Techter questions and thoughts

Just some general thoughts turned questions for Techters:

What skills did you take?

e4977f8f-8df1-4ef6-814f-eae60997797a-image.png

b2070cff-81ba-4376-8c69-ac369039aceb-image.png

What is everyone using as their Subclass and why?

I've been Te/Fo for a while, with natural PP recovery, Blot / Clad, and Talis skills as my focuses. I figured if I was going Techter main, I should get all the skills to further enhance the Techter techs and weapon options.

What sort of rotation do you use?

I was playing Techter like PSO2 Techter at first. Wand smash primary attacking everything under the sun. Doesn't quite have the same effect in NGS. So now I sort of weave primary attacks in with Wave Crash.

On the subject of Wave Crash, for those of you better with numbers than I: Is it better to charge Swift Smash repeatedly when going for a downed weak point, or is Wave Crash spam better?

I sort of bounce back and forth depending on the fight or where the weak point is.

Do you use a multi-weapon?

I don't. I use a wand and a talis separately. No need for a multi-weapon. I can't even see myself using one in general.

I think that's it for the moment. Just stuff I've been thinking about as I've been playing.

@Furious-0 My tree looks similar to yours with the exception that I also have the slow-landing charge skill because I enjoy aerial combat.

On my end, however, I have a multi-weapon (Wand/Talis ) simply because I kept the Photon Art that creates the Triple Shot/Six-Way Shot ring and also use the weapon action. The weapon action being set to a Multi-Weapon allows you to deploy the Talis' turret so you can whack away with the Wand and not lose your automatic PP regeneration but you will have to manually set up the ring if you switch back to the Talis attacks because the Wand instantly cancels what you're using (which means you don't need the Talis Bloom Revoke skill).

I feel the Revoke skills should be innate because I dislike the idea of wasting a skill point to unintentionally revert your element or stance.

I don't use the wand as Te/Fo. I also didn't take Reverse bounty. Instead I Filled WEA and put a point into Awake Aile. Also grabbed the two talis skills. (Don't need the revoke skill cuz multiweapon) On the force tree I grabbed pp restoration and charge slow land. pp regen while charging, rod guard skills and the pp restore on death. (Amazing for pse burst mobbing)

I generally stay in Melee/Mid range. Ground or Air depends on the boss. And I spam their weakness. Barta/Foie I rely primarily on charged techs. I take advantage of BB when i build the sigil through rod guard bullets. Zonde is the spell I change the most depending on what i'm doing. Uncharged for mobbing and burning ZC when it charges. UQ bosses generally just get the charged version since the additional two hits over the course of 7-9 hits (Hits required to charge ZC) make up for that empowered strike. Generally start every fight with a charged tech and then Talis WA. Then I drain my pp, Talis WA again and dash attack to refill before repeating. I utilize as many attacks as I can for rod guard/elemental bullet proccing otherwise since that's also pp-restoration.

My Weapon is a MW Talis/Rod Resugir series, Talis is the base weapon. +40 Potential 3. Nex soul 1, Alts Secreta 2, Gigas Technique 1, Technique 2. (working on upgrading the level 1 augments.) 3x Qual:Belta Units +20. Alts Secreta 2, Gigas Technique 1(1 unit has Gigas Technique 2) Nex soul 1(1 unit has Nex soul 2) Altogether i think this reaches about 23% Tech potency. my ending hp is 297 and my ending pp is 132? I use Talis basic, Zonde, Rod Guard on my front pallete Barta, Foie, Talis Turret on my back pallete. I have Gifoie, Converge shot, and spead shot set on my sub pallete. (as far as PA/Techs).

I main a TE/HU at lvl20, also played TE since it was introduced in JP PSO2 during launch year.

Weak Element Amp is trash because you don't really need PBs for basic mob clearing, and it is a 10 point skill. PBs are mostly useful on boss-type mobs during down periods. Awake Aile gives the same bonus with half the point expenditure in those exact circumstances, and as such, any point in to either should go to AA first. You don't have enough to max both if you want your TE tree to not be garbage so go with AA first and one point in WEA is OK because the first point is a significant boost compared to the next 9.

You absolutely should not have skipped Slow-landing Charge Techer, it makes Swift Smash way more useable and viable as a main DPS ability because you can go from mob to mob more fluently without ground obstruction, and it makes spamming SS on boss weak points actually sensible if their weak point isn't literally on the ground level. Especially since instead of putting 1 point there, you instead used it for a tiny extra % of PB meter off elemental damage which, as we covered in the first paragraph, is trash compared to AA anyway.

The rest is pretty obvious and you didn't fall in to any of the bold-faced trap skills, like talis skills or wand revoke.

Hunter. Mostly because it was my go-to in classic since Techter's launch, but I've tapped a pretty good playstyle with it. I like the whole "Paladin" style of melee while casting support, with only a minor emphasis on spells.

I ignore Wave Crash entirely because it's a dogwater PA that is half as effective as almost any other weapon's "AOE" option. Since I'm a TE/HU, I use the infinitely more potent Twisting Zapper. I chain in to Swift Smash for moving around the battlefield quickly with a very high burst damage amount attached to that movement, and convert in to Twisting Zapper when cleave is needed. On the sub-pallet, I have Calibur Streak for boss downs/weak points because it's simply a more effective single target option in terms of consistency and there's a lack of any need to move or be moved by the PA itself, and I'm not at the mercy of falling while charging it (even if slowly with SLC-Techter).

On the subject of Wave Crash, for those of you better with numbers than I: Is it better to charge Swift Smash repeatedly when going for a downed weak point, or is Wave Crash spam better?

Tough question, because I think both are pretty mediocre for weak point/down options. However, since you play a TE/FO and thus your only alternatives are Techs which, at this point in the game, are the worst source of DPS in the game, the testing that I've done shows SS to be very much superior, even if you're charging to full each cast, and you don't risk so much whiffing or awkward repositioning due to the nature of how Wave Crash moves you around nonsensically thanks to the hammer animation. I can see how you wouldn't be using Swift Smash as much given you didn't take SLC-Techter though, which was a mistake on your part, just imo.

Yup. A Straga Wand +40 with a Straga Sword fused in as the 2ndary. It allows me to seamlessly swap between meleeing with the wand for elemental damage to work towards elemental downs during boss active phases, and maximizing single target damage with Calibur Streak on the weak point when it's time to go ham. I also have Twisting Zapper on there to seamlessly swap between wand melee (which cleaves in groups without using Wave Crash due to the elemental fury) to charge up PP, and do great cleave damage with TZ. I usually approach with Swift Smash due to it's homing charge trait, then convert to whichever sword PA is appropriate. If it's a "bulky" mob that isn't worth charging Calibur Streak then I will just spam Swift Smash and wand melee.

Precisely why I have asked the questions that I have. I have been pondering my choices the last couple of days and realized at the least that I would have been better off with a different choice here and there.

@FoolsArcana said in Techter questions and thoughts:

I don't use the wand as Te/Fo. I also didn't take Reverse bounty.

Considered Reverse Bounty removal. With Shifta/Deband being a single non-casting button, it's easy enough to keep it up without having to worry about refreshing it on revived allies. Will probably strike that from the list. Interesting read on your Talis/Rod combo. I ignored Rod entirely since I am melee range most times and resort to mostly Talis/Techs when I can't. I rarely use Zonde techs except for the UQ bosses that are weak to it. Wouldn't mind seeing more use out of them at some point.

@Zipzo said in Techter questions and thoughts:

I main a TE/HU at lvl20, also played TE since it was introduced in JP PSO2 during launch year.

Te/Hu was my jam on Global until Te/Et was a thing. I had 20 characters that were all Te/Hu at one point. I played tanky. It was my first choice when NGS hit, but I have wand smashing too ingrained into my head to break myself out of the habit. The fact is I have always liked the way wands played, and support suits me.

Weak Element Amp is trash because you don't really need PBs for basic mob clearing, and it is a 10 point skill. PBs are mostly useful on boss-type mobs during down periods. Awake Aile gives the same bonus with half the point expenditure in those exact circumstances, and as such, any point in to either should go to AA first. You don't have enough to max both if you want your TE tree to not be garbage so go with AA first and one point in WEA is OK because the first point is a significant boost compared to the next 9.

A fact I started noticing a few days ago once I really started looking at my skills past the "THIS SOUNDS GOOD LETS DO IT" that I foolishly did.

You absolutely should not have skipped Slow-landing Charge Techer, it makes Swift Smash way more useable and viable as a main DPS ability because you can go from mob to mob more fluently without ground obstruction, and it makes spamming SS on boss weak points actually sensible if their weak point isn't literally on the ground level. Especially since instead of putting 1 point there, you instead used it for a tiny extra % of PB meter off elemental damage which, as we covered in the first paragraph, is trash compared to AA anyway.

Yeah, been thinking about that one mighty hard the last two days and how I was a dummy for not getting it.

The rest is pretty obvious and you didn't fall in to any of the bold-faced trap skills, like talis skills or wand revoke.

HA HA NOPE SURE DIDN'T pushes Force tree under rug

At one point I thought I had a good reason to get Talis Bloom Revoke on the Force tree. I had unspent points because of how I was playing and put one in there. Ya know, instead of doing something simple like quick-swapping to my wand to cancel the bloom. Ha. Ha. Yeah.

Hunter. Mostly because it was my go-to in classic since Techter's launch, but I've tapped a pretty good playstyle with it. I like the whole "Paladin" style of melee while casting support, with only a minor emphasis on spells.

I get that all the way. This time around, though, since Te/Fo isn't basically a completely garbage combination, I wanted to try and utilize my techs more in conjunction with melee.

I ignore Wave Crash entirely because it's a dogwater PA that is half as effective as almost any other weapon's "AOE" option.

Tough question, because I think both are pretty mediocre for weak point/down options. However, since you play a TE/FO and thus your only alternatives are Techs which, at this point in the game, are the worst source of DPS in the game, the testing that I've done shows SS to be very much superior, even if you're charging to full each cast, and you don't risk so much whiffing or awkward repositioning due to the nature of how Wave Crash moves you around nonsensically thanks to the hammer animation. I can see how you wouldn't be using Swift Smash as much given you didn't take SLC-Techter though, which was a mistake on your part, just imo.

Yeah, Wave Crash is definitely noticeably subpar at best. Another reason why I brought it up, because my bad-at-math-and-numbers brain couldn't quite make it a completely terrible option compared to Swift Smash, even though I guess I instinctively knew since I had the sense to ask. And yeah, agreed on the slow landing charge.

Yup. A Straga Wand +40 with a Straga Sword fused in as the 2ndary. It allows me to seamlessly swap between meleeing with the wand for elemental damage to work towards elemental downs during boss active phases, and maximizing single target damage with Calibur Streak on the weak point when it's time to go ham. I also have Twisting Zapper on there to seamlessly swap between wand melee (which cleaves in groups without using Wave Crash due to the elemental fury) to charge up PP, and do great cleave damage with TZ. I usually approach with Swift Smash due to it's homing charge trait, then convert to whichever sword PA is appropriate. If it's a "bulky" mob that isn't worth charging Calibur Streak then I will just spam Swift Smash and wand melee.

I may have to reconsider my stance on multi-weapons if for no other reason than the grinding / augmenting of multiple weapons. Perhaps when the next rank of rares comes out I will make that change and adjust as necessary.

Things to ponder and consider all around, so far. Skill choices. Weapon choices. Subclass and play style choices.

I feel weak as a Techter, sometimes. Another reason why I was going over this. I wonder if I should ditch Force subclass for something else, or if I should stick to my wand smashing tech throwing ways and just work on refining them. That's my first instinct. I'll stick with it for now and work on it some more. I'm rambling. Time to wrap it up.

What I have learned so far:

I need to make a couple of tweaks to my skill trees.

I need to reconsider multi-weapons.

I should probably take another look at Rods, just to be safe.

I should take another look at Force as a subclass.

Rambling. Right.

I went battle bard with zonde and barta buff. No resta force atm :<

@Furious-0 Yeah everyone is gonna have their own subclass preference. Initially I was thinking of going Gunner honestly just to switch it up, and I might still do that because, I like the AOE move on Gunners (Aimless Rain) and I think Bullet Rave is cool lookin'.

I think Techter is one of the classes that really stands to benefit from multi-wepping depending on your sub, because the Wand, while neat for elemental downs and versatile when grinding on the field, is pretty average as a single target DPS tool.

There is also the whole. Rod = Most movement while casting/normal attack animations. Talis = Half of Rod's speed while casting/Normal attack animations. And wand = Short range melee normal animations, no movement while casting techs. This doesn't apply if you charge the tech and simple strafe until you have a good moment to release the tech if you suspect an incoming attack. (Looking at you Daityl sword lasers).