I want to fire spells in camera direction, not character direction, but I also don't like over-the-shoulder mode.

I was trying to find this in options. I just want to fire spells in camera direction but I can only do it in over the shoulder mode.

I don't like over the shoulder though because;

1. It zooms camera in, I don't want to zoom in.

2. I can't change the reticle, it's large and obnoxiously animated, a simple dot would be fine at most.

3. It removes the ability to lock on. I want to shoot where I'm aiming the camera if I'm not locked on and shoot at locked on target when I am.

Give us more options please.

1. It removes the ability to lock on. I want to shoot where I'm aiming the camera if I'm not locked on and shoot at locked on target when I am.

you are contracting yourself if you want to throw techs in the direction you want you can't have auto lock that is the exact oposite of that.

what you want is a much closer camera that is not free aim but considering how chaotic the combat is you don't want that unless you don't mind to dying from an attack that you have no idea from where it came from.

Wow, camera and aiming still suck and are horribly designed what the combat is about? Who would have guessed?!

@Jamesmor said in I want to fire spells in camera direction, not character direction, but I also don't like over-the-shoulder mode.:

1. It removes the ability to lock on. I want to shoot where I'm aiming the camera if I'm not locked on and shoot at locked on target when I am.

you are contracting yourself if you want to throw techs in the direction you want you can't have auto lock that is the exact oposite of that.

what you want is a much closer camera that is not free aim but considering how chaotic the combat is you don't want that unless you don't mind to dying from an attack that you have no idea from where it came from.

I don't understand your message. Lock-on is a choice and takes effect when I choose to press the button. But I don't have that choice in over-the-shoulder mode. It's also annoying when I'm charging a tech on a locked-on enemy and it dies just as I'm releasing it and causes it to cast off screen to the far left/right of me cuz I was moving when it could have struck the spot I was looking at and hit the still alive enemies near dying target. It happens a lot when it could easily just not happen at all by them adding the requested option.

This is probably the only game to ever exist that chooses character direction aiming over camera for anything cuz this is first time I've seen such a thing in the many I've played. It took me a while to realize why lock-on was terribly inaccurate as well till I noticed it's because the default for that is also character direction. BUT they actually let us change that to camera. I want the same for aiming.

I completely agree with OP here. The current targetting system is ass.

It's even worse in ngs when fighting bujin than it was in the original pso2; I have two massive tails that cover 1/4th of the screen if I try to lock onto one because of how low the camera gets.

In short: If you don lockon you can't move sideways and attack at the same time.

If you lockon you are forced to look directly at the enemy with no ability to adjust the angle, especially annoying if enemy is too big to fit inside the camera like gommoroth during the down part of first phase.

What I personally want is either ability to aim with mouse without needing to lockon, or ability to lockon target and then be able to move the camera.

YES!

I too want my character to perform actions towards CAMERA DIRECTION, and not character facing.

Soft Locking is already a thing, but turning the character makes it shoot off-screen, while shooting SHOULD make the character shoot towards camera facing as if the character was facing it, like to Hard Lock-On movement but without locking or being completely Aim dependent like Manual Mode.

At the very least an option, if not just make it base line.

PSO2 NGS needs this. And needs it badly!

I like it as is. Already adjusted to this style in base PSO2, and I'd hate to have to deal with a setup, similar to what Warframe tried to push onto everyone years ago. It didn't work out, and they made it an option in the settings menu, to chose the original setup, or the new one some players claimed would be a better option. Few used the setup where your attacks where camera centric. Most hated it due to how the combat worked. The lock on needs to be tweaked though.

@Anarchy-Marine Woah thats some ancient change you mention on Warframe.

I think you misunderstand then because on Warframe its in relation to melees attacks only, "align attacks to camera" and has the option to disable it, this was quite successful afaik, and it also has the "Camera Tracks Melee Target" and "Melee Auto Targeting", these last 2 are the most disruptive ones on warframe but the options are there.

PSO though has soft target locking already for ranged weapons, target finding, and melee animations root the character AND camera as well on Z (manual), which doesn't happen in warframe where you can for example adjust an on-going vertical melee swing to hit the head of an enemy with "Align Attacks to Camera".

But for me what would benefit the most from Aligning isn't melee on PSO, but ranged attacks because of the target finding it already has, if the character is facing the direction without being in manual. It would allow for side movement without changing the attack direction or doing a hard lock on. It's not like I am ever trying to hit something that I can't see on my screen, ie camera.

I too was searching for this on option much like OP. Wouldn't it be nice if they added the option? It would be more dynamic than depending on hard lock-on on one target with Q, but less burdensome than Manual with Z. Somewhat in between?

@Wolf-Watches-Clouds With how chaotic fights are, for me personally no, it wouldn't benefit me. I'd just auto lock and be done with that targeting wise.

I've tried to get used to it for now but ranged combat feels way too bad. Force and my Gunner sub are the only classes I'm interested in till Summoner and Phantom so I'm finding it very difficult to want to play at all till either SEGA fixes this problem or someone makes a mod for it. I can't believe it doesn't even let me zoom out OTS mode. It just feels so bad and builds up my annoyance meter the more longer I play because it's such an irrational design for "shooter" game controls. If they can code Lock-On via camera aiming I'm sure they can jury rig my request into the game.

It wasn't as bad in base PSO2 because so many spells were tracking or huge AoEs and there was a lot less mobility and open space.

I was really hoping NGS would have a lot of improvements with the UI and control options available to us and actually turn it into a game of the current year, but it's been a mega disappointment overall. People need options to tailor a game's controls to their style and the lack of that is one of this game's biggest flaws.

There’s free aim, lock on, and over the shoulder. Anymore than this and the servers might actually melt. XD

@Pariah-Chan said in I want to fire spells in camera direction, not character direction, but I also don't like over-the-shoulder mode.:

There’s free aim, lock on, and over the shoulder. Anymore than this and the servers might actually melt. XD

And free aim is bad, and OTS is bad. Honestly there's no point in having these separated. Delete OTS and just make everything camera based and problem solved. Why are you even calling it free aim, it's not. It doesn't even go vertical. But my original post explains what's needed enough and certainly isn't going to melt anything.

another thing is just being able to LOCK ON to what you/camera are looking at and not some random ass critter off in a random corner. it would also be great if your LOCK ON didn't just randomly LOCK OFF just because a rock or bush got between you and your target. i have to admit the targeting in NGS is really bad and very very frustrating. i have cursed at my screen more times this week due to this game than i have in a very very long time!

@Pariah-Chan said in I want to fire spells in camera direction, not character direction, but I also don't like over-the-shoulder mode.:

well it would be nice if they actually worked though. right now they are all kinda bad and need to be fixed/worked on/improved greatly