General thoughts on the BP gate?

The gate seems reasonable, all things considered. BP seems like a better measure than the LvL + iLvL combo and so far, I didn't have to go far out of my way to reach it, just slap the stuff I got from dailies/weeklies together, so the numbers don't seem that dreadful either.

I'll be very disappointed if there won't eventually be a corny DBZ reference gated behind 9000+ BP, though.

The BP requirement is like 10-15% too high.

@Ren6617 said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

The issue people are having from what I can tell is that they can't rush to the BP. Because of that they're angry they can't participate in the UQ's right away like you could with pso2 due to only needing the level requirement. I'll be the first to say PSO2 players got a handicap, but even then we still have to take our time grinding for new NGS gear.

@Zeke said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

@Ren6617 said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

The issue people are having from what I can tell is that they can't rush to the BP. Because of that they're angry they can't participate in the UQ's right away like you could with pso2 due to only needing the level requirement. I'll be the first to say PSO2 players got a handicap, but even then we still have to take our time grinding for new NGS gear.

I'm 1200bp and I'm still hunting for the 4* Fi Weapons :'D It's like a unicorn at this rate.

No more Sigma Bastads in my eq feels good

BP is a problem in this game because it is there to slow you down so you dont realize how little content actually exists. Back in the day we never really had gear score because the game did a good job of checking that for you. By viciously and brutally murdering your face if you were under geared. I remember pretty clearly in WoW pulling elites that you were not really geared to fight and how quickly that fight ended in a hilarious fashion.

We don't really need BP, but its there to slow people down so they keep playing and they don't realize how bare bones the game actually is... which i think is the real problem. It's also difficult and confusing on how to get more BP... my friend and i are the same level, have roughly the same gear, and rarity levels. But somehow he has over 1100, and i can't seem to break 1050... we tried to figure out what he had that was giving him the extra BP but for the life of me i couldn't figure it out.

We compared our gear and they are almost identical, we have the same skill point distributions. everything looks roughly the same BUT somehow he has more BP then i do? its really weird and confusing and i think it just detracts from the game and kills enjoyment to a point.

@AzureTheGamerKobold said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

Back in the day we never really had gear score because the game did a good job of checking that for you. By viciously and brutally murdering your face if you were under geared. I remember pretty clearly in WoW pulling elites that you were not really geared to fight and how quickly that fight ended in a hilarious fashion.

This is only true if the entire group is of comparable gear levels. There are plenty of places in PSO2 or WoW where you could carry some scrub through a fight/raid who had no business being there at that gear level, because they weren't enough of a detriment being there to keep you from clearing. That's the kind of thing BP exists to prevent, dudes queueing for UQs and expecting to get carried by the rest of the group because they can't kick him. The WoW community came up with gearscore 10+ years ago to solve the same problem.

@AzureTheGamerKobold said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

It's also difficult and confusing on how to get more BP... my friend and i are the same level, have roughly the same gear, and rarity levels. But somehow he has over 1100, and i can't seem to break 1050... we tried to figure out what he had that was giving him the extra BP but for the life of me i couldn't figure it out. We compared our gear and they are almost identical, we have the same skill point distributions. everything looks roughly the same BUT somehow he has more BP then i do?

Just making sure, but do you both have your subclass points allocated as well? The actual level of your subclass doesn't matter because they don't give stats, but the points you pump into your subclass's tree still contribute to your BP a decent amount.

My 2 cents. I'm perfectly fine with a BP check when "matchmaking" for content like UQs and such. I don't think there is any place for it whatsoever in the story content. Additionally, any content being done entirely with a "premade" group should be completely exempt from any BP check. If a group of people want to (try to) carry their friend who just started playing, say to help him catch up faster, LET THEM. (Note: I'm not sure if's actually possible to do a UQ as a large premade group, as I believe max party size is significantly less than UQ group size, but it SHOULD be.)

@GnatB said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I don't think there is any place for it whatsoever in the story content. It prevents newbies from unintentionally facing Nex Aelio with a +0 Primm Weapon and 3 +0 Units and no skills. They can roughly tune the fights for an expected BP level which will just become more important as higher level content and gear is added.

I do not mind it. I believe it is there to encourage people to look after their gear accordingly. However, already running into issues where people are meeting the BP requirement, but being too low a level to adequately deal damage to the boss, being detrimental to the group. Last UG that recently occurred (Dragon UQ), we completed with about 3 minutes left to spare.

Took a lot longer than necessary I feel and considering that the current BP for UQ's can be adequately obtained if you enhance your units/weapon properly, as well as obtain all skill points from towers/cocoons, I am going to assume the reason why it took as long as it did was because people weren't of the proper level to deal adequate enough damage....Or those of us involved have no idea what our proper rotations are, thus enforcing the argument that even with the proper BP, lack of skill will still cause you to have a hard time with the UQ's, despite you having the "proper" BP.

@Reiven I mentioned it earlier that I was allowed in UQs while being underleveled (difference of 5+ levels) but having the required BP. Game does not stop you at all from joining and that to me makes this BP system thing half useless as a method of keeping people that should not be there actually out.

@Vashzaron Indeed and agreed that it is half useless. Since they are introducing this system as a way to encourage one to keep up with their gear, with the added twist of greatly reducing the amount of damage one will deal to the boss if one is not a certain level, I feel that the proper way to have introduced this new system would have been to not only add the BP requirement, but to have also locked one out based on their level similar to how it is done on base PSO2.

I understand that it may be an unpopular opinion, but the fact of the matter is that by current design, whether one agrees with it or not, all the skill one may have is going to be nurtured due to you being that ONE level off in an UQ. And if you happen to get thrown into a run with others of similar circumstance, well, you are either going to fail, or you're going to be a heavy burden to those few that are of both proper level and BP, which completely defeats the purpose of implementing the new system to being with.

@ultimatecalibur said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

@GnatB said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I don't think there is any place for it whatsoever in the story content.

It prevents newbies from unintentionally facing Nex Aelio with a +0 Primm Weapon and 3 +0 Units and no skills. They can roughly tune the fights for an expected BP level which will just become more important as higher level content and gear is added.

Counterpoint. Story content should be balanced on the assumption that players aren't running the endgame treadmill and grinding out/augmenting/enhancing items out the wazoo while actually doing the story, and should instead be balanced based on what the story quests/side quests up to that point gives the players. Like pretty much every other MMORPG.

(P.S. the class quests give an upgrade for the Primm, so should presumably be balanced around that upgrade, not the Primm. Unsure if there is another weapon handed out by quests before Nex.)

I'm probably gonna guess / assume that it is an arbitrary concept till more content gets released. Pretty much I'll say in a year, the primary zone will be removed of nay BP once the higher levels comes BP will be more present versus what it is now. Probably with a level cap between 50-75 and needing a much higher BP; say 10000-25000 given that 15=20 is about 1184 on the norm based on the game.