Honestly, Sega you need to re-evalute NGS

I'm not going to hold anything back here, I'm going to tell it exactly how it is. This launch has been an epic failure, heck a failure of a colossal proportion because not only does NGS has a staggering array of technical issues, bugs and glitches it also has a huge lack of foresight and planning. Before fanbois try to derail or play down all these issues, I'm making it fully well known I will argue and post all proof if needed of any comparison I make here, so if you want to defend so be it, bring it - if not, add constructive and logical posts to the thread.

I wanted NGS to succeed and the core game actually does a good job, the graphics overhaul is fantastic and the core gameplay and flow of combat is great when it works as intended but unfortunately its being dragged down by a huge amount of issues that, I've said it before ~ my honest opinion is to take the server down and put NGS back in development for a few months, not doing so may kill any future this has.

The first week or two of a launch is extremely important, just like a job interview those first impressions are extremely important and NGS fails abysmally here, at best you have one days worth of playable content and at worse you have a turn based grindfest fighting the same group of mobs until you hit level 20, rinse and repeat, for purests who retort here and say..."well PSO2 at base launch had no content" Actually, at launch PSO2 base had more content, more gear, more areas, more quests, more story and added content faster. Sega, if you repeat a launch roadmap from a decade ago, It isn't going to work in 2021 and even your most ardent loyal fanbase isn't going defend you for long, brand loyalty will only go so far here.

Two things are at play here, either one of them could be true but NGS is either Sega's attempt to pump fresh blood into an ailing PSO2 to keep people playing and paying. And in a rush to get NGS out as players drop off, the game was pushed out massively too soon and that is most likely the case, because right now - NGS cannot be even remotely considered in a launch state with the amount of issues, CBT was like a month or less ago and many of the reported issues, haven't been addressed at all.

1) Lag

First off, Lets start with the lag problem. Yes, Sega is aware of the issue but seem to be quite nonchalant on how damaging the lag is to the overall gameplay and impression people have when first joining the server, I've played many launches in my gaming history and yes, it's common to have some launch issues but honestly...I've never seen before the amount of issues NGS has, clearly not tested enough clear across the board here. The lag alone makes the game unplayable the emergency maintenance which was supposed to make this better seems to have had the opposite effect, the lag seems to be worse - I've found myself logging off more often now due to unplayable lag sessions, so Sega - either you need to lock this issue down as soon as possible.

2) Lack of content

Secondly, a huge lack of content - fanbois, listen up - the amount of content NGS has at launch is pathetic and other games in the series started with significantly more content. For an MMo, content is paramount to success - you need to keep your players occupied and vested in playing the game, what NGS offers is next to nothing, I'll break it down in a simply summary.

Leveling 1 to 20 can be done in a day, leveling all 6 classes to 20 can be done in a one to two weeks....then what? WHAT do you do once you have maxed out your classes with literally nothing to do until Winter? Sit in Central and talk/chat? Min/Max your gear? What happens when you've done that?

Gear itself is pointless because drops don't come with any affixes, if you are SUPER lucky you might have an elusive fixa stat.... so you have really a bunch of weapons/armor sets that 90+% of them are useless, most PSO2 veterans bring over their CRAS gear and that is good enough to reach the current BP requirements and is probably going to be more than enough until the next update in Winter.

Story quests are practically non-existent, with a splattering of side quests and broken/buggy Daily quests. The basic flow of the game is essentially so narrow-minded and mindless with the vast majority of the time spent in 1 of 3 Rank 2 areas chasing PSE bursts, running around the same limited amount of mobs and just grinding out levels to 20 because that's all there is to do, whilst waiting for the urgent quest to pop just to give the player a break from a mindless circlejerk grind in Labs, Forest or Magnus....or hunting veterans for soul drops to help min/max your gear which ultimately will be rendered immediately useless in the next update anyway, but people do it anyway because there isn't anything else TO do.

July, we get an event joint web link event which sounds basically like a online survey or something that is going to add zero content to the current game, at the very earliest of any new content updates will be in August with a new class that you can level to 20 in the exact same method you're currently doing, running around in PSE bursts in labs until hitting 20 then back to waiting for the major update in Winter.

Sega, listen good ~ the VAST majority of players will NOT stick around until winter for a content update when they have already capped EVERYTHING in within the next 2 to 3 weeks, even casual players will cap way everything before even braver is released, what is your plan to keep these players in-game? What are your plans to keep players logged in? Because, I'll tell you point blank - you are facing a huge exodus from this game imminently once players realize they have nothing left to do, no goals - no quests, no min/maxing left to do. Following a launch pattern you did for PSo2 will not work for NGS, the JP servers survived because of the constant AC scratch cards and collab events to tie players over until a major content patch was released.

3) No reason to buy Premium or AC

Another big issue is there really isn't good enough reason to pay for Premium and the current scratch is very lacking, your biggest issue here is you have almost exhausted every single costume trope in the original PSO2 which can be simply brought right over to NGS, how many new costumes can you actually do for NGS when you have already a ridiculous amount already available.

Premium is just a waste right now, other than actually being able to sell items...it is pretty useless and hey, guess what - Even selling items on the market is fairly useless as well because there isn't enough items in NGS, or varied enough items to really be worth it and since you can't sell PSO2 content for N-Meseta....it serves limited purpose and people are noticing this fact, that means your consumer base is not spending money, needless to say that isn't good if the platform goes into the red....if the game becomes a major failure and starts hemorrhaging funds then you can bet management will terminate the server quickly and even potentially without any warning.

4) What needs to happen

Like others, I want NGS to succeed and it has a good engine under the hood with amazing potential but currently it's being held back in a dramatic fashion, Sega you cannot monetize NGS the same way you could PSO2, it isn't going to work and you cannot release content the same way, if you try to milk this game over the next decade by releasing small content updates once a year or less I'll tell you point blank, that isn't going to work in 2021 and I strongly urge you to reconsider your roadmap for NGS.

As the title suggest, I heavily suggest you start re-evaluting NGS as a platform....take a good long look at what will happen to this game within the next month.

Lets assume on the next maintenance they patch and fix the lag issue entirely, I honestly predict what will happen over the next month.

Hardcore players will cap everything, with nothing left to do they will go on hiatus until Braver Core players will eventually cap everything, and will also go on hiatus until Braver. Casual players will steadily cap, or get bored and move onto a different game. or logon less and less.

You need to keep the players moving forward as much as possible, once players hit brick walls then players start thinking about what next? Once that happens, that is when players decide to quit and move on to a different game, that is and always has been key to a success MoG or MMo.

I agree on the lag. While far more wanted to play than expected it should of been resolved quicker.

The content aspect is going to take time for people to get used to. Many believe this would of been a dungeon/raid game, but it isn't. They've made it clear they want it to be an open world MMO where you create your own type of fun. Leveling will take time and the grind is PSO as it's core. Would love to know who got to 20 in a day. It doesn't seem feasible to most players. The weapon/unit upgrade system will also take some time. If they want to attract a wider audience they need to experiment like they did with PSO2. Plenty of ideas failed, but they did try to amp the game in different directions. It all comes down to the devs wanting to create a truly open world experience like they have no or copy/paste ideas from other MMO's to reach broad appeal.

Premium is a bit of an odd duck right now. Subbing does host benefits, but it's much smaller than I thought it would be. Outside of player trading being gated behind it the fact it's only 10 food for a buff and premium attendance awards isn't that much of a carrot on a stick.

By years end(6 months) we'll see what they plan to do. We are getting quite a bit this year if the road map is to be taken seriously.

@Zeke See, thats fine - open world making your own fun sounds great on paper, when you have options to do so, and NGS doesn't right now. It's like visiting a Theme park and finding only one ride is open.

@Amari-Kigu said in Honestly, Sega you need to re-evalute NGS:

@Zeke See, thats fine - open world making your own fun sounds great on paper, when you have options to do so, and NGS doesn't right now. It's like visiting a Theme park and finding only one ride is open.

Personally I think by December we'll get a better idea on what their plan is for the game. We'll have a number of things out along with a new region.

@Zeke I really hope NGS survives that long if I'm being honest and, I'd like to say I'm being a bit melodramatic but once players fully cap without a reason to log in and actually play, I can see a lot of players quitting. Most of the people in my alliance already have 2 or 3 classes capped and already noticed people playing less and less.

The Rocket Campaign also makes very little sense if I'm being honest, race to the level cap for a bonus item...then what? What plans to you have for capped players? Asking for a friend!

Once I cap all my classes which probably will be next week, all's I can see myself doing is logging in for daily quests and amass Meseta for future projects.

...It has only been 5 days. They are addressing the bugs as quickly as they can. Bear in mind that SEGA NA is gathering the information from those that are playing, despite the lag, and sending that information to SEGA JP, since they are the ones that will ultimately be working on resolving/patching the issues for the game client.

You're also acting like PSO2 NGS is the only game available that we can play. PSO2 base is still accessible, and for those who may get bored of the "lack of content" on NGS at present, one can simply head to base PSO2 and farm content there. Considering that many do in fact feel that the current NGS scratch is limited, I see many on base running Cradle for meseta to buy various cosmetics. Therefore, your suggestion of shutting down the game would not only shut down NGS, but also base PSO2, which would kind of be SEGA shooting themselves in the foot. Not to mention that premium still is functioning on base PSO2.

I understand that people are incredibly frustrated with the lag and the bugs at present, and granted, a lot, myself included, are wondering how these bugs even got past QA, but once again, it has only been five days. I'm not trying to say your concerns are invalid in any way, just to give SEGA NA and JP the extra time they need.

Considering Covid is still an issue and the communication delays that exist between NA and JP, things are not going to move as quickly as we would like. They are doing their very best to keep the community informed of the issues as soon as they can confirm it.

@Zeke I really hope NGS survives that long if I'm being honest and, I'd like to say I'm being a bit melodramatic but once players fully cap without a reason to log in and actually play, I can see a lot of players quitting. Most of the people in my alliance already have 2 or 3 classes capped and already noticed people playing less and less.

The Rocket Campaign also makes very little sense if I'm being honest, race to the level cap for a bonus item...then what? What plans to you have for capped players? Asking for a friend!

Wait you honestly don't think it'll survive? Microsoft and Sega made it very clear this will have quite a few years of service.

To say it won't survive is kinda naive.

@Zeke said in Honestly, Sega you need to re-evalute NGS:

Wait you honestly don't think it'll survive? Microsoft and Sega made it very clear this will have quite a few years of service.

I've seen other MMos utterly fail, that had less issues - so call me naive, but I've personally witnessed it happen from a front row seat. SoE had a track history of very bad decisions and a failure to listen to the playerbase, and ultimately cost them everything.

People have to understand a major point, this game is a business that needs to make money. If a vast majority of players stop playing, what happens then? If you assume the vast majority of players will keep playing once they have capped everything and have no incentive, no reason to play, then you are the naive one.

I've seen other MMos utterly fail, that had less issues - so call me naive, but I've personally witnessed it happen from a front row seat.

So have I.

The thing is that NGS is also attached to pso2. The PSO franchise has such a hardcore base that it won't die that quickly. Hell if PSO2 is any indication it certainly won't die for years to come. I mean global players bested JP players in spending for PSO2 last year. The revenue numbers are there. The game isn't going to die. It really is naive to think it will.

Now if we go an entire year of something like this that the other MMO's that have closed down from then I would agree. Thing is they released a roadmap and are releasing a lot of content throughout the year. With Microsoft help that certainly won't be a problem either.

I've seen other MMos utterly fail, that had less issues - so call me naive, but I've personally witnessed it happen from a front row seat.

So have I.

The thing is that NGS is also attached to pso2. The PSO franchise has such a hardcore base that it won't die that quickly. Hell if PSO2 is any indication it certainly won't die for years to come. I mean global players bested JP players in spending for PSO2. The revenue numbers are there. The game isn't going to die. It really is naive to think it will.

Now if we go an entire year of something like the other MMO's that have closed down then I would agree. Thing is they released a roadmap and are releasing a lot of content throughout the year. With Microsoft help that certainly won't be a problem either.

Its hardcore Global fanbase might not be enough though, trust me ~ I considered that fact. Look at the reasons to even play PSO2 right now, they removed many of the incentives because they wanted to gracefully push people into playing NGS, its logical. What reasons do you have to play PSO2, are you capped there too? Fully min/maxed your CRAS gear? Got millions upon millions of Meseta? I see few reasons to actually go back to PSO2 right now, and again - that is part of the problem.

Playing PSO2 serves limited purpose and playing NGS has limited options right now. There isn't really any point in arguing apples and oranges though, we'll have to see how this plays out, and honestly ~ I hope I'm wrong but everyone has to admit, I have very very good points.

Well the revenue for me speaks a different tune. It's hard to say a game will fail when it brings in so much revenue each year. Nearly doubled the revenue Sega had on PSO2 when Global took to the world last year.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/printing_annual/

It's all there if you want to see yourself. I'd argue it even helped them with their stocks too. Why would you EVER close down something internationally when they bested your own countrymen in spending?

You'd be surprised how much fashion alone brings in for this game. Hell I'd say that's the biggest appeal that keeps most players playing. I know it was for me when the Mission Pass came out. We're getting that in August for NGS so that will definitely keep players hooked for a bit.

Before fanbois try to derail or play down all these issues

Let me stop reading here... What FANBOIS?

Ever since launch all I've seen were paragraphs like yours flood every inch of the internet explaining the technical issues of NGS, how to make it better etc.

Some praise it, but they slap a ton of criticism on the game (As they should) You can enjoy something and still be critical, wherever you see these fanbois however, I must need glasses.

SEGA isn't going to let the game die 😥 it's one of their biggest money makers as Zeke posted above.

I can understand the disappointment some people are feeling, I totally get it. Saying the game is going to die and I've seen other people in other topics say things like the game is trash. Well, that's great and all i guess, but saying that doesn't achieve anything and definitely isn't constructive feedback. Just makes people come off as bitter and angry.

There is a lot of people having fun with the game, including myself. I do see myself getting bored eventually, I burn out on base PSO2 all the time. When that happens though i just take a break and play something else. PSO2 will always be here. nothing wrong with taking a break and waiting for more content.

People expecting a more traditional MMO experience are going to naturally be disappointed. I totally understand that and everyone is free to their opinion. But if someone doesn't like the core gameplay, move on and play something else. Calling the game trash and complaining on the message boards about how the game isn't how you wanted won't change anything about the core fundamentals of the game.

Did you play Destiny 2 at launch? I did. Same void of content. 6-12 months later? tons of stuff to do. They have more content finished and ready to go, but they're trickling it down week by week.

Final fantasy 14 takes the same approach. Whenever there has been a new expansion, they don't introduce any end game content. The idea is to give the players a reasonable amount of time to get through the story at a comfortable pace and begin prepping gear for end game.

I'm not sure how big of a part dread enemies will play as "End game content" but they've already made mention that we are getting these mobs June 23rd and that they are going to be the next challenge. I'm assuming they will be at or above our current max level and we will need really good gear to clear them during their limited time appearances. (Thunderstorms.)

Edit: I intended to say that Ff14 takes the same approach shown so far in NGS where there is a 2 week gap between the release of harder content.