NGS release with the second half of EP6 on site 1.

@Zeke

Dont know but was JPs population ever that low for any PSO title ? Because NGSs population is very low worldwide right now.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Furious-0

He compared the NGS release with the second half of EP6 on site 1.

@Zeke

Dont know but was JPs population ever that low for any PSO title ? Because NGSs population is very low worldwide right now.

Yes actually. Towards the end was empty for JP compared to its past, but still brought on a sizable revenue.

@Zeke Could be because they count franchise revenue as a whole. I dont know any shop in Germany where i could buy PSO2 franchise.Kinda sad because i would kill for a EP6 Sukunahime figure. <.<"

Could be because they count franchise revenue as a whole. I dont know any shop in Germany where i could buy PSO2 franchise.Kinda sad because i would kill for a EP6 Sukunahime figure. <.<"

You mean merchandise? PSO2 Global has never had merchandise for sale, and yes that sucks.

Global is full digital, with only digital promotional codes for stuff

Based on player ID numbers, the EN PC/PS2 servers of PSU didn't go much higher than a total of 50k players in its lifetime, I'm not talking about players logged in at the same time, I'm talking about the full total of accounts.

Meanwhile the JP version didn't go much higher than a total of 250k players.

I'm pretty sure that the NGS population worldwide right now (number of logged in players at the same time) is far higher than what any of the PSU versions ever had.

I doubt that any of the PSO1 versions had thousands of concurrent players at any time either.

@Furious-0 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I missed his post, but if anything that should be the first thing the game is compared to rather than a standard MMO. While NGS has moved away from it a bit more than it's predecessors, Phantasy Star Online as a series started off as Anime Space Diablo.

Pretty accurate.

@Ezodagrom

Well you need to look at the product itself and then ask yourself is the numbers are low. PSU for example only counts Online Players while a huge part of the console playerbase didnt play Online. I for example didnt know anyone who had a Playstation2 or Xbos360 with Internet. So 250k players playing online in JP is pretty big if you look at what PSU is. YOu could say the PC players should have been much more but being honest here WoW was a thing back then and even other online games where out of reach for PSU. PSU is a dungeon crawler and those were not that popular at that time.

So in regard of what PSU is and in which era it was released those 250k are in fact really huge. If PSU would be remastered as a full Online Game like PSO2 with some changes so that the multiplayer is needed and rewarded those 250k would be broken on day one in just 1 hour.