Question on Ranger in NGS

So as a Ranger main coming to terms with the game play changes NGS has brought about(mostly good) I'm at a loss with coming to grips with one of the photon arts for this class. The art in question is Blaze Shot. I cannot for the life of me find any reason that this skill is viable or deserves a slot on my weapon palette. Hopefully another ranger main can give some feedback on what I'm overlooking.

My play style/palette: Normal attack, Razing Shot, Homing Darts

Weapon Action, Spread Shot, Blight Rounds

Normal attack is there for obvious reasons.

Razing Shot, while I at first was meh towards this it still stays on the palette as I'm used to using pierce ammo in Monster Hunter and works the same way.

Homing Darts, best rifle skill hands down, so deserves a slot.

Weapon Action, second best rifle skill(with class skills for it).

Spread shot, is eh, but more iframes and decent burst of dmg every 30 seconds is fine.

Blight rounds, doesn't need explaining.

So, all those skills contribute something of value(some more than others) to earn their spot on the palette. Blaze Shot though I don't get why/when you'd ever use it. It is the highest potency attack(Blaze shot=260 potency, Homing Darts=240 potency, Razing Shot=160 potency) for rifle in the game, but does the least amount of dmg.

The dodge isn't needed as the weapon action does the same thing and has a high dmg counter built into it. The fast movement isn't needed as you want to be using the weapon action dodge to be countering instead.

Also when using the charged version of Blaze Shot, the dmg is on par with the normal attack, however, in Blaze Shot's case there is rifle sway causing a large percentage of your shots to miss(meaning you're spending PP to do less dmg than your normal attack which restores PP).

So I'm at a loss trying to understand why to use this photon art. Not saying it needs buffs(maybe it does, I dunno), but as it is I can't see a reason to use it over just spamming normal attack and dodge countering with the weapon action. To me it feels like Rifle only got 2 photon arts(I would much rather have had something like Skyfire Salvo or Satellite Aim even though they are situational over Blaze Shot in it's current state).

So anybody that makes good use of Blaze Shot feel free to chime in, tell me I'm wrong a casul scrub and should unsub from the game /s. Kidding aside though, seriously, I am curious what other ranger mains think about Blaze Shot and if they found a good use for it.

I only use it when it can do the big hit (or place a mine on the ground) then revert to normal attack/rotation. And if you multi-wep with a launcher you can use the Fear Eraser faster than when switching weap. (Even better after a blight/purple blight round).

@ShinoKoba I think you're thinking of the weapon action(where you shoot the grenade or place the mine) which I agree is good and I do use that.

My question/confusion was in regards to the photon art where if you tap it you dodge and do a pitifully weak shot(like 5 dmg more than a normal attack) or if you charge it you hover and spray bullets all over the place(1/3 of which miss what you're locked onto) and does roughly the same damage as the normal attack does(on the shots that actually do connect).

Should have also probably stated in my original post I don't use a launcher(I know, I know, I'm a casual scrub, but I never liked launcher's play style and prefer carrying a rifle and a melee weapon off a sub-class).

As of right now, there are no class templates in NGS, my main character is a Ranger/Force with rifle/rod and launcher/talis multi-weapons, and I do use those based on the situation.

The rifle/rod is my primary weapon with Normal Attack (rifle), Blaze Shot, and rifle WA on the front pallet with Normal Attack (rifle), Foie/Barta/Zonde, and rod WA on the back pallet.

The launcher/talis is my my secondary weapon and is used at the right opportunities by having Normal Attack (talis), Fear Eraser, and launcher WA on the front pallet, with Normal Attack (talis), Gifoie/Gibarta/Gizonde, and talis WA on the back pallet. One of my favorite things with this is to use the talis WA followed by the launcher WA, and fire Fear Eraser for twice as long, when a boss is downed.

On both weapons I set the tech based on the target's weakness, even in mid battle, and I try to stay in motion as much as possible to actively dodge incoming attacks. Obviously I have Blight Rounds and use it to make extra weak points, and I hit Spread-shot as needed when its charged.

Enough on my play-style, I say go for what works for you since NGS has more class combo freedom than PSO2, plus the multi-weapon system expands on that depending on the weapon series you get.

@LazerRay I get there's no real templates for the classes yet(I actually prefer this to be honest). I was just looking for input on Blaze Shot specifically. I didn't think about multi-weapons to be honest and I could see it being used that way(to have a dodge move without using ranger's class skills to make their weapon action a better dodge). So in your case it is a useful photon art I would assume. Just kinda feels bad as I have no real reason to use it since I use the weapon action for counters to dodge I guess. Is not all bad though since it lets me just put the class skills(spread shot/blight rounds) onto the weapon palette itself instead(never liked having to L3 attack based skills anyways).

Back on base pso2 I was a ranger(main)/braver(sub), and I really liked that play style, rifle for range, katana for quick movement/melee(wasn't optimal but made for a nice change of play style so I didn't get bored). Can't do that setup currently in NGS again yet, so just settled on hunter for the dmg res in the meantime. I did like knuckles on fighter, but the window to counter with sway is much tighter than ranger's dodge so I miss time it often(muscle memory I suppose just not being used to having to react that quickly).

But thanks you did answer the question I originally had.

@Ravness01 Personally to me, I don't use Blaze Shot because I don't particularly like the way it looks, the damage is questionable when compared to what you could be doing instead (Blight Rounds or focused Homing Darts), and your step-shot and dash-shots are easier to use without expending PP.

On the bright side because of the more evened out subclasses, hopefully you can adopt a Ranger/Braver of some sort without being shamed for missing out on damage because the game's subclasses really pushed you towards that for its more serious content.

@VanillaLucia Yeah I felt the same way in regards to its damage output(still boggles my mind how it's listed as the highest potency attack but hits for the least damage).

As for ranger/braver in regards to being a meta choice or not, honestly, I'm not the "follow the meta flavor of the month" type of person in any game I play. I play what I like then just work to adapt to content as best as my class choice allows. If my chosen class/build is so gimped I'm a detriment to a group clearing something I just wont ever run that content(this is a pretty rare occurrence I've ever had to deal with though in any game).

My philosophy is if you play what you love, you'll force yourself to get better at it/more knowledgeable about it, rather than following someone else's build/guide and doing the bare minimum and considering it enough. Having said that, I do stay aware of the meta(even if I don't play it) so I have a baseline to compare to in order to know if my own performance is good enough or needs more work.

@Ravness01 With your last point, it wasn't intended to be anything offensive but rather that hopefully in New Genesis it stays that way where subclasses provide passive bonuses and not merely damage boosts. When you have the context of the Hunter (unconditional damage, unconditional defense boost, and fatal-hit survival skills) and the rest of the other options you can weigh in on (Fighter provides very high but complicated conditional damage, Phantom provides unconditional damage, speedcasting, and critical rate/damage boosts, Etoile provides beefy defenses, safe multipliers for damage, and overall consistency, and then the Luster provides you with damage boosts, defense boosts/damage reduction, automatic Shifta/Deband, and extreme cooldown reductions provided you maintain voltage), it is unfortunate to me that you can't just go "Ranger/Braver" because you want to and rather because any other choice is ham-fisted as a detriment.

I do agree with playing with what you want and picking out your own path for your gameplay and choices and I do hope that New Genesis can drive a bit more of that into the gameplay similarly to other games doing that (Warframe and Dragon's Dogma Online being very big examples for me).

@VanillaLucia I didn't take any offense at what you said, ><, so no worries. I was just explaining the logic behind my class choice was all for base pso2.

I 100% agree with you in regards to the current state of sub-classes in NGS.

Its use is either as a gap closer (allowing you to move while still dealing a bit of damage) or as a last resort if you can't trust your party to land 100 hits on Blight Rounds.

Either way it's more of an emergency tool than anything.

@Ravness01 I definitely agree with your assessment of Blaze Shot.

It looks and feels really cool, but the damage and accuracy just aren't there. I can only assume the Devs meant it as a "run and gun" kinda thing. I gave it an honest shot while I was leveling RA and I don't know why you would use it either. The AR's other PAs and weapon action are just better in terms of damage and mobility.

Right now for RA I run a Rifle/Launcher multiweapon. Rifle for PP regen, Razing Shot and weapon action. Launcher for spending PP via Falling Impact, Fear Eraser and weapon action. If I'm mobbing I use a different PA setup that trades Razing Shot and Fear Eraser for Homing Darts and Multi Launch.

If you haven't tried an AR/Launcher multiweapon I'd encourage you to do so. The weapons complement each other really well. Being able to have access to the Rifle's basic attacks while using Launcher PAs is very nice.

Resurgir weapons have been steadily dropping in price so you could probably buy both a rifle and launcher without it being too expensive.

Yeah been using Resurgir as both AR/Launcher you can still use the bonus with just using one of your avoidance skills ...(weap action or simply avoiding ..so one gives a a counterattack and the other activates the Potential) They still complement like using fear eraser while burst is in cd .

If I understand the mechanics correctly, I sometimes use it (Blaze Shot) to help purple up blight rounds sooner. That said its usefulness still seems minor.

@LazerRay said in Question on Ranger in NGS:

As of right now, there are no class templates in NGS, my main character is a Ranger/Force with rifle/rod and launcher/talis multi-weapons, and I do use those based on the situation.

The rifle/rod is my primary weapon with Normal Attack (rifle), Blaze Shot, and rifle WA on the front pallet with Normal Attack (rifle), Foie/Barta/Zonde, and rod WA on the back pallet.

The launcher/talis is my my secondary weapon and is used at the right opportunities by having Normal Attack (talis), Fear Eraser, and launcher WA on the front pallet, with Normal Attack (talis), Gifoie/Gibarta/Gizonde, and talis WA on the back pallet. One of my favorite things with this is to use the talis WA followed by the launcher WA, and fire Fear Eraser for twice as long, when a boss is downed.

On both weapons I set the tech based on the target's weakness, even in mid battle, and I try to stay in motion as much as possible to actively dodge incoming attacks. Obviously I have Blight Rounds and use it to make extra weak points, and I hit Spread-shot as needed when its charged.

Enough on my play-style, I say go for what works for you since NGS has more class combo freedom than PSO2, plus the multi-weapon system expands on that depending on the weapon series you get.

This actually sounds pretty cool, I still havent made time to play around with Talis WA more nor Rod and technique options with appropriate sub. I really should.

One of the weapons I run a launcher/rifle combo purely for QOL applying blight rounds whilst using launcher, I was getting lazy switching to apply when solo so as its super convenient its effectively increasing my solo dps.

So thought I'd come back and update on this. After reading the comments on here I decided to make a multi-weapon and give it a go. I ended up getting a Resurgir Rifle and Launcher to do it, which kind of sucks for me because I had already made a Foursis Rifle, +40'ed it and unlocked all 4 potentials on it(wasted 5 n-ex cubes there, -.-").

For the most part I kept my weapon palette the exact same as how I had it before with one change. I dropped Razing Shot in favor of Multi-launch. Then it just magically clicked together for me. The one thing I felt gimped on my rifle was now fixed, I had a good single target skill to take down mobs(Pettas/Pettax/etc) that were slow to kill before(and I love it's auto tracking so I don't have to run around fat mobs chasing their weak spots any more, ><).

Before when my PP was full if I didn't need to Homing Dart(only one add left) and my class skills were on cool down I'd just hold down X and be like "wonder if it's gonna die before I can spread shot again/blight rounds again?" I hated that. Now I have a viable/useful move for every situation and a reason to use my PP on a single target. So thanks, for everyone that gave the recommendation to try that out, cause I had zero intention of doing that until I made this thread.

I don't regret the Foursis though. The time I spent with it having that dmg shield made me more aggressive about standing in AoE's and dodge countering them and that made me get pretty good at the timing required to do that, which translated over to the Resurgir very well to activate it's potential too. Only downside now is when I que the Nex UQ that dragon likes to bully me(last run I did on it I dodge countered around 38 of it's fireballs, lol).