Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?

@Blade-Syphon

Funny that you stop me right before the other valid points that explain exaclty why Ash is the protagonist. Its true that Ash is the poster boy but ask yourself this:" Which franchise does not use the main character/cast as poster boy/girl ?

And in case of Ethan there are so many solutions for that problem that i dont even know why we argue about that. We could for example be a thierd party watching from the shadows. We could be time travelers visiting the events of Univers to prevent something that happens in the future. You know there are so many option in a fantasy frenchise that its really irrelevant if Ethan still is there.

The time travel option for example would assure that we dont intefere with Ethans story but can still watch it while at the same time the game would still be the same with the difference that there are some extra cutscenes with our PCs talking about stuff. I mean common when i said "changes" i meant changes. And it would still count as Remaster because a few more cutscenes dont count as new gameplay element.

The only problem that needs a little work around would be beating the story bosses without interfering with the story or Ethan. Thats a little problem but nothing that cant be done i am sure.

Pretty sure Ash is the reason we are using Swords in like all the cutscenes, other than laziness - it's to create some sort of canon storyline.

Like that in PSO2, why Persona uses Coat Edge, it's Ash's weapon - until it got all silly with the Scion classes

@HarmlessSyan said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Pretty sure Ash is the reason we are using Swords in like all the cutscenes, other than laziness - it's to create some sort of canon storyline.

Exactly.

As i said before Ash is wielding a weapon he cant wear if he is not us because only the PSO2 protagonist wears the Coated series and so does Ash.

In the Canon story Ash is the protagonist and we just play his role. Kinda like we are the alternate universe and Ash is the original one.

Here the evidence again:

• He uses our Weapon series wich means its also his so we are the same.
  • Persona is clearly male no matter how you look at it and he also uses our Weapons because he is us/Ash.
  • Matoi in the last cutscene tells us that she "loves" us indicating the protagonist is in fact male.

@Riesz

That explaination would work if not for the small fact that Ash uses different swords in cutscenes and not always the Coated series. So Sega on purpose choosed the Coated series to be Ashs end gear. One of the pictures above shows pretty clearly that he is not using the Coated series there. So kinda odd that he has the Coated series only we can have.

Gender isn't really evidence since you can have same sex relationships.

@Riesz said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Gilver-Redgrave Not sure how many more ways we can explain this to you, but what does the character in the cutscenes using the coated arms have to do with anything? The character in the cutscenes is the character we created unless the game has problems loading them and Persona is the alternate reality version of us. In none of the PSO2 openings does he use the coated arms, the closest looking one he uses is the one the Hunter class starts with.

In the Episode Oracle anime it's impossible for them to use every single person's player character so they have to use a specific character, and the placeholder character is the obvious choice. Also in Episode 5, which is the only time they thought of doing so, if your character is female, you see Persona at the end and they are female, and have a female voice, so if our character is Ash explain that (And no the Persona we see then is not from Omega, they are a fragment of the original because we and Persona are technically the same person).

And yeah not sure what Matoi loving our character has to do with anything, she can still be in love with a female character. While I do agree there's multiple cutscenes that assume we'll play as a guy (which a lot of rpgs do), that doesn't really mean anything, they assumed most people playing their game would be male, and at the time the game was originally released, there were still guys that looked down on other guys using female characters.

Whoa! seriously?

@HarmlessSyan said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Like that in PSO2, why Persona uses Coat Edge, it's Ash's weapon - until it got all silly with the Scion classes

Ehh idk if I'd call it laziness. If they did all the cutscenes with all of the weapons that would take a huge amount of work and would force some scenes to play out differently. It's why you don't even get fighting cutscenes in ffxiv with the MC because you'd have to animate like 13 different versions of the same fight

@XenoBladeX37645 you do in ffxiv though, especially in the sparring cutscene with Lyse - you are holding the weapon of the job you are on even if it's a book. Other cutscenes have you draw your weapon and taking battle stances of whatever you are using.

@HarmlessSyan And none of that equates to what we have in ngs. You actually attack things on cutscenes. Which you'll never see that in ffxiv outside of the benchmark (which makes everyone default to a dark knight anyways). I mean the cutscene where you use tmgs to fight Yucreta in ep5 would have to be redone if they didn't make your character use tmgs in that scene. I can't call them lazy for deciding not to do that.

@Riesz

I am NOT talking about the loading placeholder so your whole post about this was meaningless you do know that right ?

And why should i explain that Persona gets female when his identity is revealed ? You need to explain to me instead how he shrinks down/gets bigger then before and his hair is changing despite it NOT being part of the mask and in some cases he even grows Melons. Pretty sure we aint a shape shifter and can change out body structure at will.

I dont need to explain that weird stuff but you are because you use it as argument. 😉

Until you can explain that the Canon Persona and hence our PC is clearly male.

And why do you ask what Matoi has to do with it when you answer the question right away yourself ? xD You stole the fun from me thats so not fair.

Again the OG story is not about our PCs. What we do at best is the alternate version of Ashs story. It was even confirmed in the story that there are alternate dimensions which contain even the same planets ours do. I mean Persona himself if prove of that because he is the alternate version of us. Alot of people assume time travel is bound for the same universe but its not. Persona himself claimed he did this "multiple times" and always failed. And because we re still alive he didnt kill us in our universes timeline. Each timeline is set in another alternate universe.

So yeah time travel, alternate timelines, alternate universe all that stuff is canon stuff in PSO2 and somewhere will be universes where our PC is NOT the protagonist. Or to say it in short Ash is Segas PC. And because Sega pretty much rules over the game Ash is the Alpha and the Omega. He can even use a set of weapons only we have because Sega said so.

@Miraglyth phantasy star universe was a good game so clearly the man knew what he was doing

@TURION-MOONSTAR said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Miraglyth phantasy star universe was a good game so clearly the man knew what he was doing

Not good enough to keep the servers open. This feels like the same response the diehard fans of Wildstar gave.

@Gilver-Redgrave

What the hell did I just read?

No, you do any of that, and you no longer have a remastered Phantasy Star Universe, you have an entirely different game set in a heavily altered version of PSU's universe. In other words - you have a FFVII Remake scenario, and I don't think anyone really wants another one of those crawling around.

I'm honest to god starting to think you've never even played any of the PSU games. Your nonsensical ramblings basically tell me you have literally no understanding, what so ever, of PSU's plot, of what an established character is, or how you can't simply super impose your own PC into that role and have it still make narrative sense.

Again - look at my comparison to PSU with Final Fantasy VII, or any story-based JRPG for that matter. You cannot simply slap your character in over an established protagonist, and expect the same results. And your non-sensical ramblings about time traveling nonsense would only further complicate and dilute the plot. The PC in PSU does not have a role in Episode 1, they're not yet a Guardian. It's not until Episode 2, where the PC becomes a Guardian under the tutleage of Leia, do they even begin to make waves in the PSU storyline.

Episode 1 is Ethan's story, and it's designed as such in order to set the entire foundation for the storylines to follow. You remove Ethan, and you remove the entire plot of PSU. And no, some fan-fiction level of writing about time travel does not "Fix" the problem, it makes it worst, and turns a remastered PSU into something else entirely

PSU existed as an ofline single player JRPG coupled with an ORPG multiplayer mode that, canonically, takes place after the events of the aformtioned single player mode. A remastered PSU would have zero reasons to change that. All you're basically doing is trying to make PSU into an entirely different game for..reasons I can't even begin to fathom.

And for the last bloody time - Ash is not the canonical protagonist of PSO2 - the Guardian is. Ash is the default stand in generic character model that's used in place of the PC's Guardian because it would literally be impossible for Sega to render the player's character in anything other than the in-game cinematics.

No one who plays Final Fantasy XIV tries to argue that the Derplander is the canonical protagonist, because he's not. He's the stand in for the player's Warrior of Light, who can be anything from a female Miqo'te, to a big 'ole bulky Roedaygn male. And the Derplander of XIV is literally the same thing as the Ash of PSO2.

I don't understand why you're struggling so hard to come to terms with this concept.

@Blade-Syphon

sigh

I already gave one option how it can be done and no it would not turn into a different game. If you have a problem with small changes then that is your problem tbh. But saying that its not possible is a flat out lie nothing more.

And Ash is the canon protagonist. I even explined it extremely easy to understand when i said Ash is Segas PC. If you cant understand something as simple as that then thats your fault. Youre not even able to debunk the examples i gave why Ash is the canonical protagonist and we are just the alternate version of his timeline.

I don't understand why you're struggling so hard to come to terms with this concept. Even tho the whole game is about time travel and alternate dimensions.

@Blade-Syphon said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Gilver-Redgrave

What the hell did I just read?

No, you do any of that, and you no longer have a remastered Phantasy Star Universe, you have an entirely different game set in a heavily altered version of PSU's universe. In other words - you have a FFVII Remake scenario, and I don't think anyone really wants another one of those crawling around.

I found this odd as Remake was a very good game and did very well. So who is this "anyone" youre talking about. Also I do think the ffxiv protag has a bit more going for him than Ash does. Theres a few more points leading to him not just being the stand in. But in general the WoL is whoever

@Gilver-Redgrave

Because you're wrong, it's as simple as that. You've been proven wrong, by multiple people, multiple times, in this thread, yet you refuse to acknowledge that.

I don't really know what else to say, other than you have a very clear misunderstanding of how a narrative works, how a protagonist works, and why nothing in any of your nonsensical ramblings made even a lick of sense in relation to a remaster of PSU.

And there was nothing about time travel in PSU, at all. I really am starting to think you've never even played Phantasy Star Universe at this point. Time Travel isn't even used in the way you're thinking in PSO2 either - It's used in a paradoxal manner, creating an infinite loop that causes the same events to occur over and over ad-infitium, with some characters having the ability to adjust small portions, or bare witness to, parts of this time loop via the Akashi Records, but there's no actual "I'm going to step into my time machine and travel back in time to change the events of the past to make a brighter future" ala Chrono Trigger, or what you're suggesting in you're "remaster" of PSU.

If anything, PSO2's got more in common with a plot like Chrono Cross, than it does Trigger, when it comes to affecting key points in a timeline to create branching dimensions and outcomes.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I found this odd as Remake was a very good game and did very well. So who is this "anyone" youre talking about.

It depends on who you talk to, honestly. I personally had no problems with Remake, but there's no denying that there were, and still are, a lot of unhappy people out there that wanted a remake of FFVII, and instead got a sequel, which is more of what I was referring too. That's not to say PSU was in any way near as popular as FFVII, but for those that did love it, I imagine they'd want a remaster of the original game, not some bastardization of the plot involving time travel and whatever other nonsense Gilver tried to retcon into what could best be described a fanfiction levels of writing.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

Also I do think the ffxiv protag has a bit more going for him than Ash does. Theres a few more points leading to him not just being the stand in. But in general the WoL is whoever

Not really. You're probably referring to Ardbert, the Warrior of Light from the world of Norvrandt, the setting of Shadowbringers. That's an entirely different character from the Derplander of XIV's cinematics, SE basically just used his model (and the models of the other Norvrand WoL's for that matter) as a nod to ARR's original opening cinematic, where they were all featured. Ardbert is not, however, the cinematic standin Hyur Highlander that shows up in all of XIV's promotional material.

SE has gone out on record say that the canon protagonist of XIV is the player's Warrior of Light, so no, Ash and good old Derplander are perfect comparisons to use.