PSO2:NGS Review

@Kofi9867 said in PSO2:NGS Review:

@Pariah-Chan said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I’d love to hear a side by side comparison between PSO2 and NGS. ❤

Compared to base pso2 NGS is a godsend, especially with augments, omg I love augmenting now.

I can agree the augment system for the game is pretty good, just currently how I feel about it is there are no new weapon signature augments like in PSO2 Classic had , however the multi weapon system was a good idea. Secondly my reviews are always going to be based around first impressions since devs need feedback based on first impressions. its like saying about CDPR Cyberpunk and look how that turned out in FIRST IMPRESSIONS. that game had backlash and Playstation revoked that game like they aborted a child. same concept different situation. better to give feedback to help them improve on gameplay and features now than later.

@TTVThatOneGuy Don't compare a $60 game to one that costs no money to try.

@TTVThatOneGuy said in PSO2:NGS Review:

Secondly my reviews are always going to be based around first impressions since devs need feedback based on first impressions.

here is your error, first impressions and reviews are 2 complete different things, for a review you need to watch all the content of a finished product and PSO2 NGS is not being sold out as being a finished product

its like saying about CDPR Cyberpunk and look how that turned out in FIRST IMPRESSIONS.

again first impressions and review is a different thing also the backlash with Sony had nothing to do with the bugs in the game and instead was the return policy that CDPR pulled and didn't say anything to Sony in the first place.

I really need to see a review of base PSO2 since it’s practically finished now. XD

I think out of the two people trying to defend a unfinished game says a lot about most people who are die hard fans and just throw money into a game that doesn't get enough polish like it should. its good that current content are in fact getting fixed however currently story of the game is pretty much ALPHA phase and not being a true story since its a placer. secondly the world we are currently in is not 100 % open world you are fairly limited to certain regions. if i had to compare both games i rather lean into PSO2 more than PSO:NGS least they keep you entertained with mobs as they throw a good amount at you to get good enough rewards. personally speaking this game is still a work in progress and being a pso2 player i expect high expectation of PSO:NGS just like any other fan.

I think out of the two people trying to defend a unfinished game says a lot about most people who are die hard fans and just throw money into a game that doesn't get enough polish like it should.

I have spent under $50 on this game, so you're wrong yet again. Also I'm not so much defending the game but rather pointing out how your statements about it are inaccurate.

its good that current content are in fact getting fixed however currently story of the game is pretty much ALPHA phase and not being a true story since its a placer. secondly the world we are currently in is not 100 % open world you are fairly limited to certain regions.

Again, you're expecting way too much launch content in a free to play game. If you continue to expect free games to be "complete" at launch you will continue to be disappointed.

if i had to compare both games i rather lean into PSO2 more than PSO:NGS least they keep you entertained with mobs as they throw a good amount at you to get good enough rewards.

It's not exactly fair to compare PSO2, which has around 10 years of content, to NGS which has been out for less than a month.

personally speaking this game is still a work in progress and being a pso2 player i expect high expectation of PSO:NGS just like any other fan.

If NGS is a "work in progress", shouldn't it be expected that the content is sparse?

I think out of the two people trying to defend a unfinished game says a lot about most people who are die hard fans and just throw money into a game that doesn't get enough polish like it should.

To me this says quite a bit about the "honest review" you were mentioning earlier. If you're here to say something and end up saying "oh, well only two people took their time to come represent the diehard fans," I don't feel like you're here for an actual discussion. The best way I can summarize this is that the people who you are likely trying to get to respond to your reviews are probably busy playing the game or are busy doing other things than to be reading a review for you to start barking at people for when criticism comes up as part of the discussion.

personally speaking this game is still a work in progress and being a pso2 player i expect high expectation of PSO:NGS just like any other fan.

I can't imagine anyone who played Phantasy Star Online 2 and enjoyed it would disagree with this. The game has always been a work-in-progress and what you saw of Phantasy Star Online 2 was effectively Sega twiddling their thumbs making minimal content releases on a schedule that seemed to be every two-to-three months before something "big" would come around that would have been cleared and completed within an hour. Sega has not thought to change this process at all for New Genesis and as such if you follow the Japanese side of things New Genesis is continuing this path of slow content updates and minimal changes over time. If you wanted something more "meaty" you have Phantasy Star Online 2 or can look elsewhere and come back in months, or a year from now.

I still follow that the Japanese version originally teased New Genesis as "Not EPISODE7" so you can try to call this a new game, an expansion, an update, or anything else along those lines but I personally see it as "Not EPISODE7" simply because New Genesis is still very consistent with the Japanese version updates. Of course, for the Global side of things, this is a complete whiplash because you're going from speeding through years and years' worth of content getting them released in huge bites every month and on a bi-weekly basis. However, the global version never had anything particularly new outside of the Independence Day and Thanksgiving events and Sega's priority was still on the Japanese version of the game.

You are right to say that content is sparse, but let's not forget that Sega has done this in the past for Episode 5 (2017) and Episode 6 (2019) where new episodes launched with very little of anything new for long before they expected players to return to past (or still-relevant) content to pad the time. This model worked for them well enough that through Phantasy Star Online 2's run they haven't changed this process despite there being people who would have preferred something faster and more meaty, but that's on Sega.

Needs a lot more customization over it's UI and controls. Still has bareboned hardcoded console controls from over 10 years ago which was my first big disappointment. I really expected more to be done with it. SEGA can go ask Capcom an Monster Hunter developers how to make a console game PC friendly.

This is a full release, regardless of whatever updates come in the future. If these updates are major content releases and QOL changes, then they deserve reviews of their own. IGN didn’t review pso2 when ep6 launched, they reviewed it when the game officially was released.

OP’s review wouldn’t differ from any other review from this game because this is all NGS has to offer when it officially launched

@Xaelon said in PSO2:NGS Review:

Again, you're expecting way too much launch content in a free to play game. If you continue to expect free games to be "complete" at launch you will continue to be disappointed.

Well, you obviouly haven't played many free to play games since NGS is less than bare bones. It's so bare there's basically nothing but the marrow at this time. Now, i've been informed that sega has done this multiple times in the past but why that is supposed to make it understandable is another topic entirely.

As i said somewhere, content or lack thereof is not really a problem for me and i suppose you just don't know any better, but this is pretty much misinformation. There's obviously a difference between "complete game" and "basically nothing".

@Yggranya Just more reasons Sega shouldn't have 'released' NGS yet, but rather put it into open beta or early access so as to explicitly communicate that the game isn't complete yet.

@Xaelon Yes, but why do that when you can have your playerbase test it while you sell them some cosmetics. Savings and sales in one fell swoop!

Sure, beta or early access label would do it for the testing part anyway, but could they sell things in a beta (warframe says "yes") and would as many people have joined in if it wasn't complete (which it isn't)? No need to find out if you pretend it's ready.

100% this. A good solid foundation but nothing on it. They rushed it and it shows in all games aspect.

@Xaelon and?where was he wrong? Will the game be more in a year? For new players only.

@Xaelon yep. They need one more year of work on the game. As of now it's not a stand alone game lie they was saying but ep.7 Think how shity it is for new players that don't have all the cosmetics from base and don't have a way to get them for the most parts.