This intel emote campaign is incredibly funny to me

https://ngs.pso2.com/news/events/campaign20210701

During the campaign period, those who purchase a computer with INTEL's Tiger Lake will receive an Emote that can be used in “PSO2 New Genesis” as a bonus.

55cb8b6a-62ea-4095-a84c-ce85634c3fa6-image.png

I'm really curious if this will drive any kind of sales at all vs people just randomly getting it from buying an Intel PC anyway. I can't say I can think of the kinda person who'd be influenced on a $900+ purchase by this emote, so this just comes across as a bizarrely funny business decision to me.

This seems to be just a joke, seriously anyone who goes for this deliberately has more money than brains.

As for people randomly getting this emote because they upgraded their gaming abilities, its just going to end up like the Xbox ones from Game Pass, and not get used much.

JP had similar promotions but with a cafe where you'd get emotes if you ordered specific items off the menu.

I bought one of the CPUs from Amazon for the campaign

828c9f2a-6049-4711-a88d-0c148ef5deeb-image.png

I worry this kind of thing will lead to effective RMT by Intel product buyers who have no interest in PSO2 selling emote codes to PSO2 players to recoup some of the cost of their purchase.

I mean if you're in the market for a new CPU already and you play PSO2, why not?

@Miraglyth said in This intel emote campaign is incredibly funny to me:

I worry this kind of thing will lead to effective RMT by Intel product buyers who have no interest in PSO2 selling emote codes to PSO2 players to recoup some of the cost of their purchase.

I'm not worried about that, tbh. We've already had more than a few DLC packages (ragol, nier, etc) that have tradable cosmetics that are tradable on the MB, not to mention the gachas in general, if people sold this emote it would be far from a new thing. People spending IRL money on PSO2 to get a thing they want and then selling the chaff on the MB is hardly a new thing.

@Xaelon said in This intel emote campaign is incredibly funny to me:

I mean if you're in the market for a new CPU already and you play PSO2, why not?

If it was something measurably better than an intel advertisement emote, maybe. But the idea that someone making such a large purchase as a PC would change what processor they were going to go with because of this just flabbergasts me.

Aside from that person posting earlier, but I don't even know if they're serious because I'm pretty sure the 10600K doesn't qualify.

@Akonyl 7cad24f5-6833-4627-a2f6-1d3f1ff5bea9-image.png

If it doesn't end up having the code, I'll just return it. It's not a big deal.

hm, that's fair. The page itself only mentions Tiger Lake and that CPU seems like it was from Comet Lake, so assumed it wouldn't be. Guess that bit's just a bit of weirdness on the NGS page then, but that's not surprising.

@Akonyl said in This intel emote campaign is incredibly funny to me:

We've already had more than a few DLC packages (ragol, nier, etc) that have tradable cosmetics [snip] if people sold this emote it would be far from a new thing.

Yeah, and that trading happens within the game, between two PSO2-playing players. Same with the Start Dash Rappy Pack. People aren't buying that to sell the contents on the PSO2 player market because it doesn't have any non-PSO2 contents at all. An Intel device purchase certainly does, and if the buyer has no intention of playing PSO2 or if the code isn't tradable and they want to monetise it, it won't be through PSO2 and that would be a new thing.

We'll know for sure it's a problem if the RMT spammers start mentioning Intel codes.

As an aside this is certainly an interesting new type of campaign to add to this little campaign tracker resource I'm running.

The PSO2 campaign page says it'll run until 2023 but the last redemption period to finish on the two Intel promotion pages is the end of January 2022. Maybe there'll be more Intel promotions beyond that point that haven't been finalised yet, or maybe PSO2 has a lengthy grace period to enter the PSO2 code after claiming it from the Intel page.

For sensibility's sake I'll just use the January 2022 date as the last date (thus far) that a player can start engaging with the campaign.

a heads up, you need a "master key" with your purchase

receive a Master Key (a unique series of alphanumeric characters, “MK”) from an approved participating retailer during the Purchase Period;

@Akonyl If you notice I said "If you're in the market for a CPU already"

I said:

IE you were already planning on buying a PC/CPU for a completely different reason, so why not get something extra with the purchase you were already going to make anyway?

You make it sound like I'm suggesting that someone should buy a new $5000 PC JUST for this emote.

Players: Can we have Collabs?

SEGA: We Have Collabs at home

Collabs at home:

1625188412690-55cb8b6a-62ea-4095-a84c-ce85634c3fa6-image.png

@Xaelon said in This intel emote campaign is incredibly funny to me:

@Akonyl If you notice I said "If you're in the market for a CPU already"

I said:

IE you were already planning on buying a PC/CPU for a completely different reason, so why not get something extra with the purchase you were already going to make anyway?

You make it sound like I'm suggesting that someone should buy a new $5000 PC JUST for this emote.

If it was, it wasn't what I was intending to say. But the purpose of this emote is to drive additional Intel sales, which means it's trying to either make people

A) refresh their Intel-based PC earlier than they would have otherwise, or

B) choose Intel over AMD in their upcoming PC purchase, which is the case you're probably thinking of with the "already in the market" quote (since if you were already in the market and already focused on Intel, this'd be a pretty pointless campaign on Intel's part), and what I was talking about in my post ("changing what processor they were going to get"). In which case, I just can't imagine making a $1k+ purchase and deciding to not go with my first choice of parts just because a choice further down the ladder came along with this goofy ad emote.