NGS: What Does Chain Boost Actually Do?

so i've been doing some testing, and i'm a bit confused with the wording of this skill and how it correlates to what really takes place during this buff window. the skill states that incremental increases in attack speed occur the larger the buff is above 50 stacks. this seems to be accurate from what i've gathered, up to a point. the skill seems to cap out at 110%, even though the maximum attack speed bonus is 120%, according to the description. anything above 80 stacks will only get you to 110% attack speed, including a full 100 stack. now TECHNICALLY this is correct, because the description never states what exactly gives us the maximum 120% attack speed increase, but because of how it's phrased it seems like it would be a full 100 stack. that's not the case, however. i've never once witnessed a 20% attack speed increase.

it should be pointed out that i've only tested this with bullet rave.

i'm wondering if anyone else has tested this and what your results were if you have. do you know what is supposed to trigger the "attack speed max increase?"

also, in the description, what does "weapon actions will change" mean?

any help would be appreciated.

The "120% Attack Speed Increase" occurs when you break the Chain at a 100-hit combo as you cannot pass it. Upon using Chain Finish (the yellow numbers) you will get Chain Boost working at its maximum effect.

S-Roll Arts (pressing the weapon action and a photon art immediately afterwards) is typically a "stronger" shot as an alternative to using Stylish Roll and shooting during it. When you perform this correctly you should be spending about 10 PP for a stronger shot. During Chain Boost, this picks up a different type of shooting property where your shots are more spread out so you can splash damage at mobs but you have relatively short range. If you have played the original Phantasy Star Online 2, it is a greatly nerfed "Another S-Roll Arts" which is still very good for mobbing but requires that you stay in the center of mobs.

In terms of you not noticing the attack speed, I use other attacks to really see the speed (using Stylish Onslaught during Chain Finish to repeatedly smash enemies because every other photon art is very slow if you're going for numerous hits) as this is the easiest attack to use to see how your timing works out if you try to attack as quickly as possible. The 20% attack speed boost is noticeable compared to the 10% boost with this attack in particular.

@VanillaLucia said in NGS: What Does Chain Boost Actually Do?:

The "120% Attack Speed Increase" occurs when you break the Chain at a 100-hit combo as you cannot pass it. Upon using Chain Finish (the yellow numbers) you will get Chain Boost working at its maximum effect.

S-Roll Arts (pressing the weapon action and a photon art immediately afterwards) is typically a "stronger" shot as an alternative to using Stylish Roll and shooting during it. When you perform this correctly you should be spending about 10 PP for a stronger shot. During Chain Boost, this picks up a different type of shooting property where your shots are more spread out so you can splash damage at mobs but you have relatively short range. If you have played the original Phantasy Star Online 2, it is a greatly nerfed "Another S-Roll Arts" which is still very good for mobbing but requires that you stay in the center of mobs.

In terms of you not noticing the attack speed, I use other attacks to really see the speed (using Stylish Onslaught during Chain Finish to repeatedly smash enemies because every other photon art is very slow if you're going for numerous hits) as this is the easiest attack to use to see how your timing works out if you try to attack as quickly as possible. The 20% attack speed boost is noticeable compared to the 10% boost with this attack in particular.

thanks so much for the response, VanillaLucia.

if the 120% attack speed is supposed to happen after consuming a 100 stack, then the ability is bugged. i've done a lot of testing and timing the animations, and at no point, on any photon art, have i received a 120% attack speed increase. to clarify the testing method, i fought Bujin, recorded the fights, slowed the replays down to 6% speed for accuracy, timed the animations and compared unbuffed animation speeds to buffed animation speeds. these are the results:

UNBUFFED

bullet rave: 3.0 seconds point blank: 1.0 seconds stylish onslaught: 0.6 seconds

BUFFED at 100 stacks

bullet rave: 2.7 seconds point blank: 0.9 seconds stylish onslaught: 0.54 seconds

these results are from 100 stacks, and as you can see are only a 10% increase. i've tested this probably 30 times for each ability, and the results are very consistent.

as i stated earlier, i've tested this not just with 100 stacks, but in the ranges of 51-80 and 81 and above. the 51-80 does seem to increase attack speed by 5%, so it is working properly from what i can tell. 81 and above is the problem.

unless i'm missing something, i think we're missing out on 10% attack speed at 100 stacks. meaning, that if this is the case, we're losing out on dps if we go above 81 stacks, because the attack speed doesn't scale in those windows (85% doesn't get you more attack speed than 81% for instance) and it's pointless to reach 100 stacks if it does the same as 81.

If that 120% speed increase isn't happening for you (it seems to be on my end), something tells me Sega has more bugs to look into considering the Gunner has a few nasty quirks (users of S4: Escalated Pursuit will prematurely break Chain Trigger when using a charged photon art making it completely useless to build a chain, being burned can also prematurely break a chain, and so on).

This video has a player using the 100-chain boost so I am curious if this looks similar to what you are doing for reference.

If that 120% speed increase isn't happening for you (it seems to be on my end), something tells me Sega has more bugs to look into considering the Gunner has a few nasty quirks (users of S4: Escalated Pursuit will prematurely break Chain Trigger when using a charged photon art making it completely useless to build a chain, being burned can also prematurely break a chain, and so on).

This video has a player using the 100-chain boost so I am curious if this looks similar to what you are doing for reference.

it does. and if you time his attacks you'll see that his speed is 0.56 seconds like i mentioned earlier. you can test this yourself. i use a stopwatch app and i put the speed of the video at 25%. at 25% playback speed, the attack takes roughly 2.25 seconds. multiply 2.25 x 25% and you'll get 0.56, 10% of 0.6 seconds, the base speed of point blank.

and this is the Japan version of the game, so it looks like this affects everyone.

*i meant stylish onslaught. my mistake.

@jWs I was told elsewhere that you have to trigger the 100-chain twice successively in order to actually obtain the 120% boost. This is likely consistent with what I experienced in terms of the attack speeds being faster - but it is annoying that it's not the first time that would proc that 120% attack speed boost.

The attack speed buffs from multiple chain finishers stack. 1 chain finish can give you a maximum of 10% attack speed, popping a 2nd chain finisher while the 1st boost is active (boost duration is 45 seconds while chain finisher cd is nearly 1 second at 100 stacks) will reset the duration of the boost and stack up another x% on top of the last 10%. The maximum the boost can stack up this way is 20% and it requires a minimum of 2 chain pops to reach

(users of S4: Escalated Pursuit will prematurely break Chain Trigger when using a charged photon art making it completely useless to build a chain, being burned can also prematurely break a chain, and so on)

I wish I had looked in this sub to know this was a thing. I knew it was a bug, but had no idea what was causing it! So freaking annoying cuz it always makes it proc at 1/2 stacks making you wait the full duration to start the next chain. Adding insult to injury to the fact that we need to keep those chains rolling to keep our 20% attack speed so when it happens you're always starting back from literal zero.