[PC - Steam] Rare, random crashes

Following the June 23rd update myself and a number of people that I know play on PC are experiencing instances where the game stops responding and does not recover, requiring the game to be force closed. This seems to happen once or twice a day for each of us, and all of our hardware is different. I personally haven't observered a specific action or item that is causing this. This was not happening to any of us before the update on June 23rd.

For convenience, I have included the first bit of my dxdiag log below. Anyone else having this issue could also compare to see if they have any similarities to my setup.

System Information

Time of this report: 6/26/2021, 22:50:53
         Machine name: MOOFEY-BEAST
           Machine Id: {CC6F971E-AC41-4387-A394-E5E8F7908032}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
         System Model: MS-7C71
                 BIOS: 1.70 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz (16 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 32688MB RAM
            Page File: 31679MB used, 7481MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8 DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes

Display Tab 1: No problems found.
  Display Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 5: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 6: No problems found.
      Input Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail) DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail) DirectInput: 0/5 (retail) DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail) DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail) DirectSound: 0/5 (retail) DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
       Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
        DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
     Device Type: Full Device (POST)
      Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2484&SUBSYS_37513842&REV_A1
   Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 

Device Problem Code: No Problem Driver Problem Code: Unknown Display Memory: 24386 MB Dedicated Memory: 8043 MB Shared Memory: 16343 MB

same issue with crashing for me

Also experiencing this same issue.

I'm having the same issues with random crashing (also using the Steam client), but it's sort of been on and off since the game launched.

The first few times happened during the opening story line, just as I made it to the city, was told about mags and was sent to the fountain area to trigger another cutscene. Crashed there twice, disconnected once, and each time I had to restart a bit further back in the story, just after waking up outside of the ruined village.

I've already reported the crashes mentioned above, and can understand that the launch server lag likely contributed to the problems at the time.

It seems lately though that it's been happening much more than usual. Just last night I crashed three times, twice with the game just freezing and Windows prompting me to close it, and once with the game just stopping and closing itself.

I also can't really pinpoint the supposed issue, unfortunately, due to just how random it seems. All I can really confirm is that I was in Central Aelio on ship 1, not far from the city, and I'm certain at least two of the times I was running when it occurred, either playing my level 20 Force or level 16 Gunner. No noticeable lag to speak of.

I checked my game logs but I'm unable to find any sort of beneficial crash log of any kind.

Posting my specs as well in the off-hand event they'll be found beneficial (I'm running the game in the recommended settings, which were also verified by the official NGS benchmark tool):

• Language: English (Regional setting: English)

• System Manufacturer: MSI

• System Model: MSI-7917

• BIOS: v1.12

• CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz, Haswell 22nm Technology (4 CPUs) ~3.5 GHz

• GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA)

• DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

• Device Type: Full Display Device

• RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz

• HDD: 2 TB 'WD Black' 7200 RPM (SATA-III 6.0Gb/s)

• DirectX 12

• No problems found in any DxDiag notes.

Same issue still happening after maintenance. I'm starting to fear that Sega isn't going to address this. I'm really starting to lose interest in this game because of the constant crashes. This is literarily the only game I have that does this.

alt text

Just an update since people are still posting in here:

After catching up on updates with Win10 (including upgrading from 2004 to 21H1) I found that I haven't had an issue with the game crashing since then. Since my fix included upgrading to 21H1 my suggestion would be if you're still on an earlier version of Windows 10 (2004, 2011, etc..) to upgrade, and then update it.

Thanks for the update.

However, for me the game still crashes and I am on 21H1.

Interesting. I don't have crashes on my game that often. I've only crashed maybe 2 times, but that's bc of the bug with the current scratch ticket that has already been announced. It doesn't crash otherwise, so idk what's going on that's making you crash a lot.

@Moofey said in [PC - Steam] Rare, random crashes:

After catching up on updates with Win10 (including upgrading from 2004 to 21H1) I found that I haven't had an issue with the game crashing since then. Since my fix included upgrading to 21H1 my suggestion would be if you're still on an earlier version of Windows 10 (2004, 2011, etc..) to upgrade, and then update it.

@Moofey Apologies for reviving a week-old topic, but has this still been your experience? I updated to version 21H1 and for about two days it seemed as though the crashing had stopped entirely. It's back to occurring at least once per play session though.

@XxNaHtExX said in [PC - Steam] Rare, random crashes:

@Moofey said in [PC - Steam] Rare, random crashes:

@Moofey Apologies for reviving a week-old topic, but has this still been your experience? I updated to version 21H1 and for about two days it seemed as though the crashing had stopped entirely. It's back to occurring at least once per play session though.

Yeah, it stopped mainly after I upgraded to 21H1, and brought it up-to-date. Additionally, I added every single folder in my game folder as an exception in my antivirus just in case.

I've been having this issue since the braver update released. Something got screwed up during that update because I used to never have this issue until that update dropped. The issue mainly only happened if I were to be in a populated block and in the city but it has also happened on occasional instances outside the city which would seemingly happen whenever a gigantix was around which I would assume to be correlated to the specific instance having a lot of players. I've sent a ticket and a crash log to SEGA already and they have already said they were going to look into it, but a couple weeks later I still seem to be having the issue. I have actually upgraded my RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB recently and it seems to have caused the issue to happen much less often (I can AFK in the city when it's populated for many hours now and still be fine), but still happens. It mostly only happens now when I'm tabbed out of the game for awhile and using chrome to browse things when before my RAM upgrade it could happen merely moments after I would switch to discord for a few seconds. This leads me to believe that this might be due to a memory leaking issue that got introduced since the braver update which is causing the crashes. I hope SEGA eventually fixes this because it's a very annoying bug and caused me to actively avoid the city because of this as it prevents me from socializing with the regulars in my blocks and generally having to forcefully close the game constantly and having to take 3 minutes to log in each time is just not fun to do.

@Sonichackedyou Yes, this seems to be an ongoing problem with parties. I know people that have issues with their client crashing but it's hard to tell of it's all related.

@Sonichackedyou said in [PC - Steam] Rare, random crashes:

I've been having this issue since the braver update released. Something got screwed up during that update because I used to never have this issue until that update dropped. The issue mainly only happened if I were to be in a populated block and in the city but it has also happened on occasional instances outside the city which would seemingly happen whenever a gigantix was around which I would assume to be correlated to the specific instance having a lot of players. I've sent a ticket and a crash log to SEGA already and they have already said they were going to look into it, but a couple weeks later I still seem to be having the issue. I have actually upgraded my RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB recently and it seems to have caused the issue to happen much less often (I can AFK in the city when it's populated for many hours now and still be fine), but still happens. It mostly only happens now when I'm tabbed out of the game for awhile and using chrome to browse things when before my RAM upgrade it could happen merely moments after I would switch to discord for a few seconds. This leads me to believe that this might be due to a memory leaking issue that got introduced since the braver update which is causing the crashes. I hope SEGA eventually fixes this because it's a very annoying bug and caused me to actively avoid the city because of this as it prevents me from socializing with the regulars in my blocks and generally having to forcefully close the game constantly and having to take 3 minutes to log in each time is just not fun to do.

Didi you fix yours? I dropped the game as I can't even play for even half an hour and I nearly blamed my machine. Must be affecting only a small number of people that it seems to be ignored at the moment. Game also now tanking a bit in performance compared to earlier versions of this, like I am playing on a different but weaker machine.