Area Symbol Art Change

https://ngs.pso2.com/news/announcements/announcement20210630

It says that in future there will be:

Add an option under settings to specify the display area under the “Displaying Symbol Art of Other Players” option

What really does this mean? Does it mean that I can, for example, specify other people's symbol arts to always display on the right-hand side of the screen towards the edge, in an area spanning the screen height but always against the right-most end of my screen, in my peripheral vision? If that's the case, it would be great.

For me, RMT spam (and sometimes lewd or ugly memes) is annoying because it is always displayed "in your face" style.

If we can relegate Area symbol art to always display in the peripheral area, and only allow party and alliance symbol art to display in the central area of the screen, that would be really great.

We’ll have to see wat the changes look like before we can judge sadly. 😕

Not judging, just really hoping they do it that way. Since it's not going to go live today, and it sounds like they're still working on the feature, it would be nice if our opinions can help it become something that players like, instead of something that a programmer who possibly doesn't even play the game, thinks it should be.

Seen so many features gone wrong in not only games but also productivity and professionl software because the programmers have no idea what's going on in real usage and made things worse. Kinda tired of programmers who think they know best and shove useless features down our throat. 😞

@kztm It will probably be a little extra control over symbol art display rather than just the current Show or Hide option. With this maint they are forcing 'show area symbol art' off, an option we currently dont have to set. When they re-enable the ability to see area symbol art, the option that they are adding will default to off and we'll have to re-enable it, but it will be expanded so that we can hide area, but show party and alliance, and probably be able to show/hid each seperately rather than the blanket all on or off as current.

@AngryRhombus563 said in Area Symbol Art Change:

it will be expanded so that we can hide area, but show party and alliance, and probably be able to show/hid each seperately rather than the blanket all on or off as current.

Hm. That would be so much less useful. I still want to see all the symbol arts, I just don't want them in my face all the time. 😞

@kztm It will at least solve both the problem of bots abusing symbol arts and the problem of people being too sensitive :3. After its all fixed, no more offensive NSFW symbol arts in their faces.

Also streamers/recorders who forget to turn it off before hand

At least this problem was finally looked at at least. XD

GOOD.

Like I and others before me said that SEGA would end up doing this because ya'll can't be mature and use SAs for their intended purpose,which wasn't NSFW spam.

Now you're all acting surprised, as if you weren't warned.

@Kofi9867 No one is acting surprised, and they did it for bots. If they gave a damn about nsfw they could have done it years ago over the course of PSO2's life span. The MA rating makes them ok to display, always has. NSFW didn't get spammed like bot spamming did, and its always been possible to block individual SA. Unlike Bots, no one was going to re-create it just to get around your blocking either. Thats what bots have been doing.

Perhaps this marks a shift in the status of the SEGA NA team? Back then, SEGA NA was just tasked with brining the PSO2 (JP) experience to the world, so everything is based on the JP version. Now SEGA NA is tasked with running PSO2 Global, so they are allowed to implement Global-only measures that otherwise would be pointless in JP.

@kztm said in Area Symbol Art Change:

it will be expanded so that we can hide area, but show party and alliance, and probably be able to show/hid each seperately rather than the blanket all on or off as current.

Hm. That would be so much less useful. I still want to see all the symbol arts, I just don't want them in my face all the time. 😞

The fact that you can hide all chat except the part where it gets plastered on your face should be ample proof that they don't want to do that for some reason.

@Kofi9867 I doubt it was the NSFW SAs that pushed them to do it. It was more likely all the constant RMT Adverts/Phishing Attempts from bot accounts which are more "inappropriate" than the lewd stuff in SEGAs mind.

This will kill the bot SA spam as no one will be able to see them at default.

@ultimatecalibur said in Area Symbol Art Change:

@Kofi9867 I doubt it was the NSFW SAs that pushed them to do it. It was more likely all the constant RMT Adverts/Phishing Attempts from bot accounts which are more "inappropriate" than the lewd stuff in SEGAs mind.

This will kill the bot SA spam as no one will be able to see them at default.

And so they stop using SA spam and go back to chat spam. If it causes them to allow people to finally hide chat entirely, then i'm all for it.

@Kofi9867 No one is acting surprised, and they did it for bots. If they gave a damn about nsfw they could have done it years ago over the course of PSO2's life span. The MA rating makes them ok to display, always has. NSFW didn't get spammed like bot spamming did, and its always been possible to block individual SA. Unlike Bots, no one was going to re-create it just to get around your blocking either. Thats what bots have been doing.

This logic has a lot of flaws.

1. If they gave a damn about nsfw they could have done it years ago. . . - This game has been in Global for a little over a year now. This measure is a global only measure. Global has relied on streamers/content creators as the main form of advertising the game, so symbol arts defaulting to off directly benefit them the most.

2. The MA rating makes them ok to display, always has - False. The game did not even have a M rating until the middle of 2020. You admitted this has been occurring for years, which if you use your MA logic, means that it has not always been OK.

3. Everyone agreed to the EULA - In the EULA it expresses that user created content has nothing to do with the game's rating and even states they are not to blame for what users create. It also states the following: Terms of Service not allowed.PNG

In closing, if you are logged in to the game, you agreed not to use any symbol arts that meet that defined criteria. This is just the PSO2 EULA, btw. This isn't including the EULA/Code of Conduct you agreed to on Microsoft, Steam, or Epic.

@John-Paul-RAGE And its all hilarious how all the SA that make you upset came from a game that has been in existence since around 2011. Not 2020, 2011. Took them 10 years to give you the impression that they care about stopping NSFW Symbol art. They didn't even care the entire year+ of Global PSO2.

But you refuse to draw the correlation between RMT bots using SA all of a sudden to SA countermeasures. Just too funny.

They dont care about any of those 3 points, hate to say. What they did do is give you the ability to block and delete the ones you don't like. They aren't going to do anything to any individuals that used them. In fact t hanks to the Bots they are doing these counter measures for, people will be free of the NSFW they dont want to see as a side effect.