Idea to stop bots

@Weirdo said in Idea to stop bots:

@AlexOak said in Idea to stop bots:

@Zeke said in Idea to stop bots:

IP ban China and most bot issues will go away like magic.

Or just ban VPNS, and take an EPIC approach to RTM.

I think VPN's are already against the rules.

They officially are now and a lot of people getting their accounts banned on Global/JP for trying to use one.

@Zeke why is a VPN bad

If someone's in a zone that doesn't have the game why can't they just use one to play it or am I missing something

I've only seen one bot since the symbol art block but it seems like they're able to repeat-send the same message again without the old bypass of appending a bunch of random characters at the end. I'm guessing they only switched to symbol art because it bypassed certain filters and maybe provided a larger bubble?

I wonder how much a non-bot reasonably types in Central City. I've had plenty of extended conversations in the middle of town but when there's several people involved it's still maybe one or two messages per minute each person sends rather than every ten seconds. And of course it's all only in one block.

Feels like the game could definitely enact a few measures about that, without outright blocking chat features for newer players.

Like, if switching blocks temporarily disables chat for 1-2 minutes it'd stop bots block-hopping, forcing them to either stick around (and get reported rather than hopping too quickly for other players to click them) or wait 2 minutes after every hop (reducing spam).

Or maybe if players had a hidden limited allocation of say 60 chat points where sending a message consumed 1 point and switching blocks (besides UQ matchmaking) or logging out consumed 30 (or less if they had less), but 1 point was restored every 60 seconds and trying to send a message with 0 points gave a preventative message. That wouldn't impede any realistic regular chat but would force bots to switch accounts every 2 blocks if they wanted to keep being persistent with spam and shift the balance of bot account creation and usefulness a little further away from them.

There was a game called Rohan that had these handcuff items that could be used on other players that you thought were boting or money spammers, they could not be used on players that were fighting, what they did was force you to answer a captcha before you could go back to playing the game, and if you failed a set number of times then your banned, there was also a spot to click if you have trouble with the captcha, o and if you logged off when the captcha popped up your would get banned as well

@SaviorZero82 said in Idea to stop bots:

o and if you logged off when the captcha popped up your would get banned as well

That sounds terrible. The griefing potential of using that item on someone 3-10 seconds after they sent a message like "Going to sleep, see you all tomorrow!" in the hopes of it getting applied right as they click the logout button seems too harsh.

@Miraglyth said in Idea to stop bots:

o and if you logged off when the captcha popped up your would get banned as well

That sounds terrible. The griefing potential of using that item on someone 3-10 seconds after they sent a message like "Going to sleep, see you all tomorrow!" in the hopes of it getting applied right as they click the logout button seems too harsh.

Cough Maplestory Cough

Cough Maplestory Cough

What is this about a lie detector?

@Miraglyth there was something in place to help fight that as well, I know if you used the items you had to choose why and if the person you used it on got the captcha right then they couldn’t have the item used on them again for 24 hours, o and if the player using the handcuffs did it multiple time they would have the item locked for a set amount of time

@Weirdo said in Idea to stop bots:

Cough Maplestory Cough

What is this about a lie detector?

Yes but that item was removed and add somewhere else.

@Miraglyth there was something in place to help fight that as well

I don't want "help fight" against a real chance of being grief-banned for logging out right when some jerk attempts to get me falsely banned. I want that to never be remotely possible in the first place because it flat-out should never be.

I wonder if Sega would take any of this advice may be using one or multiple of these ideas

As long as the solution isn’t worse than the problem, I’m all for it. 👍