PSO2:NGS Review

Hey all. my name is Abigor a.k.a TTV/ThatOneGuy . i have been a well rounded mmo player since pso2 first launch in the US Region. i wanted to touch up a few things going on with PSO:NGS currently and help devs with minor tweaks and fixes to give us solid content for this year and future 2022. Here are my Pro's and Con's for the game thus far given some time playing and progressing through the story of PSO:NGS .

Pro's :
Beautiful design and graphics of the First planet when you are introduced from intro. Photon Burst Each class reminds me of Limit Breaks in Final Fantasy Online. Mobs look very detailed and have some cool combat animations. including the urgent quest bosses given right now. Open World MMO just like , black desert , final fantasy, ESO.

Con's:
Game been rushed through development. Lack of Quest Content. Map is not fleshed out enough to have satisfying playable moments. Mob to player ratio is very low/Not enough spawn rates for it to be sustainable through partying. Nonstop grinding in one spot with not enough Random Events/World bosses/Elites . Limited to number of classes. Limited on item enhancements/Can't transfer PSO2 classic weapons and fully enhance them to progress through. Limited in skills used in each class. not enough combat technics/Spells to use. Lack of Weapon/Enemy Variations. Drop rates for certain weapons and armor are low given said content. Overall this game will need some heavy polishing within passing of patches and major updates. Would i recommend this game ? Sadly Not in its current state.

A lot of ppl share your sentiments. It’s a beautiful game, but feels lackluster at the moment. Hopefully they make good use of the open world aspect of it. ❤

I think you should rename your 'review' to "Launch Impressions". The game hasn't been out for a month yet, and we haven't gotten a single content patch yet. I'm not sure why you're expecting a free game to be 100% complete at launch with tons of content.

@TTVThatOneGuy said in PSO2:NGS Review:

Mob to player ratio is very low/Not enough spawn rates for it to be sustainable through partying.

Did you play long enough to get a PSE burst? What zones were you grinding? The actual dedicated combat zones CONSTANTLY spawn mobs to kill.

Nonstop grinding in one spot with not enough Random Events/World bosses/Elites .

Did you not play base PSO2 much? Why did you expect NGS to be different in terms of grinding?

Limited to number of classes.

An update in august is slated to add two more classes.

Can't transfer PSO2 classic weapons and fully enhance them to progress through.

This isn't a problem. Why are you expecting to be able to use PSO2 gear to carry yourself through NGS? Think of NGS as an expansion. Do you know what MMOs like FFXIV and WoW do to your gear every expansion? They invalidate it. Anything you have from a previous expansion is nice for leveling but falls off when you hit cap, which is exactly how PSO2 gear behaves in NGS.

Drop rates for certain weapons and armor are low given said content.

The only thing that's truly hard to get in NGS are 4* items with preset skills. Normal 4* units and armor drop very often with about 1 or 2 per PSE burst loop.

I’d love to hear a side by side comparison between PSO2 and NGS. ❤

Nonstop grinding in one spot with not enough Random Events/World bosses/Elites . Limited to number of classes.

this clearly shows that this "review" was more like a first impression, every zone that PSE Burst can happen enemies, bosses and events keeps happening frequently and not always is the same boss, also is funny how people keep forgetting that MMO games are mostly focused in grinding

Well if the game isn’t much different a year down the line, that first impression still stands. Most games don’t radically change past wat you see at first, so it’s still a reliable review. 🙂

@Xaelon said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I think you should rename your 'review' to "Launch Impressions". The game hasn't been out for a month yet, and we haven't gotten a single content patch yet. I'm not sure why you're expecting a free game to be 100% complete at launch with tons of content.

Mob to player ratio is very low/Not enough spawn rates for it to be sustainable through partying.

Did you play long enough to get a PSE burst? What zones were you grinding? The actual dedicated combat zones CONSTANTLY spawn mobs to kill.

Nonstop grinding in one spot with not enough Random Events/World bosses/Elites .

Did you not play base PSO2 much? Why did you expect NGS to be different in terms of grinding?

Limited to number of classes.

An update in august is slated to add two more classes.

Can't transfer PSO2 classic weapons and fully enhance them to progress through.

This isn't a problem. Why are you expecting to be able to use PSO2 gear to carry yourself through NGS? Think of NGS as an expansion. Do you know what MMOs like FFXIV and WoW do to your gear every expansion? They invalidate it. Anything you have from a previous expansion is nice for leveling but falls off when you hit cap, which is exactly how PSO2 gear behaves in NGS.

Drop rates for certain weapons and armor are low given said content.

The only thing that's truly hard to get in NGS are 4* items with preset skills. Normal 4* units and armor drop very often with about 1 or 2 per PSE burst loop.

are you knit picking out things than have a open minded view? pretty sure you are defending a game that is getting a solid honest review. just because some players don't have the right thought process that you have doesn't mean they are wrong i think you are honestly missing the point to the post. if you care to ask questions then ask away from another players standpoint than just assume they hate the game when the key words i used were "currently would not recommend it at its current state. "

I mean I wouldn’t recommend it currently either, but some of my friends see me playing it constantly and have been trying it.

I don’t see it holding them for long. 😕

@Jamesmor said in PSO2:NGS Review:

Nonstop grinding in one spot with not enough Random Events/World bosses/Elites . Limited to number of classes.

this clearly shows that this "review" was more like a first impression, every zone that PSE Burst can happen enemies, bosses and events keeps happening frequently and not always is the same boss, also is funny how people keep forgetting that MMO games are mostly focused in grinding

i think you are missing the point. in mmo's there are many forms of grinding i am not complaining on the grind aspect just that you have a limited stock of rewards, not enough item variations to use other than cosmetic. PSO:NGS chose to enforce the cosmetics in a cash grab to appease the players more than just pumping out gameplay content. Game Quality > Game Cosmetics ......prefer a fleshed out game than a half baked one. I have been in the Labatory PSE burts all the time as thats the best place to grind out rare drops chances. if you can prove me otherwise i would like to hear your grind spots so we can compare notes. however my review was to help IMPROVE the Game not Hinder it or Sabotage it. i have been a fan of PSO2 and loved the story and urgent quests they pumped out .....my most favorite urgent quest was in fact the armada of annihilation.

are you knit picking out things than have a open minded view? pretty sure you are defending a game that is getting a solid honest review. just because some players don't have the right thought process that you have doesn't mean they are wrong i think you are honestly missing the point to the post. if you care to ask questions then ask away from another players standpoint than just assume they hate the game when the key words i used were "currently would not recommend it at its current state. "

Repeating what others already said: it is not a "solid honest review" but rather a 1st impression review. You could come up with all those shortcomings you believe exist but you cannot come up with explanations as to why they exist, I don't blame you for that it is understandable that you don't know about them. But you are also rejecting the explanations of those shortcomings that others gave. Your "opinion" is the unpopular one, aside from the lack of content. Most of the things you mentioned are already being worked on for future updates.

Besides, if the point of the post is to let sega know this, you are at the wrong place. It is a forum, meaning people have and share their opinions, yours just happens to be a quick judgement in some aspects

I agree with lack of content but disagree with most of other things you listed.

While 32 players exploration maps are indeed low mob to player, they aren't designed for you to grind in. It is the 8 player maps that you can grind with mobs constantly spawn with random trial spawns. As for limited skills/techs, I think they are actually trying to simplify it from PSO2 as there are really too much skill bloat in there - they are probably basing the new classes off the Scions. PSO2 classic weapons/units are usable right now, but I wouldn't count on them as more content comes out - there will be even less content if you don't need to grind for new gear. As for drop rate, it is pretty high if you consider most of the 4 star weapons and units are on the playershops for dirt cheap unless they have a good pre-affix.

You can't really take the NA/global launch of PSO2 as the standard content release, it is literally 8 years of work crammed into 1 year, and just launching with EP1-3 was several years of content. SEGA always had this drip feed/trickle release of content where you get a small update every few weeks rather large patches 3~6 months apart. It was how they did it for the original JP PSO2 release and seems like it is the same this time with NGS looking at the roadmap.

I too can't recommend NGS in it's current form for new players, it is nothing more than a dress up simulator at the moment - I really enjoy the character creator though

@Pariah-Chan said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I’d love to hear a side by side comparison between PSO2 and NGS. ❤

Compared to base pso2 NGS is a godsend, especially with augments, omg I love augmenting now.

@Xaelon said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I think you should rename your 'review' to "Launch Impressions". The game hasn't been out for a month yet, and we haven't gotten a single content patch yet.

I found Steam Reviews for Lost Ark Alpha.

Every Early Access=Alpha Game has Steam Reviews.Why not PSO2 NG with a full Release?

@HarmlessSyan said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I too can't recommend NGS in it's current form for new players, it is nothing more than a dress up simulator at the moment - I really enjoy the character creator though

I wouldn't even recommend it for that. If you didn't play/don't intend to play pso2, ngs fashion rn is a joke, with like what, 6 setwears per gender and no layered wear whatsoever? And they didn't even release any cast parts except for the stock ones.

are you knit picking out things than have a open minded view?

It's called "disagreeing" with you. My opinion about the game is different than yours, hense I am calling out specific points from your post and letting you know what I think. If you expect everyone on the internet to immediately accept what you have to say you're in for a rude awakening.

pretty sure you are defending a game that is getting a solid honest review.

Would you like to share how many hours you spent playing NGS to write this 'review'? What level was your character when you stopped playing?

just because some players don't have the right thought process that you have doesn't mean they are wrong i think you are honestly missing the point to the post.

If missed the point maybe you should have taken more care in writing this 'review'?

@thenameless said in PSO2:NGS Review:

I found Steam Reviews for Lost Ark Alpha.

Every Early Access=Alpha Game has Steam Reviews. Why not PSO2 NG with a full Release?

What's acceptable use of early access and what's not has certainly become quite a gray area.

But yes, maybe Sega should have released NGS into an open beta or otherwise said that the game was not complete before releasing it.