Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?

@Miraglyth

I said Sega can release it in Episodes like PSO2 and i said it will be changed to be a MMO. Again people DONT expect much content in Dungeon Crawlers they do however expect that in Open World games. So yes thats like comparing Apples with Oranges.

And no you didnt get the original point when i said the 250k would be broken on day one because you ignored the context behind it. The 250k would be broken even tho its still the same game it just looks better and is multiplayer now. The 250k would be broken even tho people know exactly what they get THAT was the point.

So no the excuse that Universe would get more people because its free is invalid because people know what they get. If they dont liked it back then they wont download and play again. Also NGS left a really bad taste in the mouth of new people and i believe they wont care when a Remaster of something old gets released when something new failed them so badly. So yeah Universe wont even bring that much new people because the aftermath of NGS is something that gonna stay in the air for a while.

Even tho Universe isnt anything special i am gonna stretch myself faaar out the window now and claim :"yes it would succeed." Or at least it would have a better launch then NGS which would be a huge kick in the Grown Jewels of NGS.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

because you ignored the context behind it.

Context isn't a magic word that lets you dismiss someone's points. A subscription game vs a free to play version of the same game with no content differences is a ridiculous comparison and to say the latter would see more user accounts created is a practical non-point regardless of any aspects of the game in question.

@Gilver-Redgrave said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

I said Sega can release it in Episodes like PSO2

PSO2's JP release was not episodic. PSO2's Global release was not episodic from Episode 4 onwards. Episodic releases release a full episode at a time, all at once. With the exception of the Global launch which provided Episodes 1-3 in full right away, PSO2 always provided small snippets of content at a time, just as NGS is doing now.

If a hypothetical online-only Universe Remaster released Episode 1 in full (however that would work given the player controlled Ethan rather than their custom character) then it would not be like PSO2 at all.

And if it did release it in episode parts like PSO2 then it'd have comparable launch content to New Genesis. We'd probably get chapters 1 and 2 of Episode 1 - which means the only boss would be Goldova and we'd have to wait at least a month just for De Ragan.

@Miraglyth

Sadly the gaming world does not work the way you describe here.

There are plenty of games that went from P2P to F2P and after that they died. So saying F2P equals more players is a huge generalization. So yeah the same game going from P2P to F2P can indeed fail on a horrible scale. Hence why i said you didnt get the Context because you generalize something unpredigtable. It may seem unfair to you that the same game runs better once it is F2P but thats how the industrie works there days. Something people paid for back then aint worth anything these days after all. Or would you still pay 50 Bucks for Universe ?

@Blade-Syphon said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Gilver-Redgrave

How would that work, though, when Episode 1 was played through the eyes of Ethan, not the PC? I'm all for remastering the game in one capacity or the other, but Episode 1 was designed entirely as a spiritual successor to the original Phantasy Star Quadrilogy,and that included having a pre-defined protagonist in the form of Ethan, and the story being an offline single player experience.

Is that so? Where did you get that idea from?

@Blade-Syphon

Well to be fair PSO2 is also seen trough the eyes of Ash hence why he is the protagonist in Episode Oracle. Ash pretty much is Segas player Character and the Canon protagonist. So i dont see why the same wouldnt work with Universe.

Because Ethan is canonically the protagonist of Episode 1, and not in the same way Ash is. Ethan as a character is interwoven into the overall story arc of Episode 1,2, and 3. You can't simply replace him with a PC and have the same results. He's not at all the same as Ash in that regard. Episode 1, and by proxy Episode 2 and 3's stories, would not work without Ethan. Ash is simply the default stand in for the PC. Outside of Episode Oracle, Ash is not the canon protagonist of PSO2, the PC (or Guardian as it were) is.

Love him or hate him, Ethan is integral to the overall story of PSU. You can't simply replace him with the PC, and get the same results.

@KOSMOSFAN22497

Early Trailers of PSU painted it as both "PSO2 and PSV", as well as the development team's goal being to try to create both a new single player JRPG, as well as a spiritual successor to PSO. It's damn near impossible anymore to find any of the early development interviewers, but the earliest teasers for the game did actually tease it as being both PSO2 and PSV at the same time.

Plus, you know, the fact that the game literally had a twenty+ hour long single player story mode that was completely separate from it's online counterpart? (And the fact that Ambitions of the Iluminus bundled Episode 2 as an offline single player mode, complete with voice acting if you played the PS2 version).

@Blade-Syphon said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@Blade-Syphon

Well to be fair PSO2 is also seen trough the eyes of Ash hence why he is the protagonist in Episode Oracle. Ash pretty much is Segas player Character and the Canon protagonist. So i dont see why the same wouldnt work with Universe.

Because Ethan is canonically the protagonist of Episode 1, and not in the same way Ash is. Ethan as a character is interwoven into the overall story arc of Episode 1,2, and 3. You can't simply replace him with a PC and have the same results. He's not at all the same as Ash in that regard. Episode 1, and by proxy Episode 2 and 3's stories, would not work without Ethan. Ash is simply the default stand in for the PC. @KOSMOSFAN22497

Early Trailers of PSU painted it as both "PSO2 and PSV", as well as the development team's goal being to try to create both a new single player JRPG, as well as a spiritual successor to PSO. It's damn near impossible anymore to find any of the early development interviewers, but the earliest teasers for the game did actually tease it as being both PSO2 and PSV at the same time.

Plus, you know, the fact that the game literally had a twenty+ hour long single player story mode that was completely separate from it's online counterpart? (And the fact that Ambitions of the Iluminus bundled Episode 2 as an offline single player mode, complete with voice acting if you played the PS2 version).

I see.. too bad it was waste of time.......

Hopefully we'll see a Real Phantasy Star V someday eh?

Sadly the gaming world does not work the way you describe here. [snip] It may seem unfair to you that the same game runs better once it is F2P but thats how the industrie works there days.

Where I come from we call that a deflection. 😏

It's not unfair, and I have no stake in this silly comparison. I'm just saying you're not comparing like-for-like.

Or would you still pay 50 Bucks for Universe ?

I imported Universe from America in 2006 to beat a one-month delay imposed on European and Australian players, so I paid more than RRP to begin with.

But you're asking the wrong person here because - since you refused to address the point of my last post - if this Universe Remaster "released like PSO2" and launched with Goldova as the only boss without even having De Ragan, let alone any of Neudaiz, Moatoob or Rykros for months, I wouldn't play it at all.

Ambitions of the Iluminus bundled Episode 2 as an offline single player mode, complete with voice acting if you played the PS2 version

The PC version of AOTI added voice acting to the offline Episode 2 cutscenes (and the online-only Episode 3 ending) too. I'd expect the Xbox 360 version did as well.

@KOSMOSFAN22497

It'd be nice, but I can't really see Sega ever actually making a full fledged turn based Phantasy Star game again that's not a mobile title.

Idola's probably the closest we'll ever, truly, get to a traditional Genesis era Phantasy Star game.

@KOSMOSFAN22497

It'd be nice, but I can't really see Sega ever actually making a full fledged turn based Phantasy Star game again that's not a mobile title.

Idola's probably the closest we'll ever, truly, get to a traditional Genesis era Phantasy Star game.

It's sad too, Good gameplay but everything else....ugh....I still can't believe this was supposed to be a 30th Anniversary game.....

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@KOSMOSFAN22497

It's sad too, Good gameplay but everything else....ugh....I still can't believe this was supposed to be a 30th Anniversary game.....

Good gameplay? Eh...

@Miraglyth

You know what is funny ? I watched Anamanas YT video yesterday and he really said that Universe had more content on release then NGS. So i wonder who i should trust now on the content argument. Maybe you remember it wrong ? Because i know he did play it last year ago again so his memorys are fresh.

Also you know whats funny ? No matter what i compare it is always wrong. Do i compare like to like then people claim :" Nah you cant NGS compare with that because enter irrelevant reason here."

Also again i cant address the point of your post because youre not standing on ground.Generalization never has points and never will.

@Blade-Syphon

Wanna bet i can ? I said the game is being changed to work as MMO remember ?

Also no Ash is the canon protagonist of PSO2. You even see him in the pictures of the Story Missions. We just play his story with our PCs thats all. He also uses the Coated Edge as weapon which cant be possible because it is our weapon/personas unless we are in truth him. Matoi at the end even states that she loves us even if we have a female character and i dont believe shes lesbian. So Matoi clearly sees a Guy as the protagonist. Even Personas body clearly indicates a male no matter how you wanna look at it.

@Yggranya said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

@KOSMOSFAN22497

Good gameplay? Eh...

Okay, it's definitely not perfect to be sure, but it's serviceable enough at least.

@SalutexMO said in Why does it feel like the NGS director wants to kill the series?:

The goal is to sell ac scratch off tickets. Nothing else matters to them

Then why didn't they remake the outlandish bikini? Clearly they do not want my money.

NGS fashion is straight up horrendous, although I like the baby bump it gives me lol

@dalamar they’re starting off slow and they’re going to give us increasingly “fetish fuel” scratches later on. If they had everyone buy that stuff when the game launched they’d have a hard time convincing them to get the mediocre stuff later on. The same thing happened with the base game, relatively ‘normal’ dresses and stuff and months later the bikinis and succubus stuff dropped

Also no Ash is the canon protagonist of PSO2. You even see him in the pictures of the Story Missions. We just play his story with our PCs thats all.

So I'm going to stop you there. Ash in PSO2 serves the same role as Derplander from FFXIV - he's the poster boy for Sega to use when it's not feasible to use the Guardian (for obvious reasons) in promotional artwork, screen grabs, etc.

Ash literally does not exist in PSO2. He is a stand in, and nothing more, for the Guardian. He's the protagonist of the anime, yes, but the anime also isn't "canon" in the sense that it's the defacto version of PSO2's storyline. Ash and Ethan are not comparable.

Everything else you posted completely skirts around what I actually stated - Ethan Waber is the canonical protagonist of Episode 1, with an established personality, family, and friends that all are part of his story. The PC in PSU is introduced in Episode 2 as the apprentice of Leia, another Guardian, and their story is then bound as well to that of Ethan's, who remains the central protagonist throughout PSU. Without Ethan, the entire plot and focus of Episode 2 basically falls apart, as Ethan's "defection" to the Illuminus as a double agent is essential to both motivation Leia and the PC to chase after him, his sister and Karen to try and find out why he "Defected", and more importantly, to actually reveal the motivations of the organization, the origins of Magashi, and reveal to the player who the one orchestrating everything behind the scenes is.

Without Ethan, literally none of the events of PSU's second or even third episodes would work. You cannot replace him with a generic, emotionless PC. It'd be like trying to take Final Fantasy VII, and remove Cloud from the equation and replace him with a generic PC. It does not work.