My revisited opinion about NGS...

I think I should mostly focus on the combat here.

I miss the old PSO2's flashy and fast paced combat, not gonna lie. The combat in NGS feels like a chore, charging some of the attacks (I mainly play sword since it is the closest to braver) takes forever, and deal very little damage.

The enemies feels like complete bullet sponges and upredictable attack moves, I just dont like this direction they are taking regarding the enemies and the way to combat them. In PSO2 when I started, even with low level gear the combat felt fast paced and the enemies did not feel like bullet sponges. Also you could easily read the enemy attack moves to initiate a perfect parry move or a dodge, without an entirely random attack coming outta nowhere sending you flying, especialy with how the NPC enemy bosses are designed that way. Sending your character flying constantly because there is lack of ways to read their attacks is infuriating at best.

Now, aside from the clunky combat that NGS has, I gotta point out the general lack of areas to explore, lack of random encounters and how generaly exploring the sectors feels like a chore.

In base PSO2 when you are on an expedition, you would get those "Emergency, code: Random mission" as an random encounter, in NGS you are mostly forced to follow random locations the game tells you to go to complete the objective, this kinda ruins the whole purpose of an open world game when you are forced to go to certain locations either way, and chase after PSE bursts.

My final hope for this game is that SEGA is atleast going to bring all of the old base PSO2 elements into NGS, what made PSO2 so lovable and addictive to me before NGS was launched.

I’ll admit, it’s a bit upsetting taking forever to defeat a lvl 1 Pettas Sword at lvl 20. 😕

I do not want to offend anyone, but if you cant read the moves of your enemy you just have to pay more attention. I mean yeah sometimes i get hit by suprise too, but thats more related to hitbox issues than unpredictability. its more the opposite, i think that most enemys are really easy to predict, to the point even that its a bit boring to fight them. Like the Chicuro or however its named or the Varnas or something(the one with 6 hands). I only have a problem with the hitboxes of really big enemys like Pettas Vera, Nex Vera, Nex Aelio, Daityl Sword and so on. The hitboxes often extend WAY over the model. Like the Tailswing of Nex Aelio or Nex Vera.

I think the Combat is fine so far, what bugs me a bit is the lack of Photon Arts. I mean most classes have about 3 and thats it. Its not much and you tend to use only one most of the time.

Although i do think some enemys are particularly bullet spongy. Most of all the Pettas Sword/Gun/Axe, Those Horse thingys, and the Fat Dolls.

@Charus said in My revisited opinion about NGS...:

The enemies feels like complete bullet sponges and upredictable attack moves, I just dont like this direction they are taking regarding the enemies and the way to combat them. In PSO2 when I started, even with low level gear the combat felt fast paced and the enemies did not feel like bullet sponges. Also you could easily read the enemy attack moves to initiate a perfect parry move or a dodge, without an entirely random attack coming outta nowhere sending you flying, especialy with how the NPC enemy bosses are designed that way. Sending your character flying constantly because there is lack of ways to read their attacks is infuriating at best.

You are probably too used to using overpowered weapons and being overleveled in PSO2. If you hop in the Ultrahard Risk Explorations, things are even more spongy in there.

In EP4, PSO2 introduced NT weapons into the game which are considerably stronger than OT weapons. Global never got to experience using the weaker OT weapons especially starting out the game. Just using the basic sword for example, OT weapon is only 94 attack starting out and 140 at +10 (OT max enhancement), while the NT weapon is 204 at start already 50% stronger than a max enhanced OT weapon and then you can enhance it even more on top of that.

While they are not hard to read, they are definitely hard to predict. You never know if they are going to decide to jump out of the way or attack, or slowly walk around for some strange reason, so you never know if it's safe to do a photon art. The fat guys will just do 180 degrees instantly over and over, sometimes they'll suddenly jump and slam with no warning. You add broken targeting, dodge/blocks that randomly fails, randomly dropped inputs, highly mobile monsters that can fly, and it can get really irritating.

@Gathar said in My revisited opinion about NGS...:

You never know if they are going to decide to jump out of the way or attack, or slowly walk around for some strange reason, so you never know if it's safe to do a photon art.

Playing fighter, I kinda just use weapon action whenever the enemy moves. Being able to animation cancel at any point is a godsent.

There's only relatively few attacks that I can identify right from the start and they're usually the ones with long, obvious wind-ups. Stuff like the big AoE blasts, or the Nogleth punch. Everything else happens too quickly for me to identify it before it hits me, so I parry just in case it's a jump, claw or w/e.

I feel.the combat in NGS is 1000% better than base pso2. Enemies respawning, open-world esque instances, and the ability to do whatever you want without having some bizarre Perfe t Attack system slowing the pace down.

Enemies aren't too bad to predict and react accordingly for the most part. Their attacks seem very dependant on your range and angle to them. Even the big UQ Pettas can be controlled to an extent if you get his aggro. What I really don't like is the lack of enemy and weapon variety. It wastes the potential of the combat system and turns everything into a mundane task.

Really hope that they have enemies with very specific mechanics at some point. Most PSO2 fights have been just bullet sponges and that gets old these days.

my personal experience (and of course i don't mean to say anyone else's experience is incorrect) has actually been the exact opposite, surprisingly enough. ever since i saw footage of ngs gameplay i was struck by how clearly paced enemy attacks were, and i've found them miles easier to predict and counter than the boss attacks in base pso2. i always figured the telegraphs were a lot more clear (and the enemies were tougher and spongier) because ngs has a stronger focus on counter gameplay and wants to feel more like dark souls or monster hunter in that respect, rather than the base game where the vast majority of enemies were oneshots and i had more luck manoeuvring out of attacks than trying to counter them. regarding the new game, is there anything in particular you're having trouble with?

i do wish there were more enemy variety, though what does exist seems good enough for the one or two zones that are released right now—both are pretty limited.

The fat guys will just do 180 degrees instantly over and over

Not only the fat guys but any and every enemy with a weakspot on one side. Any time you hit the weakspot, suddenly you are hitting the wrong side somehow. If two people are attacking them from opposite sides, it really looks ridiculous. The consistency of it makes it seem like it's not a bug, which is disheartening.

Also, the "action" combat is pretty much a joke since if the enemies just kept fighting back, you'd get wrecked if you used a single PAs, so the enemies randomly forget why they're there and start shuffling around so you use something other than counters. When you see the attack coming, it's really easy to predict, which i suppose is why they just do nothing so you need to spam PAs to give them an opportunity to hit you while you're posing. You can cancel from most thing, but then there are the points in PAs where you can't and they all last too long to do anything when enemies FINALLY decide to attack and since the shuffling last for an undisclosed amount of time, you just hit it until it does something (and get backstabbed from 3 different directions in the meantime).

You just zerg everything and have pockets full of reversasignes to make dying less than an inconvenience and more of a 5 second pause in DPS, just like before.

It's the kind of combat system that seems like an improvement for a few hours...and then you see it for what it really is. Frustrating as hell.

And i could go on and on about enemy design. Like the UQ bosses and their randomly spawning attacks that have zero warning since the attacks just spawn on top of you out of nowhere.

@Yggranya said in My revisited opinion about NGS...:

The fat guys will just do 180 degrees instantly over and over

Not only the fat guys but any and every enemy with a weakspot on one side. Any time you hit the weakspot, suddenly you are hitting the wrong side somehow. If two people are attacking them from opposite sides, it really looks ridiculous. The consistency of it makes it seem like it's not a bug, which is disheartening.

Also, the "action" combat is pretty much a joke since if the enemies just kept fighting back, you'd get wrecked if you used a single PAs, so the enemies randomly forget why they're there and start shuffling around so you use something other than counters. When you see the attack coming, it's really easy to predict, which i suppose is why they just do nothing so you need to spam PAs to give them an opportunity to hit you while you're posing. You can cancel from most thing, but then there are the points in PAs where you can't and they all last too long to do anything when enemies FINALLY decide to attack and since the shuffling last for an undisclosed amount of time, you just hit it until it does something (and get backstabbed from 3 different directions in the meantime).

You just zerg everything and have pockets full of reversasignes to make dying less than an inconvenience and more of a 5 second pause in DPS, just like before.

It's the kind of combat system that seems like an improvement for a few hours...and then you see it for what it really is. Frustrating as hell.

And i could go on and on about enemy design. Like the UQ bosses and their randomly spawning attacks that have zero warning since the attacks just spawn on top of you out of nowhere.

Really the only thing i am your opinion is that some enemys just forget where they are sometimes. everything else i cannot see. i am really satisfied with combat. its frustrating when a lag spike hits but thats an entirely different matter. i mean yeah some fights are really easy, like fighting nogleths as a Gunner because you can basically stay airborne all the time and never get hit, but all in all its good tactical action combat.

@BlackZero500 "Tactical"? Yeah, i guess that's all i needed to hear from you. Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

@BlackZero500

You should try playing a melee character.

@Knight-Raime I'm sure what you meant to say was "git gud" but close enough.