General thoughts on the BP gate?

@Taran-Tatsui said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I've read about cases where someone gets enough bp to finish the story, and then the dailies start selecting missions requiring the 1184 bp amout. Even though the story only requires 1100 to finish. Leaving them in a situation where they're short the means to get daily rewards to help them continue to increase their bp.

Perhaps the story quest that triggers the bp locked dailes should require the same bp lock of those dalies to progress.

Man I hope not, I just got to nex helio last night and got wiped with the floor during his second phase. I'd hate to be stuck progressing after killing this pain in the #&$

Pso2 I've had plenty of failed UQ due to people wanting to leech. From all episodes this has happened to where I focused on pre-mades.

In NGS I've yet to have that happen because the game forced you to actually better yourself. Don't like it then I say tuff. Rather this than a bunch if leeches than eventually leads to failed UQ's.

yeah im completely new to the game so I haven't had the negative experience like you but as I said i think its a great thing.

The fact it gates is fine, the amount of effort needed to meet the minimum for UQ and level 2 instances is not ok, significantly too much.

With all the unplayable lag issues it was 4 days before I met the requirements on a single character.

@Perfect-Poizon said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

@Taran-Tatsui said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I've read about cases where someone gets enough bp to finish the story, and then the dailies start selecting missions requiring the 1184 bp amout. Even though the story only requires 1100 to finish. Leaving them in a situation where they're short the means to get daily rewards to help them continue to increase their bp.

Perhaps the story quest that triggers the bp locked dailes should require the same bp lock of those dalies to progress.

Man I hope not, I just got to nex helio last night and got wiped with the floor during his second phase. I'd hate to be stuck progressing after killing this pain in the #&$

Not having access to a few dailies won't be that big an issue for progression, honestly. It'll mean you miss a bit of free exp, but once you beat the dragon story quest you get access to Resol Forest for grinding, which is pretty decent exp.

@Robo-Mason-S said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I am not familiar with it, but I am guessing the BP Gate is to deter cheaters.

For example, going in with 1200BP when your agenda is to raise your lv1 Gunner.

This is actually doable in NGS rofl. You can switch your subclass to lv1 Gunner and as long as the Skill Point is used up (all 20), your BP wont change since the only BP you got from Subclass is from Class Skills. Of course, as long I use a proper main class level.

I did that for several class already.

Another thing is, at least people are decently geared for UQs and they generally completes. I remember doing MBD XH(and later UH) only to fail everytime because everyone can't kill anything fast enough rofl. I'd rather have gear scores compared to having my 30 minutes+ of limited urgent mission time turn into nothing.

I like the BP.

In Base PSO2, players who reach min level to run a UQ are able to attack a boss. This means that SEGA has to make a boss based on Character-Level and Maximum Number of Players. The Battle Power system allows SEGA to focus on scripting and creating a boss battle based on the Gear Score/Battle Power (min. level of gear) that each party member entering the fight must have.

However, like stated in-game. Battle Power is not representative of the skill players have. It does not account for:

~DPS (damage per second) ~Knowledge of the fight ~Knowledge of the Class being played ~Ability to play well with others (team work) ~Ability to understand the difference between Strategy and Tactics and execute both (adaptability).

I will use myself as an example:

I am a good Techter and Force. I know how to make those classes work and I like supporting others. However, I am not a great gunner though I know the PAs. Even though another gunner might have 1184 BP and I may have 1200 - 1300 BP as a gunner so far, that other gunner who knows the fight and how to survive and DPS in that fight will perform better than me.

@Kofi9867 said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

People don't seem to like the BP gating system because they feel as though they are being left out, or can't be carried through the game's content.

I personally thoroughly enjoy the system, coming from games where people would rather be carried than work to improve their gear in order to join content, I'd like to think that getting better gear/stronger and improving it to get into different content is a great motivator.

So I ask, what are your thoughts on it?

I agree with you. I just couldn't get the required bp with all the lag until yesterday.

The reason we have battle power is all the level 100/100 people in vanilla in UH who use level 1 weapons and units.

@ZeeHero9271 That could also have been because some prominent figures loved to lead people to believe the game was skill based and gear didnt matter. Or they could have been trolls just trying to do their part in making sure the quest fails.

@AngryRhombus563 It is skill based. but that's a relative thing. any game with any form of stats and equipment cannot be 100% skill based.

Pso2 is still far more skill based than anything else, but if your weapon is 90 levels behind you'd better bet it'll gimp you.

I am 100% fine with BP. It always drove me nuts that people could join UH UQs in PSO2 wearing un-enhanced weapons and whatever units they wore while leveling. Assuming the requirements don't get too crazy, BP will serve as a nice way to remind people that maybe they should consider upgrading their gear.

I also agree that giving mobs arbitrary damage resistance if you're too low level is unneeded. I could understand it if level gated something important like class skills, but currently the only thing it does is effect what gear you can use, which in turn effects your BP. It just seems redundant to me.

While I don't mind the BP gate, I do think it's a bit high for what's locked behind it right now. I really didn't have an issue with it on my first class, but on my 2nd - without the benefit of all the freebies the story quests give you - I found it to be a lot more of a grind to get there. I don't think reducing the BP gate by 40 or 50 points would be a bad thing.

I'd rather make it slightly easier to reach that 1184 minimum. not too much easier mind you but some.

@Xaelon said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I also agree that giving mobs arbitrary damage resistance if you're too low level is unneeded.

This is one of the points of feedback I gave after the beta. It is even worse now since there are people that have been able to get enough BP for UQ's but are too low in level to deal damage.