Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Also no Ash is the canon protagonist of PSO2. You even see him in the pictures of the Story Missions. We just play his story with our PCs thats all.

So I'm going to stop you there. Ash in PSO2 serves the same role as Derplander from FFXIV - he's the poster boy for Sega to use when it's not feasible to use the Guardian (for obvious reasons) in promotional artwork, screen grabs, etc.

Ash literally does not exist in PSO2. He is a stand in, and nothing more, for the Guardian. He's the protagonist of the anime, yes, but the anime also isn't "canon" in the sense that it's the defacto version of PSO2's storyline. Ash and Ethan are not comparable.

Everything else you posted completely skirts around what I actually stated - Ethan Waber is the canonical protagonist of Episode 1, with an established personality, family, and friends that all are part of his story. The PC in PSU is introduced in Episode 2 as the apprentice of Leia, another Guardian, and their story is then bound as well to that of Ethan's, who remains the central protagonist throughout PSU. Without Ethan, the entire plot and focus of Episode 2 basically falls apart, as Ethan's "defection" to the Illuminus as a double agent is essential to both motivation Leia and the PC to chase after him, his sister and Karen to try and find out why he "Defected", and more importantly, to actually reveal the motivations of the organization, the origins of Magashi, and reveal to the player who the one orchestrating everything behind the scenes is.

Without Ethan, literally none of the events of PSU's second or even third episodes would work. You cannot replace him with a generic, emotionless PC. It'd be like trying to take Final Fantasy VII, and remove Cloud from the equation and replace him with a generic PC. It does not work.

@Blade-Syphon

Funny that you stop me right before the other valid points that explain exaclty why Ash is the protagonist. Its true that Ash is the poster boy but ask yourself this:" Which franchise does not use the main character/cast as poster boy/girl ?

And in case of Ethan there are so many solutions for that problem that i dont even know why we argue about that. We could for example be a thierd party watching from the shadows. We could be time travelers visiting the events of Univers to prevent something that happens in the future. You know there are so many option in a fantasy frenchise that its really irrelevant if Ethan still is there.

The time travel option for example would assure that we dont intefere with Ethans story but can still watch it while at the same time the game would still be the same with the difference that there are some extra cutscenes with our PCs talking about stuff. I mean common when i said "changes" i meant changes. And it would still count as Remaster because a few more cutscenes dont count as new gameplay element.

The only problem that needs a little work around would be beating the story bosses without interfering with the story or Ethan. Thats a little problem but nothing that cant be done i am sure.

@Gilver-Redgrave Ash is literally just the internal name of the default Male Human character, he's named after the Ash from the first Phantasy Star Online and nothing else, like literally all the other characters you see in those PSO2 openings, all of them are just generic characters named after past Phantasy Star characters. Of course they'd use him in Episode Oracle because he's already the placeholder NPC they use if something goes wrong with your character loading in cutscenes as a failsafe (if for some reason the undetailed model doesn't appear). Generic PSO2 Chars

Pretty sure Ash is the reason we are using Swords in like all the cutscenes, other than laziness - it's to create some sort of canon storyline.

Like that in PSO2, why Persona uses Coat Edge, it's Ash's weapon - until it got all silly with the Scion classes

@HarmlessSyan I think it's just because Swords and Dual Sabers are some of the easiest weapons to create cutscenes with and make it realistic for enemies to flinch from their attacks, as all they have to do is have your character smack enemies around with them, not cast techs or pull the trigger of a gun or anything like that. (Yes other characters in cutscenes use other weapons, but they can just reuse the same animations for the same character every time this way).

@HarmlessSyan said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Pretty sure Ash is the reason we are using Swords in like all the cutscenes, other than laziness - it's to create some sort of canon storyline.

Exactly.

As i said before Ash is wielding a weapon he cant wear if he is not us because only the PSO2 protagonist wears the Coated series and so does Ash.

In the Canon story Ash is the protagonist and we just play his role. Kinda like we are the alternate universe and Ash is the original one.

Here the evidence again:

• He uses our Weapon series wich means its also his so we are the same.
  • Persona is clearly male no matter how you look at it and he also uses our Weapons because he is us/Ash.
  • Matoi in the last cutscene tells us that she "loves" us indicating the protagonist is in fact male.

@Riesz

That explaination would work if not for the small fact that Ash uses different swords in cutscenes and not always the Coated series. So Sega on purpose choosed the Coated series to be Ashs end gear. One of the pictures above shows pretty clearly that he is not using the Coated series there. So kinda odd that he has the Coated series only we can have.

Gender isn't really evidence since you can have same sex relationships.

@Gilver-Redgrave Not sure how many more ways we can explain this to you, but what does the character in the cutscenes using the coated arms have to do with anything? The character in the cutscenes is the character we created unless the game has problems loading them and Persona is the alternate reality version of us. In none of the PSO2 openings does he use the coated arms, the closest looking one he uses is the one the Hunter class starts with.

In the Episode Oracle anime it's impossible for them to use every single person's player character so they have to use a specific character, and the placeholder character is the obvious choice. Also in Episode 5, which is the only time they thought of doing so, if your character is female, you see Persona at the end and they are female, and have a female voice, so if our character is Ash explain that (And no the Persona we see then is not from Omega, they are a fragment of the original because we and Persona are technically the same person).

And yeah not sure what Matoi loving our character has to do with anything, she can still be in love with a female character. While I do agree there's multiple cutscenes that assume we'll play as a guy (which a lot of rpgs do), that doesn't really mean anything, they assumed most people playing their game would be male, and at the time the game was originally released, there were still guys that looked down on other guys using female characters.

@Riesz said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Gilver-Redgrave Not sure how many more ways we can explain this to you, but what does the character in the cutscenes using the coated arms have to do with anything? The character in the cutscenes is the character we created unless the game has problems loading them and Persona is the alternate reality version of us. In none of the PSO2 openings does he use the coated arms, the closest looking one he uses is the one the Hunter class starts with.

In the Episode Oracle anime it's impossible for them to use every single person's player character so they have to use a specific character, and the placeholder character is the obvious choice. Also in Episode 5, which is the only time they thought of doing so, if your character is female, you see Persona at the end and they are female, and have a female voice, so if our character is Ash explain that (And no the Persona we see then is not from Omega, they are a fragment of the original because we and Persona are technically the same person).

And yeah not sure what Matoi loving our character has to do with anything, she can still be in love with a female character. While I do agree there's multiple cutscenes that assume we'll play as a guy (which a lot of rpgs do), that doesn't really mean anything, they assumed most people playing their game would be male, and at the time the game was originally released, there were still guys that looked down on other guys using female characters.

Whoa! seriously?

@HarmlessSyan said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Like that in PSO2, why Persona uses Coat Edge, it's Ash's weapon - until it got all silly with the Scion classes

Ehh idk if I'd call it laziness. If they did all the cutscenes with all of the weapons that would take a huge amount of work and would force some scenes to play out differently. It's why you don't even get fighting cutscenes in ffxiv with the MC because you'd have to animate like 13 different versions of the same fight

@XenoBladeX37645 you do in ffxiv though, especially in the sparring cutscene with Lyse - you are holding the weapon of the job you are on even if it's a book. Other cutscenes have you draw your weapon and taking battle stances of whatever you are using.

@HarmlessSyan And none of that equates to what we have in ngs. You actually attack things on cutscenes. Which you'll never see that in ffxiv outside of the benchmark (which makes everyone default to a dark knight anyways). I mean the cutscene where you use tmgs to fight Yucreta in ep5 would have to be redone if they didn't make your character use tmgs in that scene. I can't call them lazy for deciding not to do that.

@KOSMOSFAN22497 I don't know which thing I said that was a direct response to lol. Anyway on another note sorry to everyone who wanted to actually discuss the topic of this thread for this going off on a tangent (or if it's because spoilers, sorry for that too, though I assume most people here did play most if not all of the base pso2 story so far), but just saw that person's original comment and had to respond to it lol.

@Riesz

I am NOT talking about the loading placeholder so your whole post about this was meaningless you do know that right ?

And why should i explain that Persona gets female when his identity is revealed ? You need to explain to me instead how he shrinks down/gets bigger then before and his hair is changing despite it NOT being part of the mask and in some cases he even grows Melons. Pretty sure we aint a shape shifter and can change out body structure at will.

I dont need to explain that weird stuff but you are because you use it as argument. 😉

Until you can explain that the Canon Persona and hence our PC is clearly male.

And why do you ask what Matoi has to do with it when you answer the question right away yourself ? xD You stole the fun from me thats so not fair.

Again the OG story is not about our PCs. What we do at best is the alternate version of Ashs story. It was even confirmed in the story that there are alternate dimensions which contain even the same planets ours do. I mean Persona himself if prove of that because he is the alternate version of us. Alot of people assume time travel is bound for the same universe but its not. Persona himself claimed he did this "multiple times" and always failed. And because we re still alive he didnt kill us in our universes timeline. Each timeline is set in another alternate universe.

So yeah time travel, alternate timelines, alternate universe all that stuff is canon stuff in PSO2 and somewhere will be universes where our PC is NOT the protagonist. Or to say it in short Ash is Segas PC. And because Sega pretty much rules over the game Ash is the Alpha and the Omega. He can even use a set of weapons only we have because Sega said so.

@Miraglyth phantasy star universe was a good game so clearly the man knew what he was doing