Okay, thoughts on New Genesis

I just went to look on the website to see if there were news. Turns out that levelling up classes can make you lose money as well.

So let's just compile it all for a minute.

Logging in, can make you lose money. Levelling up, can make you lose money. Teleporting or moving to another area, can make you lose money. Respawn timers are horrible. The server lags make this game nearly unplayable. Massive lack of content, even if its week one, there is a limit to how dry content should be.

As much as I am enjoying parts of New Genesis... Holy shit this is a shit show.

But because there is good, let's also talk about it. The battle system is absolutely fantastic, I am enjoying every weapon class so far. This wasn't the case with base PSO2. I feel more at ease playing in Melee and doing the parries because the combat feels more fluid and less clunky. The visual upgrade is really good. Even if I feel like the PC requirements are too high for what the game really is, at least currently. I am glad that we are back to a method of storytelling that does not involve going into a menu to load up 500 hours of dialogue with almost no content to play through. Transffering fashion to NGS is great, makes it so we don't have to look like nobodies, thank god.

Things I am not sure how I feel about. The removal of Just Attack. As much as I feel that sometimes it wasn't great.. It did add something to the gameplay and has been there for so long that it feels like an old friend that left. No client orders, I feel like unless they bring something to replace that proper.. Its going to be a pain. No real job questline. I miss seeing a trainer and doing a bunch of tasks for them.

This is just my thoughts, and as much as I am liking the game, I feel like its going to have a very hard time if things keeps up like this.

The game should have been launched as an "Open Beta" in my opinion to properly set people's expectations. That is basically what PSO2NGS is right now with the all the bugs and server lag issues.

I agree the combat is super fun. I find the game quite addicting.

Still, this is PSO2. Despite the issues right now the game will still end up being a massive success. SEGA knows what they are doing and isn't going to let one of their biggest money making sources die on them.

@Photon_Cat I can deal with all the monetization, just give me stuff to do and make it so I can play without having ass lag.

Game isn't ready.

While I do enjoy it, they really need to iron out all the bugs. Losing meseta because of teleporting, region changing, and now even leveling up is really bad - a looter game where your loot (money) literally just disappears. In addition to gathering nodes that had been a complaint since CBTs are still an issue on release.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth said in Okay, thoughts on New Genesis:

@Photon_Cat I can deal with all the monetization, just give me stuff to do and make it so I can play without having ass lag.

I agree 100%! Hopefully SEGA are able to get the lag issues fixed sooner rather than later.

@HarmlessSyan I really wanted to start out paying a premium, I really did. But I had a feeling that something was going to go wrong. Glad I followed my instinct. I like NGS. I really do. I think that there is so much potential there for a game to entertain me while before I leave for work. But right now... There is a lot to address.

@Photon_Cat I know that they are going to fix it. I am sure they are working like madmen right now on it. But sadly this is but one of the issues.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth I too let my premium run out at end of May, partially due to shenanigans that may happen on NGS release and partially due to spending more time on FFXIV.

@HarmlessSyan That is the thing, I will never have any issues paying my FFXIV sub, because I am getting so much out of that game no matter what I do in it. I want PSO2 NGS to feel that way too.

So far myself and my son have really been enjoying exploring the areas we are permitted into together (We are both level 8 so far). Combat has been improved so much compared to PSO2, searching for the hidden red/gold chests has been fun.

The only real gripe I have is that I can't use the old layer wear/outfits with the new models. New models are nice and all, but there isn't a lot available for cosmetics that I'm liking so I'm currently 'stuck' with the old model. It's a minor gripe compared to how much we're both liking this game so far though. I was about to go back to Guild Wars 2, but after playing this I uninstalled that and The Old Republic.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth said in Okay, thoughts on New Genesis:

@HarmlessSyan That is the thing, I will never have any issues paying my FFXIV sub, because I am getting so much out of that game no matter what I do in it. I want PSO2 NGS to feel that way too.

Not going to happen, FFXIV is a sub-based MMO, so they are somewhat obligated to give out content that way, without needing to nickel and dime you, although they are double-dipping with their cash shop, so they aren't innocent of greed by any means. PSO is a F2P MMO, now while they are not nearly as bad and greedy as the majority of F2P (Free to log in) games out there. they have to get money out of you. So it won't ever be the same way unless they turn into a sub based MMO

But in the same way 14 will never be F2P, PSO2 will never be sub-based, as neither can get away with it.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth

That's kinda the opposite for me. I re-upped my premium two days ago because while there is a fair bit of lows with this game at the moment I feel like the highs even it out a bit. At least for me. I have faith that NGS is going to get better as time goes on. So I think it's appropriate for me to invest money into it.

I would've gladly dropped the money to get the hover animation (even though the amount is silly,) because I love what they've given us so far. But I stopped myself because AFAIK motions are not account wide like emotes. Meaning I can't squeeze more value out of said purchase with my 3 characters. I'd rather spend that money on material storage or a scratch that I like more than the current for values sake.

So far I lost 360k

Me and my friends are already at this point where the only thing we really have left to do is grind out levels. So we log out, and only log back into the game for urgent quests.

@NIC said in Okay, thoughts on New Genesis:

Me and my friends are already at this point where the only thing we really have left to do is grind out levels. So we log out, and only log back into the game for urgent quests.

lmao, sounds like some things never change.

That is pretty much all pso 2 base was, get your gear to current update then only log in during UQs, and back out, rinse repeat.