Where the content sega?

@samsaralotus said in Where the content sega?:

@Flowen231 no they just never cared to bring it here. Only resently they discovered that people out of Japan Yakuza games. The just never think we will like it. As strange as it is most of Japan really think people like Japanese things out of Japan.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, because you're not lol. But over in the west we got; PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSO, PSO ep3, PSOBB, PSU, AotI, PSZ, PSP, and PSP2. Not every single one ofc, but sega has had a long history of releasing phantasy star overseas. Which is why I think that pso2 specifically was put on ice out of their fear for bad reception. Otherwise it's just a weird move after announcing its release for 2013.

@Flowen231 said in Where the content sega?:

@Flowen231 no they just never cared to bring it here. Only resently they discovered that people out of Japan Yakuza games. The just never think we will like it. As strange as it is most of Japan really think people like Japanese things out of Japan.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, because you're not lol. But over in the west we got; PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSO, PSO ep3, PSOBB, PSU, AotI, PSZ, PSP, and PSP2. Not every single one ofc, but sega has had a long history of releasing phantasy star overseas. Which is why I think that pso2 specifically was put on ice out of their fear for bad reception. Otherwise it's just a weird move after announcing its release for 2013.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed or not, but apparently, the reason for it taking so long to release was because they didn't think the gacha system would fly with gamers in the west. This could be rubbish though because the loot box system we have in games now is basically the same thing, so it's hard to imagine why Sega would think this would be an issue. At the same time though, Sega are incredibly out of touch, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was the reason why they didn't release the game in the west in 2013.

look all in all its clear that sega want to kill the game. nothing they do so far show any thing but this. make the only content they wanted to add before winter UQ show this the most.

They actually think a 30 minute EQ every 2-8 hours after 3 months wait in a game with 5 hours of content is acceptable. It's legit insulting.

@HermitST said in Where the content sega?:

@Rain-Gnyu said in Where the content sega?:

I have plenty of content from just trying to grind out Mastery III for my future units and weapon. Trying out different combo nations with multi-weapons. Working out better ways of taking down Gigantix solo. Farming mesta for cosmetics and costumes for that unique look. Helping my friend learn and grind for their gear items. Buying and sell items to increase my money flow and savings in game. Speculating Sega approach with the community in game on what Sega future approach to game content ......like the farming task they did in the story line and if they going to add something like that in game. Like that of the guild hall photon Tree. Clues to future content imbedded in the storyline quest. Hey I farmed for the White Disaster Camo and got it for 7mil! I have plenty of content and finding more every day!

Good for you, but for the majority of the players that have played this game, this will not be enough to keep them interested.

Meseta grinding in NGS is not fun. Augment grinding in NGS is not fun. Material grinding in NGS is not fun. Buying cosmetics is really not fun right now because of how screwed up the player market is.

All of this is tedious. If the vast majority of the game I am playing is tedious, then eventually I am just going to stop playing it and move on to a game that is fun to play.

PSO has always been all about grinding. If the gameplay is not fun for you to grind, the game may not be for you. I don't mind grinding because the gameplay is fun.

@BoomBoy said in Where the content sega?:

I have plenty of content from just trying to grind out Mastery III for my future units and weapon. Trying out different combo nations with multi-weapons. Working out better ways of taking down Gigantix solo. Farming mesta for cosmetics and costumes for that unique look. Helping my friend learn and grind for their gear items. Buying and sell items to increase my money flow and savings in game. Speculating Sega approach with the community in game on what Sega future approach to game content ......like the farming task they did in the story line and if they going to add something like that in game. Like that of the guild hall photon Tree. Clues to future content imbedded in the storyline quest. Hey I farmed for the White Disaster Camo and got it for 7mil! I have plenty of content and finding more every day!

Good for you, but for the majority of the players that have played this game, this will not be enough to keep them interested.

Meseta grinding in NGS is not fun. Augment grinding in NGS is not fun. Material grinding in NGS is not fun. Buying cosmetics is really not fun right now because of how screwed up the player market is.

All of this is tedious. If the vast majority of the game I am playing is tedious, then eventually I am just going to stop playing it and move on to a game that is fun to play.

PSO has always been all about grinding. If the gameplay is not fun for you to grind, the game may not be for you. I don't mind grinding because the gameplay is fun.

There's NOTHING to grind for. In PSO1 I grinded so I could go beyond forest ultimate, or grinded so I could do enough DPS to complete timed missions. It had clear cut goals you could grind for. This game has nothing. It's a casual mobile game that has less content than literally any mobile game.

The forum is the content right now, lol

The forums is not the content......lol

@Rain-Gnyu

I have more playtime in the forums then in NGS......lol.

(Maybe i should use that as signature ?) x,D

@Rain-Gnyu to bad i have more fun in here Y_Y

I don't know if it was ever confirmed or not, but apparently, the reason for it taking so long to release was because they didn't think the gacha system would fly with gamers in the west.

It was specifically confirmed to not be that:

The in-game transactions were not the reason. We wanted to release PSO 2 in North America shortly after the release in Japan, but our reason for the delay of the U.S. version was the structure of the operation team necessary to operate an online game. We couldn’t risk releasing the game in a new territory without the right infrastructure in place, so it took some time to set up operations for North America.

This was from an interview with Yuji Nakazawa, PSO2 (then) North America producer, in August 2020.

Interestingly despite quoting this a few times now, I only now notice the interviewer was James Mielke, who (kind of) appeared as a character in Phantasy Star Universe. At the time he was the editor of 1UP.com which sponsored the severely-delayed Global version of the Famitsu Cup event in Universe, and his was one of a handful of names given to self-naming NPCs used to advertise 1UP.com at the end of missions.

@Miraglyth To add to that, SEGA was in a pretty bad state in the west back in 2012/2013, they had just gone through several failures (such as Alien's Colonial Marines and Binary Domain) and had to go through major restructuring and shutdown several offices. It took a few years until they started to recover and started bringing JP franchises to the west again.

@Shiyo said in Where the content sega?:

There's NOTHING to grind for. In PSO1 I grinded so I could go beyond forest ultimate, or grinded so I could do enough DPS to complete timed missions. It had clear cut goals you could grind for. This game has nothing. It's a casual mobile game that has less content than literally any mobile game.

The first release of PSO1 did not have ultimate mode. It ended at very hard mode and had a lvl 100 cap.

Ultimate and lvl 200 cap were introduced in PSO Version 2, the 2nd release for the Dreamcast.

@BoomBoy said in Where the content sega?:

I know it's always been about grinding, but the grinding was always fun in the past, the grind in this game isn't fun. It's incredibly tedious.

@Ezodagrom said in Where the content sega?:

The first release of PSO1 did not have ultimate mode. It ended at very hard mode and had a lvl 100 cap.

To add to that, Very Hard needed clearing Hard and/or level 40 to unlock, and in a decent party it was clearable by level 50. Beyond that there was also little to grind for unless you wanted to wanted to do offline runs faster (or at all, if you were unfortunate or masochistic enough to pick a Force).

@Flowen231 said in Where the content sega?:

and the trend really ended after PSP2, PSP2i wasn't released, PSO2 was 8 years delayed, no PSO2es, no PSNova. I don't think the remake of the first 2 PS were released in the west either, Generation 1 and Generation 2. IDOLA probably only came 2 years late because they released PSO2 and it is not even ran by SEGA - hence no linking up with main PSO2 game like the JP version.

@HarmlessSyan said in Where the content sega?:

IDOLA probably only came 2 years late because they released PSO2 and it is not even ran by SEGA - hence no linking up with main PSO2 game like the JP version.

I was in the IDOLA Discord when the game released back then and the Boltrend representative told us that it was the only way that SEGA would have released it globally... we had talks with him and told us it was impossible for the link to happen, as much as they wanted to.

Also they mentioned the game could run for as long as needed, as the cost of having it hosted was low as "other Boltrend games". So it should be fine for people to get to know the lore, and they are quite near parity with JP already.

Anyone interested in IDOLA but doesn't want to play it: the whole amount of cutscenes are in Youtube, of course.