NGS Gunner Wishlist

Please refresh the duration of Chain Trigger on hits, especially with the server lag. Please stop the animation lock for PAs and normal attacks I likes to be able to dodge after starting an attack. Please fix the targeting, I really would love to shoot the MOB in front of me.

I'd like the Chain Trigger counter to be able to be increased with multiweapons, currently Gunner mains barely benefit from the system.

What I wish is that S-Roll actually dodges correctly against UQ bosses. I don't know how many times I heard the dodge noise but I still take hits.

@LivingDoubloon8 said in NGS Gunner Wishlist:

Please refresh the duration of Chain Trigger on hits, especially with the server lag. Please stop the animation lock for PAs and normal attacks I likes to be able to dodge after starting an attack. Please fix the targeting, I really would love to shoot the MOB in front of me.

Adding onto this... I like to dodge, but I'd like to reliably be able to counter attack especially if new arts get added down the line that are more close-range as the in-game description claims the class is suppsoed to be. Both the dodge and dash are locked and so you can't move cancel for either now, which really hampers the responsiveness of the class gameplay. It's not fun to be locked-in to each attack you do and only be able to dodge out of it at specific moments, it'll become particularly aggravating when quicker enemies are added that don't allow you to anticipate seconds in advance what they're about to do.

The targetting has been very frustrating and I don't understand it still. I thought I was doing something wrong in fact, then see this post and realize that may not be the case. I was standing right in front of a Nex Aelio neck weak point and hit target, and it targetted the WING on the OTHER side of the thing. Gah!

Chain Trigger gameplay is also not especially fun, or maybe it doesn't feel like it's allowing the class to deliver as it should. You're locked to very short, specific moments of being able to charge your PAs without risking a break in your chain at a low trigger count, but there's a significant increase in damage for the close range shotgun blast when it's charged versus uncharged and that only gets further improved by the trigger bonus... But you have to be constantly managing your trigger and can't break it by charging your close range attack if you're trying to build, which I'm pretty sure should be nearly all the time.

@Usagi-01 The new Chain Trigger is much more flexible than the original (in Phantasy Star Online 2 every single photon art would have activated Chain Trigger so you were forced into using the normal attack or S-Roll Arts/Another S-Roll Arts/Calamity Bullet to build it up) and was revamped in a way where it's much less punishing to whiff it if you happen to lose your chain (you used to have to deal with a 30-90 second cooldown on whiffing it in the original).

In regards to the targeting, the New Genesis targeting seems the same to me as the original so if you wanted to try and figure things out, you can go into something like the Personal Quarters and load it up with a large number of decorations. To "target" a specific item you have to stand in a certain position, look a certain direction (camera), and have your character facing a specific direction. You can consistently practice this on this scale which translates even into New Genesis with the larger and moving bosses. As I mentioned with the original game, this was because Chain Trigger attached itself to what you shot (and not to yourself) so if you shot the wrong part you're in for a very bad time because you either whiff the Chain Trigger (and lose it for about a minute) because you can't reach it or because an ally can break that part, or you nail it. Now you no longer have to worry about missing with Chain Trigger (that's now on Chain Finish and the server's responsiveness) but until Sega reworks targeting I recommend practicing this on a smaller scale because of how unintuitive the targeting is.

And I do agree with the sentiment of this post. I really miss being that "daredevil gunslinger" the Gunner used to be in facing bosses, dodging at the last second, and hitting very hard very consistently. It definitely shines when you can keep up with your enemies and simultaneously weave your attacks in and out of theirs and so far in New Genesis I feel like the Gunner was really neutered - if not by the plethora of Chain Trigger issues they have (burning, having a Drome, using a Glissen weapon, having another Gunner in the party, using S4: Escalating Pursuit, and more all contributing to prematurely ending Chain Trigger) then by the fact that they had "little" things taken away from them that really seems like flipping the bird to Gunners in general. They were a class that caused Sega balancing nightmares in the original game and I suppose this was their chance to finally stick it to Gunners.

@VanillaLucia I dont really have anything in my PQ because I started w/ ngs, but might be able to put a few things in and see about what you're referring to. I've been playing base a fair bit too though since starting and have latched onto bouncer hard, but using jet boots I've never really had the same targetting problems and just in my head it feels like it should be worse given I'm not at range and more able to see my surroundings.

That sounds miserable though with the old CT system and having anything break or start it other than normal attacks etc!