General thoughts on the BP gate?

If you had any idea how long it'll be before the next major content update patch, you wouldn't be in any hurry. BP requirement isn't a hurdle at all, and the people who are screaming about it will be screaming about needing more grinds in a week. Literally a week, literally the same people.

It also is amusing to consider that many of the people who will be doing the internet screaming are PSO2 veterans who have forgotten exactly how much content PSO2 launched with, which isn't much. This is a long haul game which you don't need to stress about. Come talk smack in the lobby.

@Tsacar said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

If you had any idea how long it'll be before the next major content update patch, you wouldn't be in any hurry. BP requirement isn't a hurdle at all, and the people who are screaming about it will be screaming about needing more grinds in a week. Literally a week, literally the same people.

It also is amusing to consider that many of the people who will be doing the internet screaming are PSO2 veterans who have forgotten exactly how much content PSO2 launched with, which isn't much. This is a long haul game which you don't need to stress about. Come talk smack in the lobby.

A lot of people got spoiled with PSO2 Global content being rushed out the door.

@Kofi9867

I found out the hard way its not just about battle power but levels as-well.

Coming into a game with gear from PSO2 I got to Battle Power 1184 by 12th level only to find out my level was too low and my damage would be reduced because of the enemies in the UQ were lvl 17.

For me its like this: Imagine playing dungeons and dragons and being 5 levels lower than the boss monster. The DM penalizes you by reducing your damage. You kill the boss taking longer than the norm. The DM then decides to give you barely any exp for the time, effort and skill to kill said boss( Sounds like a vindictive DM now doesn't it). It has happened to our group in DnD in the past and the whole group let that DM know it ruined their campaign and thus the whole experience.

It is the first game Ive played that reduces your damage for being 5 levels below monsters and gives bare minimum exp when you actually kill the monsters anyway. I did this solo so I wasn't leeching or trying benefit off others hard work as I can understand the point about leeches just hanging nearby not doing much or helping out.

While I don't hate this new system, I dont really like it either at this point.

I had required BP for the UQs at one point while my level was 12, it warned me about the above 5 level difference but allowed me in anyway and of course I was doing way lower damage as everything I did to the boss had "Defend" written on it. Pretty poor system in allowing that.

@VoisonBerry

You can say Sega got spoiled too by the amount of people buying all the Premium, Special deal packs, AC and SG crammed into the last year with Global trying to play catch up. I know I spent a fair bit of money on them.

Dont get me wrong, I do not regret the money I invested into PSO2 at all.

I just reckon Sega were spoilt as much as we were thats all.

I'm neutral to it now, but I'm sure I'll have an issue with it down the road when the BP requirements start to get ridiculous.

@Tsacar said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

You're definitely referring to the folks that were stuck on PSO2 JP for years because it looked like no global release was happening, so it's not them, as PSO JP started with nothing.

@VoisonBerry said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

A lot of people got spoiled with PSO2 Global content being rushed out the door.

I actually like the slower pace of NGS currently. Means I can stay logged off for a few days without missing much

I don't think the BP system is too absurd, just upgrading your weapons and units partially can get you past then 1100 required for story and 1184 for UQ pretty easily. I think my weapon is 4* +30 and units are carry over Klauz from PSO2.

I'm still more in favor of actual skill check rather than gear check though.

I'm so happy it exists.

I am not familiar with it, but I am guessing the BP Gate is to deter cheaters.

For example, going in with 1200BP when your agenda is to raise your lv1 Gunner.

@HarmlessSyan said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I don't think the BP system is too absurd, just upgrading your weapons and units partially can get you past then 1100 required for story and 1184 for UQ pretty easily. I think my weapon is 4* +30 and units are carry over Klauz from PSO2.

I'm still more in favor of actual skill check rather than gear check though.

The BP system isn't absurd but trying to gather materials to upgrade your equipment and finding nothing is.

@Robo-Mason-S said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

I am not familiar with it, but I am guessing the BP Gate is to deter cheaters.

For example, going in with 1200BP when your agenda is to raise your lv1 Gunner.

Funnily enough it doesn't actually prevent that situation (assuming you're talking about subclasses, since you couldn't do that on a mainclass anyway), because BP doesn't take subclass level into account. It takes subclass skill points into account, but that's not based on level in NGS.

@Akonyl What about if I go in as a Hunter, but then I use a weapon that drops me below the BP prerequisite? Will the BP Gate still accept that?

@Robo-Mason-S said in General thoughts on the BP gate?:

@Akonyl What about if I go in as a Hunter, but then I use a weapon that drops me below the BP prerequisite? Will the BP Gate still accept that?

If you just mean intentionally weaponswapping to something awful after passing a BP gate, I assume it'll let you. But at that point you're just intentionally griefing, so no type of BP system's gonna stop you from doing that anyway if you really wanna troll.

I guess I could see a situation though like: You have a level 20 gunner with good gear, and decide to level Hunter, so you go Hu/Gu and equip your good guns to bypass BP gates, and then you swap to your sword that isn't good enough to pass the requirements afterwards. I don't think there's anything stopping you from that, but not like I've tested it.

Bp makes it so that people don't get in with just a level requirement. Think of it as doing TPD with Brissa units in PSO2.