Ranger, Tips & Tricks.

@TheChindian Nox is the best until the Launcher 400 badge weapon, Shooting Drive. I highly suggest using your first set of badges (assuming they are) on this weapon. +30 it. +35 is easy if you get three other shooting drives and level them to 10 and eat them into it. It's costly, to be sure, with lambda grinders. This weapon will blow you away with its DPS and set you apart from the crowds of randoms or friends you run with. Even with it at a base +0, it's ridiculously easy DPS. At 10, it's potential is for Cosmos Breaker which is wonderful, because rapid firing those babies by dash rolling does a lot of DPS, really quickly. Wipes bosses. I highly suggest this.

Guns are fun and the gunblade is a love/hate for me, but Rockets are the king of DPS. Sure, lightning forces can spike for 70k-120k a bunch of times really quick, but rockets are consistent 15-30k each shot regardless of having to not stack bullets or shots. Just pure basic sustain.

@zaffy2005

@zaffy2005 said in Ranger, Tips & Tricks.:

@xX-Shimus-Xx Honestly you've made a fairly compelling case here. I've been widely avoiding the Launcher because, in my opinion, it's slow, unwieldy, and therefore "completely useless" except as a one-punch gimmick on weak enemies. I like the literal "run and gun" approach that Rifles afford. I figure I don't have to worry about getting hit too often if I'm never in the same spot for long (although I pay for it when I do get hit. Hunter Subclass "Fury Stance" is great for the damage boost but they're not kidding when they call it a "glass cannon." Hit hard, just don't get hit back. Which..isn't always an option. Given that, stick with the Rifle because it's very mobile. Launchers are very much "all or nothing." Either you're a sitting duck spitting death, or you're on the run and 100% harmless because attacking and moving are mutually exclusive.

But, maybe I should give it a chance.

Please, do. With just triple shot and divine launcher as your spam skills, time perfect attacks and you'll notice so much DPS your head will spin. You are right in assuming they are exclusive, but any drop in dps to reposition or get behind things is quickly caught up to and surpassed by the raw dps you output. I'm not joking!

Launcher's DPS is quite slow on bossing, compared to most Rifle options anyways. Sure, Cosmos Breaker spamming is one of the higher DPS options on Launcher, but this requires:

1. The boss to be stationary for all ticks of Cosmos Breaker to land, and
  2. Ranger to be close enough to use Cosmos Breaker, which isn't going to be the case 65% of the time.

And even then, Cosmos Breaker spam has to compete against Rifle's Impact Slider/Piercing Round/Positron Blast spam, the latter being highly effective on large, stationary bosses like Elder. I'm not sure if you're neglecting Blight Rounds as well, but if you are, that's a major red flag as:

1. Blight Rounds provide a raid-wide +20% damage marker on bosses, which is a huge boon when it comes to breaking parts (read: Dark Falz Loser)
  2. Attacking spots afflicted with Blight Rounds activates Advanced Precision Hit, which arguably isn't as important on Launcher due to the ring, but it allows Rifles to greatly out-DPS Launcher due to on-demand weak spots.

Launcher completely btfos Rifle in mobbing though, just not as much since NA content is all over the place.

Assault Rifle excels at boss fighting, while Launcher will be better for pretty much everything else.

For bosses, Blight Rounds are invaluable, and Rifle also has a few PAs that can do several hits of massive damage to a single target, such as Positron Blast or Satellite Cannon.

Launcher does typically have a stronger normal attack, and is able to deal large damage to an area quickly and easily, but it will fall short of effective use of a Rifle in boss fights. While some PAs do have multiple hits, they tend to be a bit weaker and less accurate.

Plus, with Launchers, to my knowledge all of its PAs will only affect one part, unless you manually move during Flame Round or get Nova Blast in a weird spot. Rifle however has a few PAs, such as the aforementioned Positron Blast, that deal their damage with a piercing projectile, allowing multiple parts to be hit along their path, and preventing being blocked in most cases. This is useful on nearly all bosses, but in certain cases, such as Bar Lodos, it can be particularly devastating with careful aim.

That said, it does take a good deal more practice and management to use a Rifle effectively than a Launcher, so if you prefer the simplicity of Launcher combat, stick with that rather than forcing yourself to use a Rifle just to be optimal.

What's the most efficient way to grind the higher end weapons? I got the Nox AR and launcher from the Personal Shop. They way I've been grinding in the past is to use the same-name items to feed in. That's not practical now.

@xX-Shimus-Xx gave it a go today, maybe made a mistake jumping into a "Super Hard" quest right away with it even though I'm at level 63 or 64 (also had Triple Shot paired with Cosmos Breaker, not Divine because I forgot the setup you mentioned). And I only have a SIgma Bastad, not the Nox or Drive.

But all in all....I still hate Launchers. Changing targets in OTS is way too damn slow and in the time it takes me to dive, run to a safer distance, and reset into "shooting stance" I could have killed the freakin' thing already using the Nox Rifle. TPV was literally the only way to handle "rank and file" enemies. Very first time I got surrounded I was dead before I could even dive even with three AI companions (supposedly) drawing aggro.

The boss fight didn't go much better. I mean one thing I can say for Launchers, the timing is a touch faster so I can double jump and spam Perfect Attacks without falling, whereas the timing between Rifle Perfect Attacks is just slow enough that I drop a few feet between each shot. And while I was up in the air I was relatively safe, most of the boss's attacks passed under me. Still died, though, DPS was still pretty horrid, was very much a sitting duck, HAD to rely on TPV because OTS was still too slow to track the boss's movements, Cosmos Breaker is absolutely useless unless I put myself so close that it was absolutely impossible to get out of the boss's reach and thus any "combo" attack it did (which is pretty much all it did) and I was dead, or very nearly dead, so I spent most of the fight hiding and downing Trimates. Triple Shot...I seriously found myself asking what the F- it actually does because all it looked like it was doing was making me spin the launcher around and then stand there doing nothing and being unable to shoot for 5 seconds.

I absolutely cannot recommend this for a solo player. Running with a team, maybe, with a Force/Techer dedicated specifically to keeping your fragile arse alive and a Hunter spamming War Cry to pull the boss's attention away from you so you can actually do anything. But solo? Absolutely not. I would have done better with Gunblade and those things are the absolute most worthless weapons in the game.

@xX-Shimus-Xx gave it a go today, maybe made a mistake jumping into a "Super Hard" quest right away with it even though I'm at level 63 or 64 (also had Triple Shot paired with Cosmos Breaker, not Divine because I forgot the setup you mentioned). And I only have a SIgma Bastad, not the Nox or Drive.

But all in all....I still hate Launchers. Changing targets in OTS is way too damn slow and in the time it takes me to dive, run to a safer distance, and reset into "shooting stance" I could have killed the freakin' thing already using the Nox Rifle. TPV was literally the only way to handle "rank and file" enemies. Very first time I got surrounded I was dead before I could even dive even with three AI companions (supposedly) drawing aggro.

The boss fight didn't go much better. I mean one thing I can say for Launchers, the timing is a touch faster so I can double jump and spam Perfect Attacks without falling, whereas the timing between Rifle Perfect Attacks is just slow enough that I drop a few feet between each shot. And while I was up in the air I was relatively safe, most of the boss's attacks passed under me. Still died, though, DPS was still pretty horrid, was very much a sitting duck, HAD to rely on TPV because OTS was still too slow to track the boss's movements, Cosmos Breaker is absolutely useless unless I put myself so close that it was absolutely impossible to get out of the boss's reach and thus any "combo" attack it did (which is pretty much all it did) and I was dead, or very nearly dead, so I spent most of the fight hiding and downing Trimates. Triple Shot...I seriously found myself asking what the F- it actually does because all it looked like it was doing was making me spin the launcher around and then stand there doing nothing and being unable to shoot for 5 seconds.

I absolutely cannot recommend this for a solo player. Running with a team, maybe, with a Force/Techer dedicated specifically to keeping your fragile arse alive and a Hunter spamming War Cry to pull the boss's attention away from you so you can actually do anything. But solo? Absolutely not. I would have done better with Gunblade and those things are the absolute most worthless weapons in the game.

I'll break my response down. Super Hard is fine, I solo'd my entire way up through the game as a Ranger with only my launcher and nothing came close to eating me, and I was king of mobbing. I ran mostly solo because I was stupid and did not know about the full group triboost bonus, even with AI characters. I always felt the launcher was OP DPS, and I've never switched that viewpoint. I tried rifle with rounds, and it still felt honestly quite short. I tried Twin Machine Guns and Gunblades, and I found them honestly quick lacking compared to the Launcher, or even Assault Rifle. It is slow, but with the right rings (Launcher Nonweak Bonus) and Normal Attack Potency Up, it's ridiculous.

Another thing I should specify is I play Xbox One, NA. Not PC, which makes OTS aiming superior with a mouse and such. However, that being said the auto-assist in third person mode has me cleaning up every mob before needing to toggle. Things just die. And people get mad at me, because as melee they spent time running to an enemy just to find it dead. The only time I find any issue is people getting mad because I killed the boss before I broke the pieces off (Admittedly, I need to get better at timing my DPS spikes). Also, Triple Shot spins up three shots of near max potency individual spikes. At my rank, with my gear, each shot in triple shot does 20-30k DPS, flat. That's before trees are factored in.

How are you dying? Mobs of enemies? That's cosmos breaker territory. Any other time you should be in the air away from them on the ground or at least mid to max range. If they swarm you, it's ability time. If not, it's spam triple shot and watch the insane numbers fly. I fail to see how you can't avoid anything, when I'm oftentimes soloing with no help other then the -mates line of health potions and I don't even need to use them much. Even with a "Glass Cannon" build I have, I'm still sturdier than most forces or techters (which isn't saying much, but it's something).

Overall, I'm sad your experience was less than subpar, but you went into a mission on SH undergeared (I'm assuming, anyways) and not with proper tree set up or skill rings. It's going to make for a little tougher of a time, but you should still have been out'dpsing anyone else in any party you were in. If you weren't, it's probably because you're just not used to the timing of the attacks and how to roll since you're unfamiliar with it.

Though, I can't say much. I'm horrible with rifles and stuff, and I didn't like the other choices. I am biased, and I'll be the first to admit it, but there has been no content in the game I could not ace. Still on a nightly basis on Ship 2, Block 1, I take first place in mining base without even trying and just hitting my Y button for triple shot. Yeah, it's easy mode. Yeah, it's simplistic. But it's the best DPS outside a lightning force.

(And there's no way you would have done better with a gunblade. That sentence just seemed like a bit of bitterness, we all hate the gunblades. It's a thing. So do I even.)

At the end of it all, it's probably just a playstyle difference that's so wide you just don't feel comfortable, and I can get that. I can. But please do NOT not recommend something I feel can carry you through the endgame with your eyes shut. It's literally, that easy. That's the only downside. It just feels like you do less for more dps. It does get boring. But boom boom!

@xX-Shimus-Xx The only "under-geared" part is I don't have the launcher ring, and I'm using the SIgma Bastad instead of the Shooting Drive (which really shouldn't make that huge a difference doing Explorations and against cannon fodder tier enemies). I didn't spend points into either of the Launcher "bullet/shot" options since I don't have any stat points to spend just yet but if I need to rely on loading special rounds just to take on low tier automata, it''s not as good a build as it's made out to be.

I also play on Xbox but I use a controller (never been a PC gamer so having to learn an entirely new control method would just set me too far back right now).

I was following your advice on "do NOT use TPV for mobs because that only targets one at a time. You need OTS so you can drop your shots in the middle of groups." Yea, well, they move too fast for OTS to keep up with. Unless we're calling those by opposite names (TPV being auto lock-on and OTS being manual control in my glossary). That was how I got mobbed, and very quickly killed. Only had to get touched twice, and there were about 6 automata in that group: I don't know any enemy names yet other than Rappy so three of the ones that remind me of the Liger from Zoids, two of the taller mechs that pull out glowing swords when tehy get in range (one touch takes out 75% of my HP and literally anything else after that would kill me), and one that looks like a hovering trash can. Launcher is just too damn slow and in my world slow is useless. Maybe my mistake was trying to do OTS (which made it way too easy for the sword mechs to flank behind me in my blind spot) when I should have been using TPV but like I said, I was trying to follow your suggestions since you spoke so highly of the launcher doing things "your way" and TPV would have been "my way" which is what lead me to thinking Launchers are garbage in the first place.

I have a simple philosophy when it comes to choosing my approach when others tell me I should be using this, that, or the other instead of what I have: You can't DPS when you're dead.

I use the Rifle exclusively (I would love for Gunblade to actually be good but for some inexplicably reason the devs decided to make them useless). I can dive roll easily, I can strafe while actively attacking, I can use Slideburst (or Impact Slider, I keep getting those two mixed. The one where you throw yourself in a specific direction, not the one where you can only charge forward and then do this little spinning flourish) to rain down some pretty decent DPS while simultaneously taking myself out of harm's way, and Photon Blaster (or Burst or whatever, still learning names) for "burst DPS" as a well aimed shot will crack multiple hit boxes. And other than that burst shot everything can be done while actively repositioning, keeping out of range, avoiding AoEs.

Launcher can do...exactly none of that. Hit for hit and shot for shot it can do massively more damage per round than probably any other weapon in the game. But you're a sitting duck with no maneuverability, takes forever and a day to line up a new shot if you aren't relying 100% on TPV (which goes against how you said a launcher should be used) and if I remember right you said the way to use Cosmos Breaker was to basically rush the boss and "spam" this ability that takes forever to set up, forever to actually launch, and near as I can tell prevents me from firing another shot until it's done doing whatever it's going to do so I don't see how "spam" can in any way be applied to this ability. But maybe I misread something. All I know is CB is definitely NOT something that can be used at a distance and with how slow and cumbersome Launchers are I don't want anything getting that close, let alone actively putting myself close enough, to use it. Having to wait several moments just to put the launcher into position to fire is too slow for me, to be honest, and even with "dive cancelling" the reaction time on it is nowhere near that of the Rifle's evasiveness.

Heh, but like you there's a good chance I am being biased. I like to move when I want to move and only "post up" when I know I have a good (and safe) vantage point. And I like being able to still keep fighting while I'm looking for that vantage point. Launcher I would have to classify as a "pure spike DPS" weapon. You (or at least I) will spend the vast majority of the time running around doing absolutely zero damage trying to find a place to attack from where you can actually get a shot or two off before having to put the weapon away and run again.

When I said I would have done better with Gunblade, it's because I was doing practically nothing with the Launcher except getting knocked around and knocked out. Gunblade would at least allow me to move around and take potshots here and there, and while it would probably take an extra hour or so to complete the run I probably wouldn't have died, either, so I might still have managed to get an S Rank completion.

For UQs with literally just shy of a dozen other players running around drawing aggro AWAY from you 99% of the time, yea, it's "easy mode" because you're left alone to take all the time you need to set everything up and once your'e set up you're left relatively undisturbed the whole time. I don't see how you got any use out of the Launcher in pretty much any other activity unless you were grinding the lowest difficulties until you were level 70 before attempting Super Hard or even Hard mode. I was at level 63 going into a SH quest recommended for 63. Nothing was dropping as easily as you say it should so no, I cant recommend this build. At least not until I have a better understanding of why it doesn't work.

(...) and near as I can tell prevents me from firing another shot until it's done doing whatever it's going to do so I don't see how "spam" can in any way be applied to this ability. But maybe I misread something.

You'll need to dive roll during the firing animation to spam Cosmos Breaker. Here's a video that highlights some of Cosmos Breaker's strengths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x8GcmyIaEU

But yeah, Launcher's clunkiness is a demerit, which is why you should stay away from enemies and make full use of your projectiles. You'll need to learn how to abuse Super Armor on Launcher's PAs to fend off threats, or kite/double dive roll away from them.

@xX-Shimus-Xx said in Ranger, Tips & Tricks.:

I always felt the launcher was OP DPS, and I've never switched that viewpoint. I tried rifle with rounds, and it still felt honestly quite short.

To say that Launcher is OP DPS is misleading without context; you should do a damage test comparison on Training Dummy Rockbear with Elder Rifle (or Yasminokov 9V/Astral Riser with Enchanted Rounds) spamming only Impact Slider, vs Shooting Drive Cosmos Breaker spam. Keep in mind that current NA content isn't balanced with 13* weapons in mind, and thus Rifle&Launcher usage will be highly skewered than current endgame in JP.

Not to say that you shouldn't play what you want, but suggesting others to follow personal playstyles without explaining pros & cons of doing so is questionable.

@xX-Shimus-Xx The only "under-geared" part is I don't have the launcher ring, and I'm using the SIgma Bastad instead of the Shooting Drive (which really shouldn't make that huge a difference doing Explorations and against cannon fodder tier enemies). I didn't spend points into either of the Launcher "bullet/shot" options since I don't have any stat points to spend just yet but if I need to rely on loading special rounds just to take on low tier automata, it''s not as good a build as it's made out to be.

I also play on Xbox but I use a controller (never been a PC gamer so having to learn an entirely new control method would just set me too far back right now).

I was following your advice on "do NOT use TPV for mobs because that only targets one at a time. You need OTS so you can drop your shots in the middle of groups." Yea, well, they move too fast for OTS to keep up with. Unless we're calling those by opposite names (TPV being auto lock-on and OTS being manual control in my glossary). That was how I got mobbed, and very quickly killed. Only had to get touched twice, and there were about 6 automata in that group: I don't know any enemy names yet other than Rappy so three of the ones that remind me of the Liger from Zoids, two of the taller mechs that pull out glowing swords when tehy get in range (one touch takes out 75% of my HP and literally anything else after that would kill me), and one that looks like a hovering trash can. Launcher is just too damn slow and in my world slow is useless. Maybe my mistake was trying to do OTS (which made it way too easy for the sword mechs to flank behind me in my blind spot) when I should have been using TPV but like I said, I was trying to follow your suggestions since you spoke so highly of the launcher doing things "your way" and TPV would have been "my way" which is what lead me to thinking Launchers are garbage in the first place.

I have a simple philosophy when it comes to choosing my approach when others tell me I should be using this, that, or the other instead of what I have: You can't DPS when you're dead.

I use the Rifle exclusively (I would love for Gunblade to actually be good but for some inexplicably reason the devs decided to make them useless). I can dive roll easily, I can strafe while actively attacking, I can use Slideburst (or Impact Slider, I keep getting those two mixed. The one where you throw yourself in a specific direction, not the one where you can only charge forward and then do this little spinning flourish) to rain down some pretty decent DPS while simultaneously taking myself out of harm's way, and Photon Blaster (or Burst or whatever, still learning names) for "burst DPS" as a well aimed shot will crack multiple hit boxes. And other than that burst shot everything can be done while actively repositioning, keeping out of range, avoiding AoEs.

Launcher can do...exactly none of that. Hit for hit and shot for shot it can do massively more damage per round than probably any other weapon in the game. But you're a sitting duck with no maneuverability, takes forever and a day to line up a new shot if you aren't relying 100% on TPV (which goes against how you said a launcher should be used) and if I remember right you said the way to use Cosmos Breaker was to basically rush the boss and "spam" this ability that takes forever to set up, forever to actually launch, and near as I can tell prevents me from firing another shot until it's done doing whatever it's going to do so I don't see how "spam" can in any way be applied to this ability. But maybe I misread something. All I know is CB is definitely NOT something that can be used at a distance and with how slow and cumbersome Launchers are I don't want anything getting that close, let alone actively putting myself close enough, to use it. Having to wait several moments just to put the launcher into position to fire is too slow for me, to be honest, and even with "dive cancelling" the reaction time on it is nowhere near that of the Rifle's evasiveness.

Heh, but like you there's a good chance I am being biased. I like to move when I want to move and only "post up" when I know I have a good (and safe) vantage point. And I like being able to still keep fighting while I'm looking for that vantage point. Launcher I would have to classify as a "pure spike DPS" weapon. You (or at least I) will spend the vast majority of the time running around doing absolutely zero damage trying to find a place to attack from where you can actually get a shot or two off before having to put the weapon away and run again.

When I said I would have done better with Gunblade, it's because I was doing practically nothing with the Launcher except getting knocked around and knocked out. Gunblade would at least allow me to move around and take potshots here and there, and while it would probably take an extra hour or so to complete the run I probably wouldn't have died, either, so I might still have managed to get an S Rank completion.

For UQs with literally just shy of a dozen other players running around drawing aggro AWAY from you 99% of the time, yea, it's "easy mode" because you're left alone to take all the time you need to set everything up and once your'e set up you're left relatively undisturbed the whole time. I don't see how you got any use out of the Launcher in pretty much any other activity unless you were grinding the lowest difficulties until you were level 70 before attempting Super Hard or even Hard mode. I was at level 63 going into a SH quest recommended for 63. Nothing was dropping as easily as you say it should so no, I cant recommend this build. At least not until I have a better understanding of why it doesn't work.

1. I never used the bastad, and to be true do I do not know of the DPS it does to be sure. There is no way a launcher with the right tree wont as you suggest it, dps an automata. I have a hard time understanding how its just plain unwieldy for ya. Sure you run slow but the activations aren't really that bad. Maybe because you're just used to being mobile? It's just too sharp of a playstyle change for ya.

2. I think you were confused or misunderstood me perhaps. Over the shoulder to me is aiming with the reticle. I do not do this,like, ever. Its always TPS (third person) so there really isnt a reticle and it will always grab the next enemy up. I highly suggest not doing any manual aiming on any class with a controller because you'll drop shots too easily, on anyone. Unless you're trying to get a certain boss piece, ofcourse. There's a time and place for even OTS.

3. I like that philosophy. Why I also follow the, "it cant kill or hurt you if it's already dead." Method as well. Things just vanish.

4. I just cant wrap my head around that reposting is that big of a deal (minus a boss spinning around and you're trying to break a tail, looking at YOU Apos Dorios...), and you cant stay stationary AND alive when I've not had any issues of doing so personally. and if I do. there's a potion. For less repositioning, sub fighter and use valiant stance. Even telegraphed attacks can easily be dodged with one or two rolls. And the riffraff (trash mobs) all die in 1 to 2 shots, shouldn't be getting done in by anything less than a boss like ever.

5. Dodge roll away the timers on anything timed. This allows you to fire off four quick CBS and then duck back to proper them with autos and timed rings. Again, this is personal preference admittedly. Launcher can do more than most give it credit for.

6. I admit I reposition a bit but it's nowhere near the downtime you're appearing to think it is. It might only be three seconds here or there, and raw dps after reposting makes you start up virtually where you left off with an almost unnoticeable drop in dps.

7. Gunblades just stink. Every other weapons out dps them lol. Show me one high quality gunblader and I'll say his or her talent is better used on a different class. Again, personal preference I guess and bias.

8. People have a very hard time yanking aggro off me even with taunts in SHUQS. the raw dps makes then hate you far more than a taunt, and generally I just find the highest obstacle to jump off of and then double jump above that. This keeps you well and clear to dps without reposition most fights. I did SH since it unlocked and had not one issue. Even at level 60-65 I was +50SHAQS with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Again, the disparity in our playsets may be the difference makers, I dont quite know. I've had nothing but love for these things since level 1.

All being said, I would like to see a clip of you using the launcher and maybe I could possibly help out with suggestions about how time things appropriately. The same could be said of your rifle which I dislike. Maybe I just used it wrong and maybe its secretly quite strong. But I've never seen a rifle ranger in the top of any dps parses yet. I am not saying it can't happen. Just I've never personally seen it. I would like it to be true, that ranger isn't a one trick pony, stuck to my launcher. But alas, all personal evidence points to launcher as the way for me, at the current state of NA. Not to say it doesn't get worse or nerfed down the line, but for now even my lightning force friend barely outdoes me.

@Nope said in Ranger, Tips & Tricks.:

(...) and near as I can tell prevents me from firing another shot until it's done doing whatever it's going to do so I don't see how "spam" can in any way be applied to this ability. But maybe I misread something.

You'll need to dive roll during the firing animation to spam Cosmos Breaker. Here's a video that highlights some of Cosmos Breaker's strengths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x8GcmyIaEU

But yeah, Launcher's clunkiness is a demerit, which is why you should stay away from enemies and make full use of your projectiles. You'll need to learn how to abuse Super Armor on Launcher's PAs to fend off threats, or kite/double dive roll away from them.

I always felt the launcher was OP DPS, and I've never switched that viewpoint. I tried rifle with rounds, and it still felt honestly quite short.

To say that Launcher is OP DPS is misleading without context; you should do a damage test comparison on Training Dummy Rockbear with Elder Rifle (or Yasminokov 9V/Astral Riser with Enchanted Rounds) spamming only Impact Slider, vs Shooting Drive Cosmos Breaker spam. Keep in mind that current NA content isn't balanced with 13* weapons in mind, and thus Rifle&Launcher usage will be highly skewered than current endgame in JP.

Not to say that you shouldn't play what you want, but suggesting others to follow personal playstyles without explaining pros & cons of doing so is questionable.

I believe back a page here I gave plenty of context as to how I personally play. What other context is needed? My parses on dps vs training dummies? How to run, or jump this way, or dodging? I figured if you're smart enough to sign up for a forum and post a class specific ideas, you already know your character fairly well. Context on battling? I could tell you how I do things all day long and how to perform them buts its counter productive because styles will clash . Everyone plays a bit differently, so maybe this is why I find the launcher to be this way?

But I'm not all "Launcher is the only good weapon." - but for ranger it deffo seems the top tier. As lightning is currently for force. The only other people who give me a run for my money is like summoners. And I think I said that too. This is more in interest, not in hostility so please dont take it that way.

I understand we are in a weird state, because I believe on JP (when I played back then) that the weaponry was only up to Red8*? At this point in the chapters? That would have made this build probably not 75% as effective and as such probably might have lagged behind. But I've never experienced this, because I played only a limited time on JP before the first wave of American ip bans. Then I found out this was coming to NA and I fangirled a bit. Ngl.

@xX-Shimus-Xx It could come down to relativity. 60MPH is extremely fast if your usual mode of transportation is a bicycle. That same 60MPH is a snail's pace if you're used to driving Formula 1 cars. In just about any combat-based game I play I favor speed second only to range (the longer the better). So yea, relatively speaking the Launcher isn't even a quarter as mobile as a Force having to stop to launch every charged up Tech. As a Rifle Ranger I only HAVE to stop moving in two scenarios: to get back up after launching myself 2-3 times the distance of a normal roll with Slideburst, or to charge up and fire Positron Blast (that was the name I was looking for all this time. Actually have the game on so I can look it up). If I'm feeling particularly secure in my location I might pull up the back palette and charge up a Homing Volley but otherwise I almost never stop moving, especially during boss fights. If I out-level adds enough I might just stand there and gun them down one at a time and use Slideburst to juke if they get too close (which has the added benefit of immediately spraying into other targets if the first one dies or gets out of range). If and when I actually remember they're there I might toss a Gravity Bomb (makes lining up adds for Positron to clean up much easier) or a Stun Grenade (although I can't say those do much in my estimation but I may have too high of expectations) but the vast majority of the time I don't even think to use them, and pretty much never use my Blight or Bind rounds unless I'm fighting a particularly difficult boss (SH or higher) or an UQ boss. Haven't really felt I needed them any other time.

It sounds to me like your style is to run like hell the minute adds pop up and then inch just close enough for TPV's autolock to catch the nearest one so they hardly ever have their attention on you. I was taking one dive roll backwards, hoping the 3 AI would handle the closest stuff, and unloading as fast as the oversized potato popper could fire. Which wasn't fast enough as I was still constantly getting swarmed and spent far too much time trying to dodge, maybe squeeze off one round before having to spend another 15-20 seconds rolling around like a drunkard.

But perhaps my biggest mistake was thinking you had recommended going all-in on OTS. I could have sworn you said not to use TPV because hitting one target wasn't as effective as trying to drop a round between several and letting the blast radius do the work but must have only thought that. Maybe I got it from a YouTube video and was just combining the two in my head.

At any rate I'd probably still have to say Launcher isn't for me. In most scenarios it's just too unwieldy. I'mi not the "Heavy Weapons Guy." I'm more the scout/sniper type. And honestly it bugs the heck out of me that Bows seem to trump Rifles in effective distance. Rifles certainly do better close to mid range than Bows (Dive Roll being a much better evasive move than Dodge) but still, why can I "snipe" with a stick and string but not a high-powered, high-caliber firearm? Makes no sense to me.

I believe back a page here I gave plenty of context as to how I personally play. What other context is needed? My parses on dps vs training dummies? How to run, or jump this way, or dodging? I figured if you're smart enough to sign up for a forum and post a class specific ideas, you already know your character fairly well. Context on battling? I could tell you how I do things all day long and how to perform them buts its counter productive because styles will clash . Everyone plays a bit differently, so maybe this is why I find the launcher to be this way?

Yes, I'd like to see your numbers on the Training Dummy. Claiming something along the lines of "Launcher is high DPS on bosses" but not show it alongside with Rifle's numbers would give the impression that Launcher triumphs Rifle 100% of the time, which isn't true. Launcher can have high bossing DPS, but this is against smaller bosses where Rifle has issues hitting both targets.