Are we sure Aina isn't... [Spoilers for PSO2 and... maybe NGS?]

Ok. So, hear me out.

I had this silly dumb half-joking "theory" for a while that Aina is going to turn out to be Matoi's great-great-great-grand-daughter. This is based on the obvious element that she has the same hair/eye colour as young-Matoi (Prior to her getting temporarily falz'd and then thrown into the future which turned her hair white).

But also that the introduction of NGS, is a narrative reversal of PSO2; a young ARKS trainee stumbles across a stranger with amnesia, who turns out to be a great hero of ARKS past. In the first game you are the trainee, Matoi is the hero. in NGS, Aina is the trainee, and you are the amnesiac hero.

Anyway, I posited this theory jokingly to my alliance-mates, who said "But Matoi has always had silver hair hasn't she?", which got me doubting my own memory, so I went and dug around for a picture from the in-game cinematics to prove to myself as much as anything that I was right. Then it struck me...

alt text

...Aina looks less like a distant relative of Matoi's, and more like young-Matoi with an NGS makeover.

Is there bizarro-world timey-wimeyness shenanigans going on here? (Probably not, but I don't think the similarity is coincidental. Wouldn't be surprised if Aina and family are descendants)

Hope not. Like Shion and Kevin's relationship in Xenosaga, I've never bought the Matoi and MC/Persona angle in PSO2. I don't want to see her or any of the other girls return.

Nooooo! I hope this game will be a new story with no connection to the base PSO 2 story. I really disliked the character Matoi.

I personally hope that it's just some dev recycling his personal waifu design, or the resemblance is merely meant to be a trigger to restore our memory at some later point, but if it's more than that... can I have another round of amnesia, please?

Nah, Aina popped out of someone. Shes got a father in this world :3

I didn't like any of the characters in base, heck the only characters I like so far in NGS is discount Zeus cannon Luther, and Dozer.

I'd be surprised, since Matoi was made in the "devoted pure waifu" archetype and I feel like whoever wrote her wouldn't want her going off and having kids with someone else after confessing her love to the MC at the end of PSO2. And she couldn't have had kids with the MC either, because the MC can be male or female so it'd break the canon for anyone playing a female char (which is most of the player base).

Probably just a reused design. Or, we find out that they're related to her but not her direct descendants, or something.

@Akonyl I’d argue that the mc is canonically male. You know with Ash in anime being male and with the first default character you see being Ash. As far as the anime is concerned I assume SEGA gave whoever the go ahead to make the anime and it’s not like SEGA said the anime isn’t canon either. But either way I hope Aina isn’t related to Matoi.

@NotWhoUThink said in Are we sure Aina isn't... [Spoilers for PSO2 and... maybe NGS?]:

@Akonyl I’d argue that the mc is canonically male. You know with Ash in anime being male and with the first default character you see being Ash. As far as the anime is concerned I assume SEGA gave whoever the go ahead to make the anime and it’s not like SEGA said the anime isn’t canon either. But either way I hope Aina isn’t related to Matoi.

Yeah, I agree that a male MC is probably the canonical choice in the meta sense (like how Shepard in Mass Effect is), and you can have spinoffs/derivative work like the anime that just chooses Ash to be in the male MC slot, but within the game itself if I as a female char went up to someone and they said "oh yeah, remember that time you and Matoi had a kid?" it would be totally weird.

Although I guess it's also possible that they pull the card that the PSO2 MC and the NGS MC aren't actually the same person despite using the same character data. In which case, they could just say that the canon for NGS is that the PSO2 char is male Ash, and your NGS char is just someone else entirely regardless of gender. But that would feel pretty goofy too, so I hope that's not the case.

The similarities are there, but not enough.

E2D71CAE-8054-4B31-853A-8E5600E5A8B5.jpeg

12D42C9B-8D00-4515-9773-6F30232564CD.png

As for the story, we have no idea if we’re in the past or the future honestly. I even have reason to doubt that the enemy that destroyed Aelio Town isn’t Dark Falz either.

The whole planet is a mystery too. There’s tek stuff in the very landscape itself, but no one seems to question it... 🤔

@Pariah-Chan All the metal beams walls and the the building in the wetlands (with the corresponding bridges) seem to resemble mother-ship parts, not to mention the four main areas have drastically different biomes and are conveniently separated by valleys. This is one of three distinct levels of tech on the planet, with DOLLS and ARKS tech being the other two.

The world is a simulation and the likeness to existing characters is our own projection. The Dolls are obviously our minds attempt to free us from the simulation.

I thought it was a ARK: Survival Evolved type of habitat, complete with security (Dolls) for things disrupting the habitats. :3

@LazerRay said in Are we sure Aina isn't... [Spoilers for PSO2 and... maybe NGS?]:

@Pariah-Chan All the metal beams walls and the the building in the wetlands (with the corresponding bridges) seem to resemble mother-ship parts, not to mention the four main areas have drastically different biomes and are conveniently separated by valleys. This is one of three distinct levels of tech on the planet, with DOLLS and ARKS tech being the other two.

The conveniently separated biomes is a trope that needs to die if you ask me. I'm sure the DOLLS end up to be protectors of a long dead civilization of super advanced super men who died because they were super arrogant or something. You know, the usual.

@Pariah-Chan said in Are we sure Aina isn't... [Spoilers for PSO2 and... maybe NGS?]:

I thought it was a ARK: Survival Evolved type of habitat, complete with security (Dolls) for things disrupting the habitats. :3

I was pondering the same looking at the huge shield walls between biomes. The emitters that generate those barriers look more like the tech that makes up the planet's cocoons, towers and flying 'city', rather than the Halphan ARKS tech you see in Central.

The drop-pod you arrived in also has a similar vibe to it's design, which is raises a bunch more questions... I wish they'd give us something to work with, currently they're playing their cards very close to their chest narratively.