Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting

If I'm standing right in front of the opened weak spot that is only up for 7 seconds, when I press tab it shouldn't go to every other body part twice round before landing on the weak spot.

When I'm standing IN FRONT of the dragon to target the heads for the fire blast, it shouldn't target every other body part!

I'm now so fed up that on that specific UQ, I just keep my Blight Rounds on feet 100% of the time. Trying to target any other spot is a DPS loss.

And I've switched to camera view from character, it did nothing.

There is an option somewhere I remember that has the lock on system to work based on where your camera is pointing as by default it works by where your character is facing, it might help. (Its still jank to me though, but a bit better)

I am with you on the targeting system it is a little off.

hahaa yeah. I've had it happen more than once where I had the weak spot almost directly in front of me. I hit tab to target and it targets...the enemy waaaaaay behind the boss.

Hopefully they improve that system ASAP, It's gotten to the point I mostly don't use it anymore due to it doing what I stated above far too regularly.

The targeting system in this game is useless, I just rely on fancy positioning.

@Vashzaron said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

There is an option somewhere I remember that has the lock on system to work based on where your camera is pointing as by default it works by where your character is facing, it might help. (Its still jank to me though, but a bit better)

Really?? Thanks for the tip! Usually when an enemy is downed I find I have to un-lock, run in past all the arms and legs and smash my face up against the weak spot, and then lock-on again. Tabbing just seem to dance the lock around on every other body part.

In the all times I've fought the dragon, I've never been able to get the game to target that core that opens up from optimal AR range. I have to drop my target lock and run into close range and then I'm able to target it. It makes re-applying Blight Rounds to the weak point very annoying.

It feels like the game is prioritizing whatever parts are closest to you. They need to adjust it so that the system prioritizes weakpoints. If one opens up and I switch targeted points the next thing my lock snaps to should be that weakpoint.

I will have to see if I can find the option @Vashzaron mentioned. That should at least stop the game from targeting things way off behind me.

If you're on PC, the lock-on should be Z

I changed the default because I wanted easier dodge.

But somehow it automatically locks on with Z mid-combat despite the hotkey change.

Screenshot_24.jpg

I recommend using a controller 🎮 instead of the keyboard and mouse, it's much easier to lock on where you want to unless there are several enemies in your field of vision and others get in the way

I think the lock-on setup is the single worst thing about PSO2's gameplay.

It was a struggle with the fellwyrm battles, it single-handedly costs me 15-30 seconds of damage output (and more considering fighting the targeting sees me eat a few hits) against Grave/Gildina Exegul, and now it's being stubborn in the precise lock-ons needed sometimes in New Genesis.

I was hoping the setting to use the camera rather than the character's orientation would help, but even now if I've locked on to something left of the weak point I'm trying to target and flick the right analogue stick right, half the time it switches the target to something way off to the left instead. To be blunt I'm not entirely sure the setting works.

I just want to be able to lock onto the obvious glowing weak points that have often even been marked by Blight Rounds, with much-enhanced priority over armoured parts that are never either breakable or a weak point that no player who wants to do well would ever want to lock onto but which seems to have lock-on priority as some kind of subtle troll at the moment.

@Gurgles said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

@Vashzaron said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

Really?? Thanks for the tip! Usually when an enemy is downed I find I have to un-lock, run in past all the arms and legs and smash my face up against the weak spot, and then lock-on again. Tabbing just seem to dance the lock around on every other body part.

Unfortunately this is still the best solution, I find myself doing that a lot as well.

@Miraglyth said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

I was hoping the setting to use the camera rather than the character's orientation would help, but even now if I've locked on to something left of the weak point I'm trying to target and flick the right analogue stick right, half the time it switches the target to something way off to the left instead. To be blunt I'm not entirely sure the setting works.

The setting DOES work - targeting IS less bad when set to camera. The problem is that it's still really, really bad.

TBH, it almost seems like it prioritizes the lowest threat first. Dragon aside, when fighting a group of enemies it seems to target every insignificant little pest first before it will finally get to the target that's an actual threat.

@Miraglyth said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

I think the lock-on setup is the single worst thing about PSO2's gameplay.

Honestly, this is true in any game that has targeting. Only constant is that it sucks and goes out of it's way to target anything that isn't right in front of you. There shouldn't be anything automatic, least of all aiming, in an action game.

@jaykat said in Sega seriously needs to re-evaluate their tab targeting:

TBH, it almost seems like it prioritizes the lowest threat first. Dragon aside, when fighting a group of enemies it seems to target every insignificant little pest first before it will finally get to the target that's an actual threat.

This is pretty much my experience with how the camera lock "works" in this game. I've taken to slaughtering all the weak distractions first, that way the camera can't snap to them anymore. Good thing they only take a few hits to deal with.