Charged Gifoie is amazing

i'm loving this class more and more every day! so satisfying to see a non stop fire pillar destroying bosses lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhKohlxM1k

Yeah cuz casting the same spell 9000 times is so amazing and exciting. zzz Was more fun before NGS.

Was more fun before NGS.

PSO2 Fo and Ph were also just "cast the same spell 9000 times". It wasn't any more or less fun, IMO.

@LusterMain said in Charged Gifoie is amazing:

Was more fun before NGS.

PSO2 Fo and Ph were also just "cast the same spell 9000 times". It wasn't any more or less fun, IMO.

If you chose to play that way that's on you. I personally maxed and used a lot of spells for fun and they still functioned and looked better than the NGS ones. In the case of this fire pillar, dropping giant meteors on enemies with big explosion in PSO2 was more entertaining.

If you chose to play that way that's on you. I personally maxed and used a lot of spells for fun

It's actually a game design flaw. Mindlessly using the same attack over and over forever should never be optimal if it is going to be as boring and unengaging as this.

@LusterMain said in Charged Gifoie is amazing:

Was more fun before NGS.

Little bit hyperbolic, to be fair each element had 1 skill that was king, and usually a 2nd that was slightly lower DPS for a trade off: Like Grants having no travel time and hitting through LoS vs Ilgrants Or how Megid, Samegid, and Gimegid hit in diffrent ways, where one would be better to proc status and another might be better damage or AoE. and that's before including RaMeigd which was handy in melee Both Gizonde and Zonde-0 had their separate uses too. What about Phantom's Gigrants-0 and Rabarta combo?

This wasn't true for all of them, honestly Rip Zan entierly, and some situations it was clear why you should only use 1... but I feel like there was a bit more variety than you're giving credit for.

@Daishi

TL;DR: I know I was being hyperbolic, but I don't think how it actually is is that much better.

Ilgrants outdamages or only slightly underperforms compared to the strongest techs of most of the other elements (even when the other elements have weakeness and ilgrants doesn't), while also being one of the easiest techs to use properly (many other techs, and almost all of the strong ones from other elements, will lose a huge amount of their damage unless under ideal conditions).

Techs from other elements simply don't perform well enough in general compared to Ilgrants to really encourage their use, which is why I said:

It's actually a game design flaw.

However, the dominance of Ilgrants (and to a pretty similar extent, Gizonde for fo/et) was not really all I had in mind - I know that even still, certain different attacks can be the best because of elemental weakness, but even then every element only really had 2 techs really worth using (one ST and one AoE, except Dark) and in pretty much all situations enemies are either going to have the same weakness (so you will end up using the same attack over and over anyway) or the weaknesses will be so varied that bothering to go for the weakness of every individual enemy isn't worthwhile (so you will end up using the same attack over and over anyway).

About Rabarta, GG0 and niche techs: Yes, I know I was being hyperbolic. But having only a few extra techs being worth using (and really, its only +1 to ST and AoE individually, for rabarta and gg0) is still rather bad.

@Daishi Something I felt was problematic with techniques much like photon arts was that you had so many of them and when it game to "easy mode" gameplay you can drop everything and use Ilgrants regardless of your class (which includes losing elemental masteries) because of how powerful it was alone. While it helps to add more than just Ilgrants to the list of techniques you can use, I feel it is very problematic that it is that powerful and that when you get into classes like the Phantom you don't use elemental weaknesses as much as you are using the fastest-hitting attacks (Ilgrants and Multi-Rabarta for example) or that when you get to the Force/Etoile who can brute-force with raw damage you just use Gizonde instead.

In terms of how New Genesis is I think that we are on a much better foundation (techniques have a use uncharged and charged depending on the situation) and I would love to see more variety of techniques and what else can be done. Personally to me, I think it would be nice to have techniques that have deeper mechanics and synergy with one another such as for enemies who do have multiple elemental weaknesses (such as needing to freeze legs with ice, burn the head for more damage, or to shock the body to paralyze it) and to have more elemental interactions overall.

With the way things currently are I can imagine seeing that Sega will eventually flip back to how things were ("charge your techniques for more power, use this one strong technique over and over again because it's the weakness for this enemy, and so on). I would love for technique/mage gameplay to be more than just "casting" and I find myself continuously pointing towards other games like Dragon's Dogma Online as stronger examples of a casting class (Sorcerer, who has spells of varying casting times but an optional mini-game where players draw out the glyphs and sigils of each spell which can be used to empower and speedcast the spells if the players memorize the patterns).

I don't disagree with you about the variety of techniques available in Phantasy Star Online 2 - but I would love if there was a much stronger balance for there being a reason why you shouldn't use Ilgrants when you can be using Megid against a dark-weakness enemy unlike what Phantasy Star Online 2 currently does.