Where the content sega?

It’s up to Sega to decide which group pays for more stuff in NGS. ;3

@Pariah-Chan

Well PSO is purely based around gambling for cosmetics so they dont really focus a group. And truth be told they never focused a certain group to begin with just look at PvP. PvP was the opportunity and leech some of the hardcore competitive PvP players and what did Sega do ? They let it die out until no one even bothered playing PvP at all.

If you focus a certain group you need to put work into content for said group which goes against Segas "bare minimum" policy. Scratches cost them less money and can be made frequently.That way they earn alot of money with minimum effort and work put into it. Lootbox games all work that way.

So yeah PSO will never have hardcore content because competitive players need to be pleased every single month. That means alot of work for Sega......ALOT of work. Right now Sega even nerfed Gigantix already by changing how the weather works and increasing its duration. So as you can see as soon as something becomes hardcore Sega changes that really damn fast. Wish they would fix bug that fast tho.

@Gilver-Redgrave This is an unfortunate pattern that repeatedly occurred in Phantasy Star Online 2 so I can try to make a quick list of what I distinctly recall.

• Magatsu was a boss that was very difficult to fight on launch and the more elite players wanted to speedrun this fight because he was a loot pinata when you won. However, the requirements to speedrun him resulted in a great deal of abandoned groups and Sega's solution (beyond powercreeping as the global version never experienced the challenge) was to limit the number of times you can fight Magatsu in response to people speedrunning him.

• Deus Esca was one of the harder challenges of the game who was notoriously difficult and sent players raging as hardcore players couldn't have consistently successful runs and casual players were often met with hostility for not being prepared or not knowing what to expect. The global players very briefly got to play a post-nerf version of the four-player fight - but this was brutally difficult when it originally launched until Sega nerfed Deus Esca and made him into a pushover. Later on when the Hero gets released this is highlighted even further.

• Phaleg was one of the game's earliest attempts at a hardcore one-on-one fight but was easily trivialized if you were a ranged class who the ability to stay in the air. This wasn't addressed until about Episode 6 when she was given some new attacks (to counter aerial players) and to get a bump in her health to take into account the drastic gameplay changes that happened in Episode 5 and onwards (at that point players always had an advantage over her).

• The Crimson Dragon/Black Dragon was also infamous on release due to the nature of the fight. The Black Dragon specifically had an incapacitation limit that failed for players who went down and required the use of the Laconium Sword with decent precision and timing if you wanted the fight to be done quickly for your rewards and your quest times (they were linked). This was a fight "meant" for the Hero but if you were a Hero during this time you were often kicked from the party due to their nature of being a class that was very easy to play but even easier to fail at. Every other class by this point had a major skill unlocked at Level 85 that gave them some advantage over the Hero whereas the Hero was stuck at Level 80 and unable to keep up unless you were one of those more serious action game players who knew how to play into the Hero's strength. This particular fight I had to solo because I could not find a party who was willing to take me in. Nowadays, the fight is power-crept so much that you can completely brute force the fight (even during our Episode 5 runs) instead.

The "hardcore" content that did exist (Endless Quests especially for Eternal Loner/Forever Loner) and challenges (Omega Masquerade and solo Sodam) are the sorts of end-game challenges I like but my main gripe is that as an action game not all classes are viable in terms of class balance. This isn't me saying a Fighter should've been capable of #1 on Endless Quests or that a Force should be capable of a no-damage Omega Masquerade Depth 999 run under four minutes but that it should've been clear to Sega that something was fundamentally wrong with their classes when the Phantom is the most popular class in the game and dominated everything. It should have been clear that something was wrong when the Gunner/Fighter (with their Level 85 skill) was on top of almost every record for Endless Quests and damage chart and at the same time many of those players had gripes with how the class played (Sega did respond later by nerfing the Gunner's stronger attacks but rebalanced the usability of their other photon arts which gave the Gunner a reason to use more than just Infinite Fire Type-0 all the time). At the pace Sega has for their updates, I cannot help but to see that Sega really likes to setup goalposts and then simultaneously knock them down when it gets cleared in a way they didn't want - while refusing to address that they could have set up something with a stronger and more coherent foundation.

It does not surprise me in the slightest that Gigantix enemies have effectively followed the same fate - within the same week of release.

@Pariah-Chan no it up to the people that pay

@VanillaLucia said in Where the content sega?:

At the pace Sega has for their updates, I cannot help but to see that Sega really likes to setup goalposts and then simultaneously knock them down when it gets cleared in a way they didn't want - while refusing to address that they could have set up something with a stronger and more coherent foundation.

You say "sega does this", i say "add grind, despise the player for skipping or lessening it". Really popular in games with grind, especially game as a sevice games.

Looking at a time table someone made of the times storms have occurred and spawned a gigantix, there can be as much as a 3 hour wait between storms. While clusters of 2-3 storms will occur within 10 or so minutes of eachother, there is always a 1+ hour period afterwards without any gigantix spawning storms.

Sega really doesn't respect our time.

@Yggranya You're not wrong there. I was meaning something along the lines of some other content in the past (Sega knee-jerked a nerf to the Braver and Gunner following a clear of Super Hard Luther which was meant to be a challenge at the time because a Braver/Gunner with a fast-hitting team can easily kill Luther in seconds due to Chain Trigger not being locked to the main class and having synergy with photon arts like Banishing Arrow).

I'm not saying that others haven't done any sorts of knee-jerk reactions with nerfs and tweaks, but Sega notoriously has made "difficult" content for Phantasy Star Online 2 that was either difficult enough that it had to be nerfed and powercrept to be tolerable for most players or was simply unrewarding and too easy for other players. They seem to always swing towards making content easier and the few times they did not budge on this can definitely be seen in what's left of the game's challenges (such as Twisted with Hatred).

@IAMCRAIG said in Where the content sega?:

Sega really doesn't respect our time.

Unfortunately Sega goes back-and-forth with this quite often. I was very surprised to see how differently the global version dished out rewards and content (you had the ability to grind things out "just" like they were on the Japanese side, but you had alternative options like the medal exchanges and collection folders for the same current content (on the Japanese side this was definitely not the case as the medal exchanges were for older equipment and the collection folders expired with specific event-related gear or are sometimes there for campaigns). When you consider how we got Trigger Quests in global for almost every Emergency Quest and the Japanese side only had a very small number of them (meant for Expert Matching unlocking), it puzzles me to see why they couldn't have applied the sorts of quality-of-life to both versions of the game - but I suppose that it shows where Sega's priority is that we are following the Japanese version especially in regards to the scheduling and timing.

@VanillaLucia said in Where the content sega?:

• Magatsu was a boss that was very difficult to fight on launch and the more elite players wanted to speedrun this fight because he was a loot pinata when you won. However, the requirements to speedrun him resulted in a great deal of abandoned groups and Sega's solution (beyond powercreeping as the global version never experienced the challenge) was to limit the number of times you can fight Magatsu in response to people speedrunning him.

The main reason for abandoned groups in Magatsu was because the original weak bullet/blight rounds was completely overpowered, so if there was no ranger in the group, people would leave.

Honestly being forced to play one class does sound like a horrible design, especially when there’s so many classes to chose from.

Like I enjoy playing Ranger on NGS, even tho Fighter is meta for everything currently. XD

@Ezodagrom Personally to me, I would have loved for the Ranger to have moved on beyond being the Weak Bullet user because I still see some of that attitude in New Genesis where people aren't afraid to call out the lack of a Ranger when the fights stretch on in the Emergency Quests.

@IAMCRAIG whats more you are forced to sit there on a lvl 20 so not good for lvling something in the wait times. its over all a fucked up mass. liek if there to much undergeared people you are fucked

I was off on my prediction for 2nd to 3rd weekend. I predicted around a 3k drop, it was a little over 6k. We didn't see a Friday to Saturday bump at all similar to what we saw for the second. As in we literally had no bump, Friday and Saturday numbers were effectively identical.

Take that for what you will, but that makes me a little worried for our upcoming weekday numbers.

Sega, I know you can see what we do. Please just do something as simple as add rewards to the existing cocoons and towers. Put chests at the end after initial completion where you get an additional chest for each condition met and tighter time requirements as well as if it's completed solo. That could at least work as a temporary content loop to keep people active. Chests just need to have items in them like capsules (rarity of drop based off difficulty/time ran), random weapons with increasing chance at fixas, etc. ANYTHING to give people a reason to want to run them and stay engaged!

You can then focus your attention on more group-oriented content loops and things to make this game feel like a true MMO going forward. The old roadmaps aren't going to work if you expect to keep your western audience. Most of what's on there can barely be called filler as adding a new class isn't content it's just a new tool to use through existing content.

@Nasar said in Where the content sega?:

Most of what's on there can barely be called filler as adding a new class isn't content it's just a new tool to use through existing content.

Indeed, especially for those of us that have our class of choice leveled.

Te/Fo leveled, not interested in anything else class wise, which means it's only gameplay from here on out for me. Not that I can seem to accomplish my goals quickly for some reason. Taking me forever to level my gear. I never realized how much not having premium hurts since I can't make meseta in the shop.

Ye Gigas don't help as well as now people sit on them and don't do the grind content.make it longer as well.all in all I see Sega close the game for global as they did for base sea one in the past.by the time they drop the new maps and lvl 35 there won't be any players in game.

The issue here is they won’t just close it for NA, they’ll close it everywhere for underperforming.

The galling part is if that happens, no lessons will be learned. They’ll never figure out where it went wrong and this is why we’re in this mess to begin with. XD