What is the stance on modifying the game files? (IE: For translations/etc.) (PC Versions)

Since the community banded together to create an English translation of most of the Japanese client a while back, I was wondering if the stance was the same as SEGA JP on this matter.

@oldColdReactive said in What is the stance on modifying the game files? (IE: For translations/etc.) (PC Versions):

Since the community banded together to create an English translation of most of the Japanese client a while back, I was wondering if the stance was the same as SEGA JP on this matter.

I don't think that editing files in the client will be allowed. There will likely be some kind of exploit prevention set into place once it comes to PC.

There are some games that put up with it (Such as Everquest and Everquest 2), but the games that allow it have any and all important calculations done server-side. (Which means there's no need for "anti-cheat" software or clients, because there's no way to cheat. Bot maybe, but no amount of mucking around with the packets will change the server's results.)

I don't know how much is server side vs. client side on PSO2. The Aida translations gave me the impression that they were editing incoming results from the server and inserting English translations on the fly. I know PSU had a lot of problems due to too much being client-side. I think Japan put up with the english-translation modders because they were making money off it and the modders were making an effort to stay out of the way of the Japanese players. But now that we have our own server, I assume modding the game will not be welcomed.

@Policroma-Sol said in What is the stance on modifying the game files? (IE: For translations/etc.) (PC Versions):

There are some games that put up with it (Such as Everquest and Everquest 2), but the games that allow it have any and all important calculations done server-side. (Which means there's no need for "anti-cheat" software or clients, because there's no way to cheat. Bot maybe, but no amount of mucking around with the packets will change the server's results.)

I don't know how much is server side vs. client side on PSO2. The Aida translations gave me the impression that they were editing incoming results from the server and inserting English translations on the fly. I know PSU had a lot of problems due to too much being client-side. I think Japan put up with the english-translation modders because they were making money off it and the modders were making an effort to stay out of the way of the Japanese players. But now that we have our own server, I assume modding the game will not be welcomed.

That is a great point, most of the stuff is probably server sided. But again, I don't think modding will be allowed. The Terms of Service mention modification in different areas.

"You will not use, copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works based upon, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast or otherwise exploit the Services or Collective Content, except as expressly permitted in these Terms. No licenses or rights are granted to you by implication or otherwise under any intellectual property rights owned or controlled by SEGA or its licensors, except for the licenses and rights expressly granted in these Terms."

"You will not use, copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works based upon, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast or otherwise exploit the Services or Collective Content, except as expressly permitted in these Terms. No licenses or rights are granted to you by implication or otherwise under any intellectual property rights owned or controlled by SEGA or its licensors, except for the licenses and rights expressly granted in these Terms."

While it does not talk about it directly, don't count on trying to edit the files.