Okay SEGA, fix this please...

Dear SEGA staff and coders:

OKAY, I realize this is a Fantasy/Neo-Fantasy MMORPG and you're entitled to bend and break laws of some IRL natural physics...

HOWEVER...

If you're going to put a RIFLE into a game, at least give it the proper range, which means line of sight. (LOS)

Effective range of most IRL rifles is well over 2 miles, 10,560 feet, I can testify to this, as I am owner of several myself.

I can't even snipe at a target at distance within visual range, of what is approximately 100 yards/300 feet in several of my tests, these rifles are more like a SHOTGUN.

If you're not going to make it have LOS range, at least call it a pistol or as I say a shotgun.

If your not going to at least follow simple rules of real life physics with the weapons in this game, why bother with anything else honestly?

Thanks for your understanding in advance...

ergh kinda of pointless to apply physics laws to bullets when the rifles in Phantasy Star shoot photons that are pretty much light and is not affected by air resistance and gravity the same way of a bullet made from solid metals.

@Trigunman Weapon range in games is always used as a balancing feature. Which is why shotguns in video games anyways have super wide spread and extremely short range as a tradeoff for having very high damage.

It wouldn't be balanced if ARs were able to hit a boss from the edge of the arena because you would have full damage output AND complete safety. See the problem?

Hmm. Not sure if really serious or not... Especially with the immersion claim... alt text

Cause the average person LOS is 3miles, so by this logic a Force and Techer should be able to nuke much farther away and get full credit.

/s Also.... yes please place obscure arbitrary real world logic in a sci-fan anime game, i mean how can a CAST designed to appear like a Dueman+Newman hybrid at 161cm with a Cross that is 150cm that shoots lasers and barrage ms of explosives function if real world physics didn't come into play... Divine Cannon need to be dropping truths!

alt text

I agree with the OP, either put these restrictions in or everyone will leave cause realism is better than scifi/fantasy.

/s

Why don't you try like an actual shooter game.

They got to balance it some what to not make melee classes obsolete.

I equipped a Rod on my Force and the game wouldn't even let me fish with it. Unbelievable.

Well..

This ah...This is not what I expected when I came into this topic. I...don't really know how to feel about this one.

The range on it is fine, since balance-wise it'd be broken if you could snipe shit from across the map (it wasn't the most engaging gameplay when you basically did that in PSO2 classic, spamming satellite cannons).

That said, it'd be nice if the shot spread were tightened up, especially for the mobility PA

edit: Also this is a game where you can be a giant, magical robot man with anime tiddies sprouting out all over your body. If you were hoping for realistic rifling physics (or did you mean something more like CoD/Battlefield?), this is the wrong game for you.

@Akonyl said in Okay SEGA, fix this please...:

I equipped a Rod on my Force and the game wouldn't even let me fish with it. Unbelievable.

I just want you to know that I appreciate this post. Officially endorsed. Seal of approval.

@Jamesmor Isn't IRL laser weapon range pretty garbage anyways due to the difficulty of keeping the beam focused? I'm a bit out of date on that front though.

@AiC-L that only applies to lasers but photons not always are lasers still I not gonna enter in too much details over it to not make a giant post over physics

@Trigunman said in Okay SEGA, fix this please...:

If you're going to put a RIFLE into a game, at least give it the proper range

I mean what do you expect from "A class geared towards medium range combat"? That being said I agree, rifle should be long range and TMGs should be mid range but you know...

You know, that's an AR we're using in game, right? What's the maximum effective range of an assault rifle? Like 400m?

If you're going to put a RIFLE into a game, at least give it the proper range, which means line of sight. (LOS)

Effective range of most IRL rifles is well over 2 miles, 10,560 feet, I can testify to this, as I am owner of several myself.

There is so much wrong with these sentences and any real firearm aficionado would no you do not own any firearms and do not realy know anything about them.

The maximum effective range of modern assault rifles is 300m to 500m (990ft) to (1650ft) with standard engagement ranges being 100m to 300m (330ft to 990ft). The maximum effective range of sub-machine guns is ~180m (~590ft) with engagement ranges being half that.

Any stories you have heard about 2 mile shots involve anti-material rifles with ammunition with special powder loads. The standard maximum effective range of the Barret M82/M107 anti-material rifle is 1830m (1.137 miles). They have been used to occasionally hit targets a longer distances but such situations are incredibly rare.

@Ryoga said in Okay SEGA, fix this please...:

If you're going to put a RIFLE into a game, at least give it the proper range

I mean what do you expect from "A class geared towards medium range combat"? That being said I agree, rifle should be long range and TMGs should be mid range but you know...

Sub Machine Guns and Pistols are actually short range weapons while Assault Rifles and Grenade Launchers are medium ranged weapons. PSO2 does a good job of compressing so that the ranges viable in gameplay.

@ultimatecalibur said in Okay SEGA, fix this please...:

There is so much wrong with these sentences and any real firearm aficionado would no you do not own any firearms and do not realy know anything about them.

The maximum effective range of modern assault rifles is 300m to 500m (990ft) to (1650ft) with standard engagement ranges being 100m to 300m (330ft to 990ft). The maximum effective range of sub-machine guns is ~180m (~590ft) with engagement ranges being half that.

Any stories you have heard about 2 mile shots involve anti-material rifles with ammunition with special powder loads. The standard maximum effective range of the Barret M82/M107 anti-material rifle is 1830m (1.137 miles). They have been used to occasionally hit targets a longer distances but such situations are incredibly rare.

OKAY, I'm going to clarify MAXIMUM and EFFECTIVE range, my choice of wording was poor and rushed.

The maximum range of an average rifle is exactly what I have said, it takes about 2 seconds of googling to find this out.

https://www.concealedcarry-ed.com/iowa/studyGuide/Maximum-Projectile-Range-Rifle/80101301_58581/

Now maximum EFFECTIVE range of a rifle is a whole other matter.

Take for example, my MAK-90 rifle has an effective range of 600 yards, after that it goes sub-sonic and drops even faster than it's normal trajectory. It has a big bullet, with not much gunpowder behind it, therefore it drops fast compared other rounds. It's also why they call 7.62X39mm, the rainbow bullet, you need quite a bit of hold-over (aiming) beyond 300 yards to hit a target with it. Take for for another example, my PTR-32 rifle in same exact caliber. It's a delayed roller-blowback design and allows me to hit much more accurately and consistently well beyond 200 yards (up to it's maximum of 600 yards) where as my MAK-90 with it's long-stroke piston system is considerably less accurate and limited to an effective maximum range of 200 yards. Now take for another example, the AR-15/M4A1 can hit out to an effective maximum range of 800 yards, but it's projectile can continue traveling far further than that, to 2 miles. There are some .30 caliber rifles (.30-06, .308) that have effective ranges of beyond 1,000 yards, but again the projectile can travel much further than that, nearly up to 3 miles.

Again maximum range of a rifle's projectile before it goes sub-sonic, drops like a rock into the ground and effective range to aim accurately enough to hit with of said rifle are two very different things, even I understand that. Even then it wholly depends on what rifle, the load of bullet you're using, even the length of it's barrel, even the optics used on the rifle and ultimately, who is pulling the trigger and just how good of a marksman they are.

So who knows jack about firearms again?

@HarmlessSyan I actually play on Combat Arms Reloaded for years now, not the greatest shooter, but I find it to be a slight improvement over Counter-Strike and all it's releases over the years.(and I've played them since CS 1.1 retail on the original Half-Life engine) I find that hard to believe making melee classes obsolete, when they can move and swing far faster than Rangers or Gunners can draw aim and shoot in alot of cases, at least with some of the RA/GUs hardest hitting PAs. (In my case, I also use OTS view almost exclusively when using projectile weapons)

@Jamesmor These guns have magazines on them and if the previous PSO2 weapons are any indication (like Exacrimav or Yasminkov 5k specifically) they operate like a conventional rifle with magazines and ammunition, they are not energy weapons.

@Xaelon Yes, I'm quite aware about shotguns, they can also shoot more than just birdshot or buckshot, they also shoot slugs and even more specialized ammo like flechette projectiles or dragon's breath incendiary rounds in very rare (and expensive) shotgun shells.

Bottom line, I realize this is basically a futile request to SEGA, but there are way too many people who are ignorant of such things (especially in a gun ban country like Japan) and need someone with IRL experience to give some input. So be it...