Does Sega know how to count? Wrong potency on weapon

@AngryRhombus563

Nice post but in the first place all potencies should multiply. If anything it's the first stat screen that might do some rounding down errors but the totals are accurate.

@Skape_Gote said in Does Sega know how to count? Wrong potency on weapon:

I'm thinking that the game is only calculating/displaying the Fixa ATK and rounding it down.

If anything it is the opposite. It is the client displaying culled (i.e. .5s removed) versions of base stats plus affixes. The Fixa modifications are not displayed at all. You can see this with Fixa Guard on unmodified armors.

@Hooonter said in Does Sega know how to count? Wrong potency on weapon:

Nice post but in the first place all potencies should multiply. If anything it's the first stat screen that might do some rounding down errors but the totals are accurate.

No, they should not. Multiplicative bonuses cause long term growth problems and scaling issues.

Just want to throw this out there:

When wearing just one unit, with no weapons equipped, the unit details % and the character info % differ by 1%, using this unit:

• Qual de Armor: Sheza+40 (+1%)
  • Technique III +2%
  • Nex Soul II +2%
  • Ael Domina +1.5%
  • Gigas Technique II +2%

The unit details says 8%, while character sheet says 9%.

@kztm I that case it seems that the character sheet is rounding up to the nearest whole digit while the unit detail seem to be culling the .5s before adding up the total.

@Hooonter that would be a really bad thing to do. What youre actually getting would be a mess. it wasnt even like this in pso2. plus it only starts weirding out the total on the char seen at the 3rd piece of augmented equipment.

like what srange "multiplicitive" math would the be using to make what would be a total of 12% instead be13%? its just a bad formula going on there.

No, they should not. Multiplicative bonuses cause long term growth problems and scaling issues.

@ultimatecalibur

In the first place I mentioned it in regards to how the game actually works. But if you want my opinion then it's really additive bonuses that suck and are hard to manage. Like how much damage do you even get out of affixing 2% damage bonus on your unit? With multiplication the answer is always 2% more, with addition first you need to check how much your total bonus is because the bonuses diminish with value the more of them you have. On the other hand multiplication is actually easy to manage because you don't need to worry about player baselines. It's far easier to work with multiplication for skill trees too, because you know you're giving your player 50% damage if he performs an Avenger parry which always puts it at given DPS level. If you had to include any additions there you would have terrible problems like the value of parrying with Avenger being lower for people with worse gear, at which point you want Avenger to be a separate bonus instead of adding to everything, at which point you're making the system more confusing because the player needs to deep dive into what modifiers add and what multiply to understand how to gear/build their character.

it wasnt even like this in pso2

@AngryRhombus563

Everything in PSO2 multiplied, like SSAs. The only thing different is that PSO2 let you affix attack on units instead of modifiers, which actually made certain things harder to manage like again the lowering value of raw attack and needing to power creep affixes.

Also while unit display alone is kind of fucky, the total display is accurate since it's showing 40% for me when I have mathematically 1.40065194076 total gear modifier. 12% to 13% sounds either like rounding up or you forgetting to multiply something like for example a unit bonus.

@Hooonter PSO2 had very few % based modifier augments, and the ones that exist eeryone knows was additive, not multiplicative. Augment will 2 of 6% + Axiom will 2 of 5% + Skillful will adept of 2% = 13%, not whatever crazy concoction weird sega math in NGS would come up with. The only buff that was multiplicative was the photon tree buffs.

They also for sure did not take any seperate RDR, EXP, or Meseta % increasers and multiply them. no one had that many thousands of increased RDR, or we would not be calling RDR a lie.

It makes no sense to make 5% melee potency + 5 % melee potency + 5% melee potency = anything other than 15%. In no MMO do they take the same multiplier of a stat across multiple pieces of gear and multiply them. Thats literal stupid.

@AngryRhombus563

You know you can actually check that all the damage multipliers on gear multiplied in PSO2 all the same. RDR/EXP/Meseta is another thing and kind of irrelevant to the discussion.