Hunter’s Warcry and the Partizan need a buff

Currently as it is Warcry is one of the most useless skills because the duration is way to short and Partizan is the weakest Hunter weapon by far with no real strengths. First off Warcry like I said is way too short, all they need to do is increase the duration and that’s it. Partizan on the other hand has way more issues.

First off Volkraptor has a 30 second cooldown for some godforsaken reason rendering it useless against mobs and is only useful against bosses who don’t die in a few hits and on top of that still easily misses like og PSO2. Secondly it has almost nothing going for it with wired lances having insane mobbing capabilities and movement, and swords have power and simplicity, partizan on the other hand have slightly better attack speed than swords? So basically not much if anything at all. Speaking of simplicity it’s much easier to go full unga bunga with a sword while using partizans is more complicated and the trade off should be power for simplicity but the opposite is true in this case. Partizans absolutely need a buff and soon but it seems like swords are still the poster child weapon for the game and the devs want hunters to mainly use the sword.

warcry's duration doesn't actually seem to be a downside to me—it has a 30-second duration but also a 30-second cooldown that begins as soon as the skill is used, so you get 100% uptime on it. increasing the duration and cooldown would only make it clunkier, since it only affects enemies who are in range when the skill is used.

i do wish we had some indication of how "threat level" actually works in this game, though i suppose we can assume it's in the same place as PSO2, where your aggro is based on how much damage you've done? regardless, being able to use warcry pretty much all the time actually seems to help a lot with activating hunter arts avenger.

regarding the partisan, i enjoy it a lot but i do agree that it has a few issues. the comparison to sword is pertinent: sword has imo some of the best and most versatile PAs in the game. twisting zapper hits in the widest vertical and horizontal area of any PA, works fantastically as a gap-closer, and does maybe three or four times more damage than any PA or technique with a similar radius. spiral edge has a very quick animation and can be easily used to exploit small openings on single targets with hunter arts avenger, and calibur streak is optimised for maximum damage on downed enemies.

by comparison, partisan has three PAs each good for one purpose only, which is hitting things directly in front of you; and i think fatal tornado is especially buggy, with only one or two of the first four hits actually making contact with an enemy, no matter how close you are to it.

partisan does have some things going for it, though: thrusting javelin has decent damage and doesn't need to be charged, meaning you can use it for hunter arts avenger on the last hit of a multi-hit enemy attack. in addition, the class skill "assault charge avenger" allows you to get the maximum benefit out of a hunter arts avenger activation, if the opening is large enough.

i understand that the new volkraptor with its 60-second cooldown is meant to be something of a safeguard against the old pso2 playstyle, which revolved around volkraptor exclusively for its damage. and it succeeds in that—in ngs, you can straight up ignore volkraptor in your damage combos, because it's useless. at level 20, volkraptor's damage cap is about 323 damage, which doesn't seem to be affected by enemy defence or weakpoint multipliers. this means that every 60 seconds you can use a special skill to inflict an amount of damage equal to less than half a PA, or one normal attack. volkraptor is also still finicky to use on specific body parts, since in order to build up damage on the volkraptor projectile you need to hit the same part that it's stuck in. even worse, unlike very similar skills such as the weapon action grenade on rifle, there's no ui indicator showing when volkraptor comes off cooldown. you pretty much have to guess, which would make getting maximum benefit out of it quite hard if it offered any benefit at all.

increasing volkraptor's damage to significant levels would unfortunately require the rest of the weapon's damage to be lowered in order to balance around it, which i think would be undesirable for most players. if i were to suggest anything i'd say to either (1) increase its cooldown to something like 120 or 180 seconds (on par with other big abilities like fighter's overload) but also greatly increase its damage, turning it into a bursty skill to use on bosses, or (2) rework it to grant a non-damaging benefit, such as restoring a large amount of PP when it explodes, or transferring any damage done to other body parts to instead hit the body part targeted by volkraptor.

@starryeyedgiant Then buff the threat generation of Warcry to 400% like base PSO2 because even at 200% I've way too often had the threat taken off of me like 10 seconds later after activating the ability rendering it a useless skill in most cases. Clearly something needs to be done about it though and/or rework how aggro works in the game currently which plenty of people have an issue with already.

I also feel like giving the ability to hold block and counter attack for massive for just swords feel like an oversight which makes an already versatile weapon even more versatile, partizans should have the same ability to block and counter attack like swords. Speaking of blocking, does Omnidirectional Guard even work with partizans and wired lances because I feel like it usually doesn't make a difference?

Honestly as far as Volkraptor was concerned I wish they never brought it back in the first place. If they couldn't have balanced it properly then they shouldn't have added it back in. I say just remove Volkraptor entirely and buff the partizan damage and give them a proper block and counter like swords as their overall damage feel rather lacking even to wired lances.

oh, if that's the issue with warcry then i totally understand it—i feel there are a lot of situations where other people's damage output can outstrip yours as a hunter, especially if the target is already focused on someone else and difficult to catch, or if you're late to the occasion. i feel warcry should grant its benefit without being too situational, and a buff to whatever threat generation it grants would be perfect for that.

i do feel like partisan is lacking some useful tie-in for its weapon action, compared to swords and wired lances; it technically has one in volkraptor, but that's not exactly useful at all. however, i don't think a counter would necessarily be the answer—the basic counterattack available to swords and wands is far outclassed by the value you can get out of a hunter arts avenger parry, and the partisan's basic guard works just fine for purely defensive purposes with its generous window. i actually like it a lot more than the sword block, since it can be spammed easily, and it doesn't kill your momentum and make you fall in midair if not perfectly timed.

i hadn't thought about it until you asked, but it's entirely possible omnidirectional guard only applies to the sword block and partisans and wired lances have a 360° block by default. due to the skill system being the way it is, i can't exactly spec out of it to test, though.

Personally I think the buff should be to 400% or maybe even around 1000% which might seem excessive but the point is to keep aggro on the player using it. And there is another problem with Warcry, when another player uses Warcry it renders the skill useless to who used it first thus negating a reason to have more than one Hunter with Warcry in the same area which is also a problem in base PSO2.

While I didn't think about partizan weapon action not killing your momentum midair I think that might be a bit too situational. Sure you can spam the weapon action but if you miss too early you eat the full damage incoming your way while if you miss the parry timing on swords too early you take reduced damage. I don't have too much of a problem with wired lances parry (though the timing could be a bit less strict) due it giving you a ton of mobility.

to be fair to warcry, a similar problem already exists with blight rounds, where if there's another ranger main already using it, putting blight rounds on a different spot to them can erase the mark they placed and be detrimental to everyone on the team. coordinating this is fine imo—what's important in a team setting is not getting people confused.

regarding the sword block, i've always understood that the whole point of it is to parry anyway? the normal guard offers some protection and utility that other weapons don't have, but it's not what you want to be doing: you want to perfect parry, counterattack (which iirc can only be done if you successfully parry), and continue doing damage. what i meant about the partisan guard being spammable is that (1) if you time it too early, you can immediately parry again and actually have a good chance of catching the attack anyway; and (2) in the situations where you could hold block with a sword and fend off a multi-hit attack, the partisan often lets you individually parry each one--so it's worse, but not that much worse.

that said, i totally agree that the sword is more friendly when you miss a parry, and that the partisan could use some kind of additional effect to help its weapon action tie in more with its overall playstyle.

I feel like War Cry doesn't do what I think it should do. That's reset aggro levels for every player to 0 and then give you the buff for 30 seconds. I am pretty much only using it when I join the fight late in order to "regain" the aggro other players have been building up for nearly half of the boss hp, but then after some tens of seconds, often not even the entire duration of War Cry I proceed to lose it again. Of course people could say it's due to me not doing enough damage, but I manage to keep aggro in every pug UQ or any fight where I am one of the first players to hit the boss rather easily. If I am supposed to be generating twice the amount with the skill I expect not even the best players can simply do that much DPS unless somehow the damage already built up previously comes back online or isn't erased.

This also accounts for bosses that have attacks meant for players lower in the aggro queue like Daityl Sword's laser against far out player.

@Hooonter Aggro in this game is admittedly not very useful compared to other RPGs due to the lack of mechanics to take advantage of said aggro. And like I said earlier base PSO2 had Warcry at max points 400% threat generation (which I ran with for two characters mainly for the memes) which is why I suggested bumping it from 200% which is pitiful to 400-1000% which again might seem a lot but actually makes Warcry do it’s job a lot better.

Honestly, I'd just remove Volkraptor for partisan right now. The parry>assault charge is enough of a gimmick. Just buff assault charge slightly.

It was always a known pain point in PSO2 since bosses can hide a weak spot, or teleport and clear things/locks, etc. so I think it's best not to return to that. Chain Trigger is so much better in NGS since it's not tied to one hitbox (that may not even be lockable/consistently hittable) anymore.

@starryeyedgiant said in Hunter’s Warcry and the Partizan need a buff:

oh, if that's the issue with warcry then i totally understand it—i feel there are a lot of situations where other people's damage output can outstrip yours as a hunter, especially if the target is already focused on someone else and difficult to catch, or if you're late to the occasion. i feel warcry should grant its benefit without being too situational, and a buff to whatever threat generation it grants would be perfect for that.

i do feel like partisan is lacking some useful tie-in for its weapon action, compared to swords and wired lances; it technically has one in volkraptor, but that's not exactly useful at all. however, i don't think a counter would necessarily be the answer—the basic counterattack available to swords and wands is far outclassed by the value you can get out of a hunter arts avenger parry, and the partisan's basic guard works just fine for purely defensive purposes with its generous window. i actually like it a lot more than the sword block, since it can be spammed easily, and it doesn't kill your momentum and make you fall in midair if not perfectly timed.

i hadn't thought about it until you asked, but it's entirely possible omnidirectional guard only applies to the sword block and partisans and wired lances have a 360° block by default. due to the skill system being the way it is, i can't exactly spec out of it to test, though.

So I just tested partisans and wired lances with and without omnidirectional guard, it's essentially a useless skill on both weapons as having the skill makes no difference to blocking/parrying meaning it's only useful on swords.

@NotWhoUThink i see, that's good to know! i don't use swords a whole lot right now so if one of those skill reset passes gets handed out, i might spec more into flash guard instead.

@starryeyedgiant Yeah, I planned on resetting my skills on one of my characters anyways because of how bad volkraptor is.

Warcry is pointless because hunter itself isn't a tank class and aggro pulling has next to no place in ngs let alone pso2.

And Partizan definitely needs some buffs. But you're doing it wrong if you do volk at all. Partizan dumps damage much better than sword does. So you must be doing something wrong.

@Knight-Raime doesn't warcry have a use in activating hunter arts avenger, which grants a 50% damage boost? many enemies are much easier to counter when they're actually attacking you and not running around chasing other players. the point isn't to get hit, like in an actual tank role, but it's nice when enemy attacks would be hard to intercept otherwise, and it doesn't cost anything to maintain.

i'm also curious about your damage rotations in various circumstances. as far as i'm aware partisan doesn't have any advantages over sword except assault charge avenger letting it take better advantage of hunter arts avenger activations. twisting zapper hits just as hard as cleaving scythe, which is the partisan's highest-damage photon art that actually works, and calibur streak on a boss down does almost as much damage as 4× cleaving scythes in less time.