@Blade-Syphon said in Where the content sega?:
The literal point I was making is that claiming a game is dying when you only have one platform's player number is silly. We factually do not know what Epic, Microsoft, or Xbox's playercount is. For all we know, it could be just as large as Steam's is
Unless NGS blocks are way larger than the 200 they seem to be, that isn't really possible. If they were, there'd have been ~240,000 players across ~440 blocks (including OG PSO2) at NGS launch, which would have needed like 550 players per block.
Given that Steam's peak number was ~70% what appeared to be the NGS launch capacity, we can fairly reasonably conclude that Steam had the majority of all NGS players at NGS launch with the other three splitting the remaining 30% (I'd expect something like 20-25% Xbox and 5-10% split between Microsoft Store and Epic Games Store but acknowledge that'd be an emotive guess on my part).
And yeah that balance may have shifted quite a lot now, but really how many full blocks are there on Ships 1, 2 and 4 right now? Supposing each NGS block is 200 players and each PSO2 block is 100, Ship 3 has just over 4,000 players connected at a time when Steam is reporting ~10,400. In the other ecosystems combined to all be "just as large as Steam", there'd need to be 41,600 players overall (just under half NGS launch capacity), i.e. Ships 1 and 2 in particular would need to have more than half of their blocks full.
I have no visibility of the other ships, but you guys tell me: Is that the case?
@John-Paul-RAGE said in Where the content sega?:
Dying is always an exaggerated word, but it is in a huge decline and likely will be down to the normal PSO2 population by the time the next major content update comes out
Agreed here. NGS was never going to keep its launch spike. No game ever does that. But we're in an age where games iterate and refresh much more quickly than this. PSO2 took 8 years to complete 6 episodes. By contrast the likes of Fortnite has 16 seasons in less than 4 years, Fall Guys is talking about going into season 5 before its first birthday and so on. And yes those are different genres, but they're still live-service games.
It seems pretty obvious Sega are (or at least were) planning to be satisfied with being players' "B-side" game, a game they stay on top of without it being their primary game. Perhaps that's how it always worked for PSO2. The approach doesn't seem to be popular even in Japan for NGS anymore though, which might be an indicator that players only stuck around for the tail end of Episode 6 in the hope that New Genesis and an open-world format would bring a more rapid iteration pace than JP experienced - particularly with the later episodes as it was almost 5½ years between the start of PSO2 Episode 4 and New Genesis.
That time period included months of one Ridroid Quest, over half a year of one Buster Quest and over a year of one (if more self-varied) Divide Quest. In hindsight I can't blame them for wanting a bit more pace to the arrival of new content, and that is the topic.