Dread Keeper II vs Ael Domina

Dread Keeper II:

HP +15, PP +4, Potency Floor Increase +1.5%, Damage Resistance +1.5%

Ael Domina:

HP +5, PP +3, Potency +1.5%

Which is better augment?

If your goal is overall damage (floor and ceiling boost) then Ael Domina handles both. If you wanted something relatively easy to slot in for a better variety of stats I don't see the particular issue with Dread Keeper II other than that you simply do less maximum damage but rather more "consistent" damage.

As a very quick and dirty rule of thumb, a Potency Floor increase is around half as good as an equivalent Potency increase on average.

So this comparison means Ael Domina basically trades 10 HP, 1 PP and 1.5% damage resistance to gain ~0.75% damage output. On paper it's worse (the increase in damage taken is more than the increase in damage you do) but you need to consider things like parries or dodges (that reduce or nullify damage taken anyway), damage resistance not mattering during boss down/break phases, and the indirect benefits of doing damage faster (like timed quests and DPS checks).

@Miraglyth ^ Potency imo is the best stat to stack currently until more crit rate comes out. If you have low base dmg rather than high base damage, I could maybe see stacking floor potency increase, but you could just get above your previous 100% through stacking potency (maybe idk havent tested). Currently you can get about 50-55% weapon potency (Cattleyas + Weapon LVL 5 Attack + Augs) without using the highest tier units (58% max) but I think you could only increase your damage range to like 85-100 or maybe 90-100.

Furthermore I think both augs are overrated for a dps oriented class, for example gunner, since you will utilize tools to negate dmg as @Miraglyth said. For a melee class (and just swap precision/technique ups respectively) you can get 6% weapon potency on each piece of gear for a total of 24% just off augments. Multiweapons are a little funky beacuse I have heard that Might doesnt work for a melee + ranged/technique weapon, but i personally havent tested.

But if you want my opinion on JUST those two? Uhhhhhhhhhhh Ael Domina cuz itll be better overall but DK II maybe easier to get since we currently cant farm Ael Note B except from one datalog to my knowledge.

@HeebieJeebez said in Dread Keeper II vs Ael Domina:

If you have low base dmg rather than high base damage, I could maybe see stacking floor potency increase, but you could just get above your previous 100% through stacking potency (maybe idk havent tested).

Look at the second tab of your weapon. The second stat is Damage Adj(ustment), which is generally 70% ~ 100% for 1-3★ and 75% ~ 100% for 4★. Potency Floor is the first of these numbers, so a 3★ with Potency Floor +2% would effectively be 72% ~ 100% and average 86% instead of 85%. This is the case no matter whether your class has low-damage attacks (e.g. Fighter, Gunner) or high-damage attacks (e.g. Hunter).

Presuming Potency is a straight multiplier (I don't know if the research has made a conclusion on that yet), Potency +2% effectively means that 3★ is now 71.4% ~ 102%, averaging 86.7% instead. If so it's consistently more useful than Potency Floor, regardless of the notation of your class's various attacks. It'd also remain useful with higher critical rates; I believe the present understanding is that a critical is a straight 120% damage regardless of damage adjustment (rendering Potency Floor boosts useless for critical hits).

Multiweapons are a little funky beacuse I have heard that Might doesnt work for a melee + ranged/technique weapon, but i personally havent tested.

My understanding is the specific damage bonuses of Might, Precision and Technique only apply to the parts of a multi-weapon that count as those weapons. For instance a sword/wire multi-weapon would see both the sword and the wire attacks benefit from Might augments, while a sword/rifle would see the sword attacks benefit from Might but not the rifle attacks (which would instead benefit from Precision).

This is why dual-attack augments like Ael Note B-D exist, as those would be useless without mutli-weapons that have to different attack types.

I also hear this was not how it worked during the betas, and that buffs to the base part of a multi-weapon would be applied to both parts (so the rifle attacks of a sword/rifle would benefit from Might but not Precision). Given that those Ael Note affixes existed in the closed beta, it is likely this was just a bug that they fixed prior to release.

Ael Note B is just a random drops in West Aelio, isn't it? Probably that makes it naturally rarer than the others as West arguably has less reason for players to go to it than Central (A), North (C) and South (D).

If you have low base dmg rather than high base damage, I could maybe see stacking floor potency increase, but you could just get above your previous 100% through stacking potency (maybe idk havent tested).

Look at the second tab of your weapon. The second stat is Damage Adj(ustment), which is generally 70% ~ 100% for 1-3★ and 75% ~ 100% for 4★. Potency Floor is the first of these numbers, so a 3★ with Potency Floor +2% would effectively be 72% ~ 100% and average 86% instead of 85%. This is the case no matter whether your class has low-damage attacks (e.g. Fighter, Gunner) or high-damage attacks (e.g. Hunter).

Presuming Potency is a straight multiplier (I don't know if the research has made a conclusion on that yet), Potency +2% effectively means that 3★ is now 71.4% ~ 102%, averaging 86.7% instead. If so it's consistently more useful than Potency Floor, regardless of the notation of your class's various attacks. It'd also remain useful with higher critical rates; I believe the present understanding is that a critical is a straight 120% damage regardless of damage adjustment (rendering Potency Floor boosts useless for critical hits).

Reason I brought it up is a low base damage weapon would benefit from floor potency since their avg. dmg goes up and since they will hit more often then a knuckles user, then it could be more beneficial. High Hit Rate = More variance in dmg = tighten your dmg adj window. Potency for high base low hit rate, floor increase for high hit rate low base damage maybe? I do not play gunner but in my head that makes sense.

Multiweapons are a little funky beacuse I have heard that Might doesnt work for a melee + ranged/technique weapon, but i personally havent tested.

My understanding is the specific damage bonuses of Might, Precision and Technique only apply to the parts of a multi-weapon that count as those weapons. For instance a sword/wire multi-weapon would see both the sword and the wire attacks benefit from Might augments, while a sword/rifle would see the sword attacks benefit from Might but not the rifle attacks (which would instead benefit from Precision).

This is why dual-attack augments like Ael Note B-D exist, as those would be useless without mutli-weapons that have to different attack types.

I agree it would make those useless, just passing on the information I have gotten from sources that spent the time testing it. I do not vouch for it though, just making sure that that may be the case and to look into it further.

I also hear this was not how it worked during the betas, and that buffs to the base part of a multi-weapon would be applied to both parts (so the rifle attacks of a sword/rifle would benefit from Might but not Precision). Given that those Ael Note affixes existed in the closed beta, it is likely this was just a bug that they fixed prior to release.

I did not follow the CBT so maybe I am getting that piece of info (might not working on me/ra multiweapon) from a source that has not updated info since CBT. TY for saving me the trouble haha.

Ael Note B is just a random drops in West Aelio, isn't it? Probably that makes it naturally rarer than the others as West arguably has less reason for players to go to it than Central (A), North (C) and South (D).

This. This changes everything...

@Miraglyth said in Dread Keeper II vs Ael Domina:

As a very quick and dirty rule of thumb, a Potency Floor increase is around half as good as an equivalent Potency increase on average.

So this comparison means Ael Domina basically trades 10 HP, 1 PP and 1.5% damage resistance to gain ~0.75% damage output. On paper it's worse (the increase in damage taken is more than the increase in damage you do) but you need to consider things like parries or dodges (that reduce or nullify damage taken anyway), damage resistance not mattering during boss down/break phases, and the indirect benefits of doing damage faster (like timed quests and DPS checks).

Of course when you're dead you'll do zero damage, but with reversasigne being even easier to get and replenish than moon atomizers, glass cannon is going to be the be-all-end-all again.

My question on Ael Note (melee/tech) is if a Wand would benfit, or is it pure tech damage?

@Kodiakmax I dont think we know at this point but from a logical perspective, it should just increase tech dmg, without messing with NAs. But since it's a "melee" weapon, it could also be assumed it increases with melee potency up. Further testing needed.

From, Your Resident Fighter Smooth Brain

I expect everything to do with Wands (and Rods) is associated with the Technique attack type.

For starters it'd be unfair to ask only the Technique classes to spec multiple attack types, for seconds I doubt throwing a partisan counts as Ranged damage, and for thirds they really ended up tripping over themselves with split attack types in OG PSO2, and ended up just giving most scion classes always-learned skills that combined them all anyway so they probably don't want to get into that mess again.

@Kodiakmax I was getting blasted elsewhere for it because of how it worked in Phantasy Star Online 2, but it seems that in New Genesis the Wand is purely TEC-focused this time around.

I thought about it more and realized that it was probably pure tech. I mean otherwise Talis would be range/tech as well. Still stuck in OG damage types in my head I guess.

I ended up doing both on mine. Here's how my units look:

5473443e-f071-457d-ae97-a2405ceec265-image.png

I don't know if it's the most optimum, but it was within reason for the augments I had grinded with my alliance. Plus I got lucky and sold a ton of other Might III / Precision III capsules to help fund them. Totally love this new augment system.

@Brittany_Rose_C said in Dread Keeper II vs Ael Domina:

Totally love this new augment system.

Yeah, it's very neat. I reckon they got this right.

I do wish Magnus Note would drop more often for middling progression though! 😅 Lab and Resola Note feel like they're way more common for some reason as I can go there for a daily task and come away with half a dozen of those, while an hour of grinding Mt. Magnus specifically for affixes usually give me none at all. On Ship 3 Magnus Note have started going for 3k or higher at times, though that might also be to do with melee classes being more popular.

@Miraglyth said in Dread Keeper II vs Ael Domina:

Magnus Note

On the topic of those notes, I'm shocked there's not an augment exchange that combines the three 8 person zone notes into one! We have Ael Domina, so why not another one for those other three notes!?

EDIT: Totally a pipe dream but if any GMs around here see my post and suggest it to the development team: Make the combined augment have +PP too 😄