Gunner Dps...

Hi all, as one who played gunner like it was a religion on pso2, as I have come to play NG since release I leveled a few classes to 20. One of them being Gunner and i must say The Damage for the class just feels sooooooo under performing or is it just just me. The main way to stack up your chain is to use Bullet Rave. every other PA besides Aimless Rain on groups of mobs does not really helps the chain. But Using Bullet Rave as the primary dps skill feels greatly underwhelming specially if the last shot deals 270 dmg on hit. Surprisingly the chain charge version not much higher. A couple of my clan mates were saying some ways to for decent dps is to not go in for the last hit of it and just recast Bullet Rave instead. Others have said to do dash attack(the attack you do after you start sprinting) into Point Blank, If I have to rely on my dash attack as a primary dps source then that should say something about the class. what makes it even more messed up is ,how am I suppose to do that combo if the bosses are flying enemies. That DPS method just got thrown out of the window. I just feel like Gunner is underperforming. I Have a +40 Resurgi TMG with lv3 potential and augmented out as well as most of my gear . Please let me know your thoughts and combos on what you think would be great dps methods to increase the dmg output of class. And please no hate.

It seems to me that the NGS Gunner is a sustained damage class (like the other ranged classes) rather than burst damage class. Part of what might be making you feel like gunner is under-performing is due to targeting the wrong locations. Gunners should really be targeting breakable parts to exposed permanent and semi-permanent weakpoints like all the ranged rather than following the foot fetish meta of the melee.

I Have a +40 Resurgi TMG with lv3 potential and augmented out as well as most of my gear .

Resurgir is not really a series suitable for WA dodge weapons like TMG. The Cattleya 4* series would probably be the better series for the GU.

@ultimatecalibur Hmm Gunner shouldn't be a sustain damage class though, its suppose to be burst 😥 . But i get where you are coming from with the weak point areas lol and i mainly had a resurgir for the multi weapon. been trying multiple ones to go alone with it.

Seeing as how gunner is balanced with chain boost, zra, and chain in mind; it makes sense why it's "weak". In fact, it would actually be the weakest weapon if it wasn't for those said things (aka sub-class weapon lol).

I don't agree with that kind of balancing however. It's unfortunate.

@ultimatecalibur Its got some burstyness. the goal is to rapidly reach chain 100 and hit with charged attacks. The increased attack speed and nearly non-existant cooldown of chain trigger after the first ensures very fast 100 chain chaining.

Also try to stay in close range so you have 20% increased damage.

Tho gunners reliance on chain trigger and close range for optimal damage makes tmgs just about the weakest weapons to use as a subclass. not even worth trying.

there's a helpful dps chart for all weapons here! basically, you wanna skip the last hit of bullet rave--you're actually losing dps by letting it finish, in addition to your chain charging slower. even if you didn't have chain trigger, spamming uncharged bullet rave would be your highest-dps option. repeat it over and over, using stylish roll attacks to regain pp, and you'll hit 100 surprisingly quickly, allowing you to do your burst with either bullet rave or point blank + stylish onslaught.

the skill descriptions don't fully explain this (maybe they're the same as in the base game?), but your stylish roll attacks both change while you have chain boost: the one that generates pp becomes six hits instead of four, as you've probably noticed, and the one that spends pp becomes a short-range, area-damage attack, both of which help with building chain.

@starryeyedgiant said in Gunner Dps...:

there's a helpful dps chart for all weapons here! basically, you wanna skip the last hit of bullet rave--you're actually losing dps by letting it finish, in addition to your chain charging slower. even if you didn't have chain trigger, spamming uncharged bullet rave would be your highest-dps option. repeat it over and over, using stylish roll attacks to regain pp, and you'll hit 100 surprisingly quickly, allowing you to do your burst with either bullet rave or point blank + stylish onslaught.

the skill descriptions don't fully explain this (maybe they're the same as in the base game?), but your stylish roll attacks both change while you have chain boost: the one that generates pp becomes six hits instead of four, as you've probably noticed, and the one that spends pp becomes a short-range, area-damage attack, both of which help with building chain.

Frame Data... this reminds me of fighting game hells... but the DPS listed is great. Thanks for the info!

@starryeyedgiant Good ole dps chart ,its crazy how we need these to figure out a sure way to dps on certain classes but this definitely helps. and i personally feel like tmg is one of the lowest dps classes .specially if they not hitting a weak spot . 😖 achieving 100 chain is priority yes but feels like the dmg in between that is little to nothing compared to other classes.

@Oshian you're not wrong, i think—even with chain boost, you need stylish roll strike back active to break 300 dps, which most classes can do normally. but by spamming bullet rave you can maintain about 274 dps and also max chain boost from zero in less than ten seconds, hypothetically. you get three seconds of chain boost, during which all damage is doubled, so it might well add up.

despite fighting best up close, gunner also has the same advantage as other ranged classes in being able to freely move around while attacking, dodge while continuing to fire, and hit enemies that are above or below you, as well as being able to cancel PAs into a dodge or counter at multiple points—i wouldn't be surprised if actual gunner dps in a boss fight came out better than other classes. admittedly, it's nothing like base pso2, though.

I think ranged damage overall is lackluster compared to melee damage in NGS, and I wouldn't be surprised if its intentional based on how things ended up in PSO2. When they had ranged DPS at or too close to melee, it had the effect of giving little to no incentive in playing melee. When they made Hero TMG counter practically the hardest hitting counter for the class, for example, "TMG Hero" ended up being a thing, with people just never even using Sword or Talis.

As long as they dont create any instanced content that requires you do it solo, this can work. They should however add more Team-based utility to Gunner if that is their plan. Force/techer at least has area healing and the ability to elementally down bosses. Ranger at least has weak bullet to increase the damage of everyone attacking the marked point. Gunner hasnt a thing to benefit the team with, not even its dps.

Oh a note about the dps chart refrenced. What I'm not seeing on it is the bonus potency added to the charged attack that ends the chain trigger. I dont remember where I saw the chain trigger boost specification chart, but for each boost stage you can get from the varying levels of chain trigger finishers that depends on your chain count, the charged skill used to finish the boost also gets a varying boost. I believe it is 2x potency at 100 chain.

@AngryRhombus563 i think that number is correct from my own testing--though one small correction: just like in base pso2, it's not just the finishing skill that gets the finisher boost. as long as the combo number is glowing yellow, you have a 200% damage boost—any hits you can cram in during that time, before the combo number disappears and the countdown timer appears, benefit from that boost.

@AngryRhombus563 "Gunner hasnt a thing to benefit the team with, not even its dps." Felt that on a spiritual level man. My clanmate said he made a program testing every combo for Gunner and we would still be underpowered. I hope we get some well balanced buff for this class and i hope to god they bring back GRIM BARRAGE working exactly how it does in pso2!!!!

i see where you are coming from, but im not quite as sure if thats not only a matter of perspective. I mean i have not played all the classes yet. I mainly played Force and Gunner till now and though the Burst Damage of the Force is way higher, often achieving damages of 1000-1500 when hitting weakspots or multihit combos (Charged Barta, Barta Clod sigil release, Elemental Bullet) of about 500 each, but i think what ultimatecalibur said is right, Gunner is more of a Sustained Damage Class. Not quite sure why it shouldnt be, but i guess you are referring to PSO2 Classic which i havent really played yet. But this isnt PSO2 Classic. I Kill enemys about twice as Fast with my Gunner than with my Force so the DPS is indeed pretty good. Also you have the ability to pump out the damage without getting hit much and being so mobile that you can nearly constantly hit weakspots. Only few enemys give me trouble in that regard.

What i have to say though is that it really bugs me that bullet rave is better without letting the final hit rip. I mean its a bit of a waste. Oh and i do not know if its a known fact, but whenever Possible im using charged Point Blanc to a weakspot to finish my 100 chain. Does over 1000 per hit most of the time that way. do not exactly know what multiplyers all work into this cause in other cases i only do like 200-300 per hit with it to a weakspot.

I've played GU since closed beta and I've always enjoyed the class, but have to understand that it plays differently to PSO2, I'd say its DPS is 'slightly' underperforming compared to other classes but by no means is the class weak, like others have said ~ its all about getting your chain to 100 as fast as possible.

With all said and mention from previous posts I just would like to toss some sprinkles on the subject. Gunner has the damage to be on par with other classes with some Tender Love & Care. Reason being the resurguir series TMG allow a crit rate additive and when paired with an fixa supporting it there exist more frequently crit damage.

I chain an average of 50 with a ballpark swing in the end of 300 on final blow. Doing the quick math you over 500 easy in a chain cycle. Charged, it most definitely was but that is the goal to dodge/roll for a opportunity. The benefit with the class combo Fu/Gu is the PP recovery. Just get fixa units with PP offensive recovery (darn spoke too much) and you will see the difference.

You can process an elemental down if you sub Fu or Te but depends on play style preference as you will have to give up sum slots on your weapon. Straga wouldn't be optimal unless you augmented right on your units. Although its still a option just require allot more n-meseta.

I could further dive in the matter but again potency is king as I always say online and food stand is serving so long as you do the grocery shopping. Knowing what to slot is key to any class and besides Gunner is midrange so you can pull out at any time much quicker and pew pew from a different height/angle.

Enjoy