Black screen and game crashes

Often, during combat, my screen turns black with audio still playing in the background, followed by a game crash.

The Windows event viewer, states that the: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I've installed all my windows 10 updates and have updated my Nvidia Driver to the latest version.

This issue is only happening in PSO2 NGS and no other games on my system.

Has anyone else encountered this and found any fix?

I have a feeling that I might be able to offer something on this. Several questions:

1. What version of Windows 10 are you using?
  2. What motherboard are you using?
  3. What CPU are you using?
  4. What graphics card are you using?
  5. Have you applied an overclock anywhere?

@Rei-Murasame Here are my specs:

• Motherboard : Gigabyte Z370P D3

• CPU: Intel i7 8700k

• GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC

• Ram: 16 GB

• Windows 10 Professional

No overclocking applied.

@Spydominator I need the exact Windows 10 version number, the one that you would get when going to windows search and typing WINVER.

@Rei-Murasame said in Black screen and game crashes:

@Spydominator I need the exact Windows 10 version number, the one that you would get when going to windows search and typing WINVER.

It's Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043. 1052)

@Spydominator Okay, and can you tell me what the version of the Nvidia driver you have is? Easily visible by going to Nvidia control panel and hitting the 'Home' icon.

@Spydominator Okay, and can you tell me what the version of the Nvidia driver you have is? Easily visible by going to Nvidia control panel and hitting the 'Home' icon.

It's at version 471.11.

@Spydominator Okay, I just had to check that.

My next questions may sound weird, but I'm just trying to get full picture before I start suggesting anything to try. What you're experiencing by the way is called a 'TDR' which stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery, a Windows feature which prevents system freezes and pre-emptively restores you to a useable desktop if it is believed that something is going to cause the system to freeze.

When a TDR happens, there is generally a list of possible causes, but it takes some time to narrow it down once I can understand the environment.

So my next question is, are you running any of the monitoring software or RGB configuration software that Gigabyte bundles with their motherboards in the background?

@Spydominator Okay, I just had to check that.

My next questions may sound weird, but I'm just trying to get full picture before I start suggesting anything to try. What you're experiencing by the way is called a 'TDR' which stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery, a Windows feature which prevents system freezes and pre-emptively restores you to a useable desktop if it is believed that something is going to cause the system to freeze.

When a TDR happens, there is generally a list of possible causes, but it takes some time to narrow it down once I can understand the environment.

So my next question is, are you running any of the monitoring software or RGB configuration software that Gigabyte bundles with their motherboards in the background?

Thanks for looking into this. What I can clearly say is that I'm not running any monitoring software, but I have changed my monitor recently to a 144hz refresh rate version, with Nvidia G-Sync enabled.

@Spydominator If you're trying to make PSO2:NGS use G-Sync, can you temporarily disable G-Sync (and any other driver-level overrides you might have applied), and then start up the game, and inside the game's graphics settings before login set the graphics to target '162 fps', and tell me if the same TDR event happens again?

The effect that you should get from setting it that way is that NGS will try to draw 162fps, and will present the '144 best frames' to your monitor. It will be NGS' unique kind of Vsync which is of course not as good as G-Sync in terms of latency, but I just want to see if the TDR event will still happen if the game is allowed to follow its own internal settings.

@Spydominator If you're trying to make PSO2:NGS use G-Sync, can you temporarily disable G-Sync, and then start up the game, and inside the game's graphics settings set the graphics to target '162 fps', and tell me if the same TDR event happens again?

The effect that you should get from setting it that way is that NGS will try to draw 162fps, and will present the '144 best frames' to your monitor. It will be NGS' unique kind of Vsync which is of course not as good as G-Sync in terms of latency, but I just want to see if the TDR event will still happen if the game is allowed to follow its own internal settings.

Thank you for the tip and your support so far. I'll try this first thing in the morning and let you know of the results.

No problem. If it still has a TDR event after that, then I'll bring out a more intensive list of possible fixes and we'll see how it goes.

The reason I'm not jumping straight to any attempts to fix anything, is because I basically don't want to recommend any serious changes to your system until the easiest ones had been tried already. Despite it being 2021, there are still some games that literally will just not be stable with G-Sync on.

@Rei-Murasame I have turned off G-Sync and set the fps cap to 165 within the game, but that hasn't made any difference sadly.

@Rei-Murasame I decided to revert my Nvidia driver to the previous version (466.77) and this seems to have resolved all my TDR issues.

Very unexpected to be honest, but at least that allows me to enjoy the game again. Hopefully, the next Nvidia driver update is more stable.

Thank you for your help. For now, I hope this will help someone else solve their TDR issues.

@Spydominator That was going to be my next recommendation, "let's try a driver rollback and see if that resolves it", so there we have it then.